Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so I am a teacher (maths and science) and I have been looking for a job. I have been on 4 interviews so far, but although I am qualified and experienced etc. I feel I am not getting the job because of acne. I have been on the regimen (BP + AHA) for quite a while now and I would say it has reduced my acne by 90%. But...I still usually have atleast 1 active pimple, and for me, even the smallest pimple leaves a red/dark spot for weeks. So my face looks very uneven.

This one interview I went on, the Principal kept staring at my 1 pimple, it was crazy. He was probably wondering how come I still have acne when I am not a teenager anymore. But doesn't he know 1 out of 5 adult women still suffers from acne?

I seriously don't know what to do...I am actually thinking of changing my career and learning something in computers. I feel like I should go into a career where I can sit behind a computer and do my work and people won't judge me based on my looks...

I love teaching but what's the use when no one will hire me...

My options are:

To take accutane...and risk all the side-effects....

OR

Change my career...

I would not reccomend giving up your dream because of acne. But it's your life, and ultimately up to you. Also, are you sure it's because of your acne? Many people are having a hard time finding jobs right now, not saying you are wrong, but just something to think about...

Good luck, and I hope you find happiness. :)

you're obviously not stupid as you are a teacher, and i'm 99% sure you probably know this already... so please don't assume i'm patronizing...but acne causes bad confidence issues, low self esteem and low confidence overall (even a tiny bit of acne will completely fuck me up). so Perhaps you're not getting where you want to be in the interviews because you dont have that spark and confidence that is usually required in those who should be teaching the youth? and with that you are not really dazzling the interviewer like you normally would without your skin problem?

again, i hope i don't sound like an arse. but 4 in a row makes me think its not the interviewer's problem (and prejudice against poor skin) but your own problem, perhaps with confidence

just my guess from reading your post. please dont take offense

I would not reccomend giving up your dream because of acne. But it's your life, and ultimately up to you. Also, are you sure it's because of your acne? Many people are having a hard time finding jobs right now, not saying you are wrong, but just something to think about...

Good luck, and I hope you find happiness. :)

Well that is true too. The economy is really bad right now, and there is a scarcity of teaching jobs in Toronto and Canada in general. I cannot move out of Toronto right now and the teaching job market is quite bad here. I used to work in UK and there I easily got teaching jobs in spite of acne because of teaching shortage there.

I guess here in Toronto when they have so many applicants, they would hire someone with no acne...Right now I do online tutoring but the pay is not good...but atleast no one judges my work based on how I look...

To be frank though I am a bit disillsuioned with teaching too...esp, in public schools. Some of the kids are rude and obnoxious and they simply don't want to learn, and they disrupt it for others too. They come to school only because it is compulsory. They don't respect the teacher, keep disrupting, and most of the teacher's energy goes in controlling these kids which could have been spent in teaching. They can't even be pulled out of the class because of the inclusive education policy. Private schools are much better as far as classroom management.

I went into teaching because I like teaching and helping kids learn, but after doing it for a couple of years I have realized teaching in public schools is more about being a disciplinarian than a teacher. There are rude kids who keep talking, disrupting when the teacher is trying to teach. The parents don't teach them how to respect etc. at home. Many of them come from single mother/parent families and there is simply no one at home to discipline them. When the parent is called for parent-teacher meetings, they instead blame the teacher if the kid is failing and disrupting. There are 30 kids in the class and the teacher is supposed to make sure everyone has sufficient knowledge to pass the class but some of these kids simply don't want to learn and want to disrupt it for others too.

That's why I am mainly looking to teach in private schools now because they have lower student teacher ratio, and classroom management is easier. But I am also looking into computers as a career change...

I bet it has more to do with your disenchantment with teaching as a profession than with your acne. They're probably looking for a candidate who's genuinely enthusiastic about the opportunity, and it doesn't sound as if you are. Maybe it's a good thing you're having a hard time finding a teaching job so you can use this time to focus on your true career goals and what will make you most fulfilled. Best of luck!

