Notifications
Clear all

Low Dose Accutane 10mg (Claravis)

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/28/2010 1:23 pm

Hello, I decided to make a low dose accutane log.

I am starting today, I just got my prescription from Walgreens and I have no insurance. It was about $220 for a month. I am going to take this after lunch in about 1 hour.

My acne isnt really severe, it was at one point. I have some leftover scars from my old acne. Right now I have 2 active pimples on my chin and a bunch of red marks on my cheeks and forehead. The reason I decided to start Accutane is because about 2 months ago I developed SEVERE acne on my neck. At this point, I am unsure if the outbreak on my neck is acne at all. My neck acne is almost gone but it still feels bumpy and I have one huge pustule. My neck is left with a bunch of hyperpigmentation.

I will update side effects and improvements!

MemberMember
(@del-xx)

Posted : 07/28/2010 2:54 pm

I love your name! - I love it too!

Best of luck! I started yesterday!!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/28/2010 3:34 pm

Thank you for your reply and the support :)

DAY 1

10 mg Clavaris

Side effects: none

Condition: 2 active pimples on chin and neck acne.

MemberMember
(@jason12676)

Posted : 07/28/2010 7:10 pm

I am starting today, I just got my prescription from Walgreens and I have no insurance. It was about $220 for a month. I am going to take this after lunch in about 1 hour.

My acne isnt really severe, it was at one point. I have some leftover scars from my old acne. Right now I have 2 active pimples on my chin and a bunch of red marks on my cheeks and forehead. The reason I decided to start Accutane is because about 2 months ago I developed SEVERE acne on my neck. At this point, I am unsure if the outbreak on my neck is acne at all. My neck acne is almost gone but it still feels bumpy and I have one huge pustule. My neck is left with a bunch of hyperpigmentation.

Check the prices at costco & sams club as they are cheaper than Walgreens and CVS more often than not. You don't need to be a member at either to fill a script.

All the best!!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/29/2010 5:24 pm

Check the prices at costco & sams club as they are cheaper than Walgreens and CVS more often than not. You don't need to be a member at either to fill a script.

All the best!!

Thanks Jason! I have actually checked costco and it is cheaper but they NEVER have the 10 mg.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/29/2010 5:26 pm

Day 2 = 10 mg Claravis

Condition: I have one pimple on my chin. It's really small. I think this was there before I started Accutane.

Side Effects: Woke up this morning and my lips felt more chap than usual. Also my face was slightly less oily (only day 2 dont know if this is possible or just in my head).

MemberMember
(@time_traveler)

Posted : 07/29/2010 5:28 pm

Wow $220 a month, have you tried short term insurance? Good luck either way :D

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/29/2010 8:17 pm

Wow $220 a month, have you tried short term insurance? Good luck either way :D

$220 doesnt even include the blood work and doctor visit

I am getting insurance from my new school soon but as of now i am uncovered.

I did consider short-term insurance but I already waited a REALLY long time to take this and applying for another insurance will only make the wait longer unfortunately. I hope this will be worth it!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/30/2010 1:50 pm

Day 3 10 mg Claravis

Condition: Face is looking ok I can feel a pimple coming out on my chin though I think it has been there for a while b4 tane

My neck is looking way better. It feels bumpy but mainly its just red

Side Effects: Face feels less greasy and woke up with chapped lips but it's not even bad enough to need chapstick. It is just drier than usual

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 07/31/2010 6:03 pm

Day 4: 10 mg Claravis

Condition: Got one tiny pimple near my nose barely noticeable. Pimple on my chin is still there otherwise nothing to report. Neck has a huge bump not sure if its acne.. still red. I feel like my blackheads are gettin a little better

Side Effects: Lips are slightly dry. Face is less greasy!

MemberMember
(@2am)

Posted : 07/31/2010 6:19 pm

congrats on less greasy face.

i freaking hate neck acne haha. they come and they go.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/01/2010 2:25 pm

thanks 2AM :D

Day 5 : 10 mg Claravis

Condition: A few whiteheads have popped out on my neck and face. Nothing too severe to complain about plus they are small. Im not sure if its the tane since its only day 5

Side Effects: Lips are drier than usual but doesnt even bother me enough to want chapstick.

Actually my face look greasy today not sure why. I applied moisturizing lotion (ceptapil) for the very first time so Im not sure if its that or the accutane

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/02/2010 9:54 pm

Day 6 10 mg Claravis

Condition: I have one pimple coming out on the forehead area. Besides that i have a whole bunch on neck

Side Effects: Skin is back to being greasy :( Lips are still slightly more chapped than usual

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/03/2010 7:07 pm

Day 7 10 mg Claravis

nothing report today. pretty much same as last post

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/05/2010 10:53 pm

Day 9 10 mg Claravis

getting some pimples here and there...

neck is still looking horrible. there are also new pimples there. the redness doesnt seem to fade..

skin is still oily. only saw oil reduction first few days of the accutane.

i still do not know what my neck is breaking out so horribly. i never had acne on my neck before and now it looks like i have a skin infection there. :(

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/06/2010 8:42 pm

Day 10 10 mg Claravis ONE PACK DONE

Got a cyst on my back it hurts like hell. Neck has some new active whiteheads and one painful cyst.

