Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stripes79

question for guys who wear makeup

I've finally decided to start wearing makeup to diminish my red marks but now instead of being worried about people noticing my spots, I am paranoid that they can tell I have makeup on. So for all male makeup wearers, do you think others can tell and if so do you care? I would also appriciate any tips on making it less obvious. Right now I have been using just a tiny bit of makeup--enough to make my marks more subtle but not so much as to totally cover them. I figure the less makeup I have on the less noticable it will be.

You took the words right out of my mouth, my concealer looks so bad that I'm sure people can tell. But no one has said a thing. But I don't really care.

Anyway I would also appreciate any help regarding make up. I always see girls wearing make up and you can hardly tell but mine looks so flaky.

Think as long as you get the right shade of concealer, and apply it in direct sunlight (it becomes more obvious outside) you should be fine.

Used to worry too about people noticing - but for the huge confidence boost wearing a little makeup gives ive stopped caring - a few feet away and you wouldn't think i had a single spot wink.gif

I use the body shops' tea-tree cover stick for my skin - it seems to dry up spots while hiding them which is a bonus. Plus its fairly cheap and lasts for ages, downside being its only available in a few shades so be careful.

It always helps to leave a couple of blemishes (especially newer ones) completely untouched - it makes the overall effect more natural looking; finally, don't go overboard - once you start covering up dark shadows under the eyes and accentuating cheek bones theres no going back :lol:

Go stand in your backyard with a mirror and apply your make-up until it isn't noticeable in that lighting. If it isn't noticeable in that lighting, people will never know you are wearing make up.

Strangely enough I used some concealer today and it looked great, I could barely tell I was wearing any. But yesterday I felt really self concious about it like everybody could tell I was wearing it.

I agree with justlikehoney about leaving a few exposed, people will become suspicious if you go from acne to having perfect looking skin in one day.

I also agree with justlikehoney about how make-up gives you a load of extra confidence even if people can tell your weraing it.

um...for the guys that wear makeup, don't people come up to you and ask if you are wearing makeup? I know I can usually tell if a girl is wearing makeup and i know if i did see a guy with it on, i would probably would wonder if he's gay.

It always helps to leave a couple of blemishes (especially newer ones) completely untouched - it makes the overall effect more natural looking; finally, don't go overboard - once you start covering up dark shadows under the eyes and accentuating cheek bones theres no going back  :lol:

Think it depends how you go about it, Tacey; personally, i have never had anyone come up to me on the street & ask me if im wearing makeup! Obviously, ive mentioned it to girlfriends, and theyve always thought it was pretty cool (guess i tend to go out with progressive girls wink.gif )

If a lad were to wear blusher, eyeshadow & lipstick i think he might run into some problems... but keeping it subtle, no one notices - in fact, il probably continue with the concealer long after my skin has cleared up because i like the effect it has.

Your final point, about people questioning your sexuality if they see you wearing makeup... first off, it doesnt concern me if they do, if people want to assume on the basis of appearance alone thats completely up to them. Secondly, i tend to project a somewhat effeminate image anyways - im a skinny, long hair, girls'-jeans-wearing kinda guy so im pretty used to it tongue.gif (ive actually had numerous occasions of blokes on trains glacing quickly across & offering me their seat, thinking im of the fairer sex... then they see the stubble... :lol: )

Guest Pookie

I know a lot of guys that use concealer..even had mine swipped a few times by close friends!! I totally think it's fine..but do apply carefully and blend blend blend! Many acne creams come in tinted formulas...if you're super worried just tell people it's that. Most people won't notice though. wink.gif We all just want to look our best!