If you have such a low opinion of "public school kids" than maybe this job is not for you. It takes a great deal of passion and committment to become a teacher and if you are already discouraged, maybe something else would be more appropriate as a career. Remember yourself at that age, were you always a perfect kid who always had the desire to learn? It's unrealistic to expect kids to constantly want to be in school and want to learn. I'll agree with you on the respect issue, kids definatley need some lessons in respect and parents these days are awful. Always wanting to be a "friend" instead of a parent. I know this from work as well. Maybe you would be better suited at teaching college?

If you have such a low opinion of "public school kids" than maybe this job is not for you. It takes a great deal of passion and committment to become a teacher and if you are already discouraged, maybe something else would be more appropriate as a career. Remember yourself at that age, were you always a perfect kid who always had the desire to learn? It's unrealistic to expect kids to constantly want to be in school and want to learn. I'll agree with you on the respect issue, kids definatley need some lessons in respect and parents these days are awful. Always wanting to be a "friend" instead of a parent. I know this from work as well. Maybe you would be better suited at teaching college?

I have done my masters in chemistry and I actually enjoyed working in a research lab. But the pay was minimal. I used to be a lab teaching assistant and quite enjoyed that but I realize now it was probably because it was first year University students, kids who really wanted to be there. But teaching public school is a whole different ballgame. Even if there are 3 or 4 kids in the class who don't want to be there, they can make life hell for the teacher and the other kids. All the energy goes into disciplining them, and there is no use sending them to Principal. I have had a student in my class who told the Principal to F*** off... I have seen a teacher cry because some girls swore at her in front of her...There is not much incentive for good teachers to work hard because even the below average and average teachers get the same pay. The pay is based on how many years you teach, and not on how good you teach. So i have seen some tenured teachers who do only the bare minimum and still get the same pay as someone who is slogging it off and helping students even during lunch time.

Plus I feel I am not being intellectually challenged enough. The lesson plans are already provided to the teachers, so its basically teaching the same thing every year. So the main skills a teacher needs is being a Hitler and how to keep everyone in control. At least this is the case I find in public schools.

I think in private schools it is better because it is low student teacher ratio, so classroom management is easier and you can do some creative things there. But they don't pay well in private schools, atleast here in Canada. Most of the private schools pay around $24,000-#30,000 per year while the public schools pay $50,000 even for first year. That's what I got paid in public schools so that was a big jump for me because I was only getting $18,000 as a graduate student.

But what is the use of that good pay if that job is not fulfilling for you...Even though I was making $50,000 per year, most of that I saved because I am not into buying things I don't really need.

If you want to work in research full time, you need to have atleast a PhD....I am already 30, and I don't think I can devote 4 years for that right now...I plan to have kids in the next 3-4 years...because it is not advisable to have kids after 35...

Its just very confusing right now....

I have done my masters in chemistry and I actually enjoyed working in a research lab. But the pay was minimal. I used to be a lab teaching assistant and quite enjoyed that but I realize now it was probably because it was first year University students, kids who really wanted to be there. But teaching public school is a whole different ballgame. Even if there are 3 or 4 kids in the class who don't want to be there, they can make life hell for the teacher and the other kids. All the energy goes into disciplining them, and there is no use sending them to Principal. I have had a student in my class who told the Principal to F*** off... I have seen a teacher cry because some girls swore at her in front of her...There is not much incentive for good teachers to work hard because even the below average and average teachers get the same pay. The pay is based on how many years you teach, and not on how good you teach. So i have seen some tenured teachers who do only the bare minimum and still get the same pay as someone who is slogging it off and helping students even during lunch time.

Plus I feel I am not being intellectually challenged enough. The lesson plans are already provided to the teachers, so its basically teaching the same thing every year. So the main skills a teacher needs is being a Hitler and how to keep everyone in control. At least this is the case I find in public schools.