Face is looking a little better. I have a few tiny whiteheads coming out and still red from old acne. Face is still greasy.

Lips are drier than before! It is starting to get uncomfortable but not really.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/07/2010 6:08 pm

Day 11 10 mg Claravis Starting Pack 2

Got a cyst on my back it hurts

There is a pimple on the side of my forehead

Neck is looking a little better. It is ALMOST smooth to the touch now still watching for a few pimples to clear up. Otherwise it is still very red and pigmented looking.

My face was less oily today... this has been up and down for me so I'm not quite sure whats going on.

Lips are dry! otherwise no other side effects to report really.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/08/2010 5:15 pm

Day 12 10 mg Claravis

Face is still oily but I am getting less pimples. There is still a pimple on the side of my forehead and I feel one coming out near of my nose.

Neck is clearing with a few active spots and the unavoidable red marks

Side effects are chapped lips but thats it so far

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/11/2010 3:57 pm

Day 15 10 mg Claravis HALF WAY THROUGH FIRST MONTH!

Face is still greasy. Not sure while the tane hasnt been helping..... dont know when the dryness will start kicking in.

A few white heads here in there. They are small so doesnt really bother me.

Neck is clearing up with the except of 1 bump and a bunch of redness

So far I am staying optimistic

The only side effects are chapped lips.

My face might be greasier than usual too. Not sure what's going on with that :(

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/12/2010 7:05 am

Just checking in our log. I took 20 for 2 months. The first 2 weeks or so, I was actually just as oily, maybe more, than usual. Ive read that your body and glands are trying to fight the meds, so they produce more oil. But once the meds take effect, you should notice it let up. Since your on 1/2 the dose I was, that might take a bit longer. I didnt experience any severe drying or flakiness. It got to the point where I definitely wasnt producing excess oil. It was then that I felt dried out, but not flaking all over the places.

Sounds like you are right on track. I would expect in the next 1-2 weeks, the oil will slow down for you. Ev1 is different but I dont think you'll get overly dried out on 10mgs. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/12/2010 8:22 pm

Just checking in our log. I took 20 for 2 months. The first 2 weeks or so, I was actually just as oily, maybe more, than usual. Ive read that your body and glands are trying to fight the meds, so they produce more oil. But once the meds take effect, you should notice it let up. Since your on 1/2 the dose I was, that might take a bit longer. I didnt experience any severe drying or flakiness. It got to the point where I definitely wasnt producing excess oil. It was then that I felt dried out, but not flaking all over the places.

Sounds like you are right on track. I would expect in the next 1-2 weeks, the oil will slow down for you. Ev1 is different but I dont think you'll get overly dried out on 10mgs. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this reply. It makes me feel a little better. I was getting irritated with this oil. Im thinking of telling my dermatologist to bump me up to 20mg and just do 20mg from now till the end. Still unsure if its too soon. Thanks for the reply tho! gives me hope

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/12/2010 8:25 pm

Day 16 10 Mg Claravis

Condition: Oily skin!! looks very oily. Makes me glad im on summer vacation. Im still not sure if the oily is a result of my Cetaphil moisturizer.

I am also getting a few pimples on the chin but its nothing severe. They are small

Side Effects: lips arent chapped today oddly.

Getting 2nd month's prescription soon. Might bump up to 20 mg. Im still undecided.

I was thinking of doing 10 mg for 3 months and 20 mg for 3 months. But now I just feel I shud do 20 mg for the rest of the course...

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/13/2010 5:53 pm

Day 17 10 mg Claravis

Condition: Face has a few whiteheads. One cyst-like pimple is coming out on the side of my forehead. Not sure if it is one since it is small. Neck is pretty clear just red. Not sure if im experiencing a little IB but it is nothing to moan about.

Woke up this morning and my face wasnt covered in grease like it usually is haha. My oiliness has been pretty unstable, one day ill be super greasy and now I was only a little greasy.

Side Effects: Chapped lips not severe or bothersome

MemberMember
(@martini99)

Posted : 08/13/2010 7:11 pm

Hey there, we must have started on the same day - I'm at day 17 too!

Hang in there. I'm only on 20mg so fairly low dose too. How much do you weigh? Do you know when you'll reach your minimum cumulative dose? 10mg is pretty low but I'm sure your derm has their reasons for starting out at 10. My oiliness went straight away but I got an IB around day 11. Is just clearing up now I think. Good luck on your course!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/14/2010 10:52 pm

hey there martini. im not sure when ill reach my cumulative dose but i am planning on taking accutane for 6 months. next month my doctor will prescribe me 20mg and i will most likely take 20mg from there. Im 140lbs so i do think 10mg is too little for me. my acne isnt too severe though. it was at one point but yeah. i really hope i dont get IB when switching to 20 mg. I will be comparing our logs (if you have one) :)