Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goldenbear2

over 50mg of spiro doesnt do anything?

ive been on 50mg of spiro for about 6 weeks and my skin is still bad and i went this morning and she seemed to be out of ideas. she recommened a THIRD round of accutane or lasers. I'm a bit nervous to do accutane again, especially since i thought twice was limit and pushing it. anyways, i asked if i could go on a higher amount of spiro and she said there's no point in going over 50mg because its all the same after that. has anyone had better experience on 100 or 150 rather than 50?

I've never personally taken it but I've done a lot of research into hormonal acne and I can tell you that there are plenty of women who take up to 200 mg of spiro per day. Many don't see any results until their dosage is upped to at least 100 mg. Also, you should consider taking it with Yasmin as it is the equivalent to 25 mg of spiro which would up your dosage to 75 mg if your doctor won't budge. Or you could find a different doctor.

Good luck :)

Interesting. My dermatologist said something similar, but the threshhold was different. He started me out on 50 mg, then after a month he agreed to up me to 100 mg. He said that if I'm not seeing enough improvement by my next appointment (2 months out), that we could up to 150 mg, but that he wouldn't up my dosage to 200 mg because you don't get better results past 150. BTW -- my skin is still bad, too! Maybe even worse!

Interesting. My dermatologist said something similar, but the threshhold was different. He started me out on 50 mg, then after a month he agreed to up me to 100 mg. He said that if I'm not seeing enough improvement by my next appointment (2 months out), that we could up to 150 mg, but that he wouldn't up my dosage to 200 mg because you don't get better results past 150. BTW -- my skin is still bad, too! Maybe even worse!

Just hang in there through the first 6-9 months. When it starts to work it can be pretty dramatic. Keep up with skin care of course. My daughter's skin took a huge leap forward after a vi-peel or two combined with some genesis laser treatments. The vi-peel kills all the bacteria and the genesis helped heal the scars. It was a knock-out combo. Good luck.

I would recommend everyone taking Spiro for hormonal acne to see an endocrinologist. IMO (and I know this is a generalization) dermatologists don't understand hormonal acne like endocrinologists do. My endocrinologist prescribed 200 mg Spiro right off the bat. She said at least 100 mg is usually needed for acne, and 200 mg if you have other hormonal issues such as hirsutism. I've been taking 200 mg daily and bcp's for the past 4 years and my skin has been consistently clear (aside from the occasional small pimple). I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion and asking for a referral to an endocrinologist. Good luck!

Edited by peachy_D225

I would recommend everyone taking Spiro for hormonal acne to see an endocrinologist. IMO (and I know this is a generalization) dermatologists don't understand hormonal acne like endocrinologists do. My endocrinologist prescribed 200 mg Spiro right off the bat. She said at least 100 mg is usually needed for acne, and 200 mg if you have other hormonal issues such as hirsutism. I've been taking 200 mg daily and bcp's for the past 4 years and my skin has been consistently clear (aside from the occasional small pimple). I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion and asking for a referral to an endocrinologist. Good luck!

As long as they know what they are doing. We had a very bad experience with an endocrinologist. He refused to believe that spiro could help with acne. I sent him a copy of Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book. He made me so angry.