I think in private schools it is better because it is low student teacher ratio, so classroom management is easier and you can do some creative things there. But they don't pay well in private schools, atleast here in Canada. Most of the private schools pay around $24,000-#30,000 per year while the public schools pay $50,000 even for first year. That's what I got paid in public schools so that was a big jump for me because I was only getting $18,000 as a graduate student.

But what is the use of that good pay if that job is not fulfilling for you...Even though I was making $50,000 per year, most of that I saved because I am not into buying things I don't really need.

If you want to work in research full time, you need to have atleast a PhD....I am already 30, and I don't think I can devote 4 years for that right now...I plan to have kids in the next 3-4 years...because it is not advisable to have kids after 35...Oh I am not dating anyone currently...so my life is pretty much F*** up right now....

Edited by hina79

Ok so I am a teacher (maths and science) and I have been looking for a job. I have been on 4 interviews so far, but although I am qualified and experienced etc. I feel I am not getting the job because of acne. I have been on the regimen (BP + AHA) for quite a while now and I would say it has reduced my acne by 90%. But...I still usually have atleast 1 active pimple, and for me, even the smallest pimple leaves a red/dark spot for weeks. So my face looks very uneven.

This one interview I went on, the Principal kept staring at my 1 pimple, it was crazy. He was probably wondering how come I still have acne when I am not a teenager anymore. But doesn't he know 1 out of 5 adult women still suffers from acne?

I seriously don't know what to do...I am actually thinking of changing my career and learning something in computers. I feel like I should go into a career where I can sit behind a computer and do my work and people won't judge me based on my looks...

My options are:

OR

Change my career...

Are you serious! 1 pimple? Perhaps you were very nervous because he was looking at your pimple. You should have acted professional instead of looking at his eyes. My aunt is a teacher and she suffered from acne when she was a teenager and she still got the job. She's very smart.

I know it's harder now to look for a job than before. I would say keep trying, you'll get a job soon.

You don't need to change your career. If teaching is what you love, then go for it! Don't hesitate.

Be yourself when you get an interview and be professional. :)

Speaking of career, I am very shy and quiet and I still want to become a nurse. I am going for it.

I am going to end the shyness,etc. It won't be easy.

Oh, and I am clear which I am happy.. I've been clear for a year.. I do get occasional zits. But at least not big acne like i used to have. I know how it feels because I used to get pea sized acne and it sucks, what's more, I used to get 2-3 sometimes. I remember getting 2-3 small acne in the same place! Which makes it like one.

Edited by EddieE

I've been turned down a job because of acne before... I thought the interview was going pretty smoothly then all of a sudden, he's like, "What's this about?" and waves his hand over his face. I didn't know what to say but, "Yeah... haha." I was thinking, "Are you seriously making an issue out of my acne?" So I think I just told him, "I'm doing what I can about it." Needless to say, I was not hired. But it was a sales job so sometimes people opt for the beautiful face instead of the experienced professional. Fair enough. But ever since then, I have always been a little more concious about my acne in interviews, wondering if that will be the deal-breaker.

So now that I've moved back from California, and my acne is as bad as ever, I'm just going to take an overnight warehouse job. But it's ok though because I really wanted to try something different and a warehouse job is much more stable than a sales job.

i went through the same thing. they think you dont wash your face and that your dirty bc you have acne.

thats y they didnt hire me im suree...they hired my friend who doesnt have acne even though we fit the same qualifications and called them back at the same time..said the same things in the interview.

I have to say that I think it was unprofessional for the interviewer to look at your face instead of keeping eye contact with you. That means his concentration was not fully on hearing your answers to the questions.

On an another note, I wish legislation would bar employment discrimination against people with skin diseases. I am sure there are biased employees out there who are involved in the recruitment process of hiring and they let their personal thoughts and opinions get in the way of selecting a great applicant for hire.

My options are:

OR

Change my career...

im sorry but this is ridiculous, get a grip. come on its nothing..

Edited by o_Adam_o