Ive been wearing makeup now for ohhh 4 years or so...started wearing dermablend when my skin was HORRIBLE...bad BAD cystic acne...it was so bad I would not leave the house...almost lost my job over it. Till my Derm told me about dermablend. Wore that for like 3 and a half years...then just recently switched to Coverblend about 6 months ago...much better...I think the coverage looks nicer and less noticeable and it feels less makeupy...though it still of course doesn't feel "natural" but then again if I am wearing makeup I cant imagine it will ever feel "natural". Im sure some people can tell..specially in bad lighting...and Ive mentioned it to some people that I wear it and just recently a girl at work said... well till you mentioned it I was on the fence..I thought you might but I just wasn't sure. I figure if she couldnt be totally sure then it can't look that bad.

My only problem is on some days I just know it looks bad...and I am a very worry-some person always checking on it in the bathroom and stuff. I use clean and clear oil absorbing pads a lot during the day to soak up excess oil so it doesn't look as shiney and I bring a powder puff with some extra loose powder on it and keep it in my pocket in a plastic bag incase I need it.

But overall it gives me the confidence to go out and face the world...I just can't bring myself to ever leave the house without it on anymore...so that is bad in one way, but then again if it helps..do it. If someone thinks Im gay because of it, so be it...thats life, not everyone will ever understand the pain ..especially emotionally of having acne and the scars it leaves.

Right now my skin is A LOT better then it used to be...for the last ohhhh 3 weeks ( knock on plenty of wood) I have had only some small pimples that go away rather quickly. What I am left with is plenty of red marks and some weird raised shiny areas on my face...thats the part that bugs me...those are harder to hide then a pimple, specially since years of acne has left me with many, MANY scars and little indents and stuff. I mean its not like horribly indented but theres enough of them to make a difference.

I hope one day to be able to not wear makeup anymore, or maybe just powder to help the shine...but in the mean time, Im not embarresed by it...but the inconvienience of it sucks..

Thanks for the info guys. It's been about a week since I started the makeup and it has definatley given me a slight boost in confidence although it is only the lesser of two evils. It's better than having my redmarks exposed for the world to see but I fear that it is obvious that I have it on so I am still a bit self conscious. Anyway, I recently started IPL (intense pulsed light) treatment for my red marks and next week is my second session. So far I have had no results but it's only been one session so I am optimistic that a few more and I won't feel the need to wear makeup at all afterwards. The idea of having to wear makeup for the rest of my adult life is a very very depressing notion. God I hope this treatment works! By the way before you tell me that red marks will fade in 6 months on their own, that has not been the case for me. I have had some red marks for years and they look exactly the same as they did before so "waiting it out" is not a viable option for me.

Your make-up applying skills will improve in time as will the products you use.

I cringe when I think about what I must have looked like the first time I applied my concealer, but now about three months after I started it looks a lot better.

Good luck.

Good luck with the light treatments and please let us know how it goes!! I know it is very depressing to think I may have to wear makeup for the better part of my life to just feel normal...Maybe I can get enough money one day to have some treatments done...I just wish insurance covered them, its not just cosmetic, I wish they realized how traumatic acne and scars from acne are!!

good luck with wearing the makeup...I still feel self conscious about it but I also figure its better then without it...so its damned if I do and damed if i dont! lol

I hate to say this, but I can almost always tell when a girl wears foundation no matter how lightly she applies it. Mainly because i'm so self concious of my own makeup...I would advise guys to steer clear of a full face of makeup because i'm sure it'd be noticeable..I think lightly touching up a few bright red marks with a concealer that matches your skin tone exactly is fine but laying on thick foundation or the wrong colored concealer is a dead give away. I agree with doing it in the best lighting possible. I guess it's a double standard but if i was a guy, i wouldn't even worry about wearing makeup. I feel as though girls are "supposed" to look flawless and pretty all the time.

I stoped wearing make up cuz it was to noticeable. But there are some make up sticks that works real well i see my mom use it and it looks like flawless skin but then again it does depend on how much you put

I use Bare Esentials foundation. I mixed 2 shades to match my skin tone.. and I apply it with the little spot brush.. just a little of it onto the red marks and zits. I then apply the mineral veil(powder) they make (I dab it on with a cotton ball. They say to use a their brush but that seems to kinda brush the foundation away and flake it.. the dabbing with the cotton ball gives it a much more natural finish.) Ive been wearing makeup for a while.. and have always been self conscious about people noticing it. I just recently started using the veil over the foundation though.. and it really makes it look alot more natural.. and it makes the zit bumps seem alot less noticable because it takes the shine away. It doesnt actually seem like anyone ever notices.. and I really dont care if they do. I just tell most people that I wear it.. if you're confident with what you do people dont really care.

The only time anyone ever noticed was my dad.. we were in walmart(bright florecent lighting) and he noticed and told me how terrible it looked (great confidence booster he is.) The only reason he noticed though is because it was before I blended the colors.. so the color was way diiferent then my skin tone (which I didnt notice when I put it on.. the lighting was too dark.) So once I mixed the tones and added a few extra light bulbs in my bathroom he never noticed again.. and no ones ever said anything other then that time. The only time it ever looks noticable to me is after sex.. just because its half sweated off.. but my girlfriend knows I wear it anyway so I dont care. Plus the room is dark enough.

As far as people thinking Im gay.. I couldnt care less about that. I look gay as it is, as far as how I dress and my pefectly done hair and just my overall look. Im quite a metrosexual and rather proud of it. Every guy on tv wears makeup. All those gorgeous guys that girls obsess over with "perfectly clear skin"..movie stars, models.. they all wear makeup. So why shouldn't I? Putting your best face on in todays society is somewhat expected.. so covering up yur zits is a good thing.

I use Bare Esentials foundation. I mixed 2 shades to match my skin tone.. and I apply it with the little spot brush.. just a little of it onto the red marks and zits. I then apply the mineral veil(powder) they make (I dab it on with a cotton ball. They say to use a their brush but that seems to kinda brush the foundation away and flake it.. the dabbing with the cotton ball gives it a much more natural finish.) Ive been wearing makeup for a while.. and have always been self conscious about people noticing it. I just recently started using the veil over the foundation though.. and it really makes it look alot more natural.. and it makes the zit bumps seem alot less noticable because it takes the shine away. It doesnt actually seem like anyone ever notices.. and I really dont care if they do. I just tell most people that I wear it.. if you're confident with what you do people dont really care.

The only time anyone ever noticed was my dad.. we were in walmart(bright florecent lighting) and he noticed and told me how terrible it looked (great confidence booster he is.) The only reason he noticed though is because it was before I blended the colors.. so the color was way diiferent then my skin tone (which I didnt notice when I put it on.. the lighting was too dark.) So once I mixed the tones and added a few extra light bulbs in my bathroom he never noticed again.. and no ones ever said anything other then that time. The only time it ever looks noticable to me is after sex.. just because its half sweated off.. but my girlfriend knows I wear it anyway so I dont care. Plus the room is dark enough.

As far as people thinking Im gay.. I couldnt care less about that. I look gay as it is, as far as how I dress and my pefectly done hair and just my overall look. Im quite a metrosexual and rather proud of it. Every guy on tv wears makeup. All those gorgeous guys that girls obsess over with "perfectly clear skin"..movie stars, models.. they all wear makeup. So why shouldn't I? Putting your best face on in todays society is somewhat expected.. so covering up yur zits is a good thing.

I think soon instead of just spot covering Im gonna switch to a mens makeup line (studio5ive) and do my whole face.. it'd probably look more natural that way.. and my skin would look overall alot better. Ill post when I get it and tell you all if the stuff is good or not.

Why would it make you gay if you wear make-up ?? What, only gays like to have respectable looking skin and not something horribly deformed ?? It doesn't make any sence.

I'm about to go out wearing make-up for the first time, and honestly even if people do tell it's still much better than seeing my real face.

Guys wearing makeup isn't gay at all... its just extremely narrow-minded people who think that way. Having good looking skin is a good thing. So go wear your makeup with pride. cool.gif