Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest DireStraits

Cold water for red marks

Guest DireStraits

Hey guys, like most of you here whenever i splash cold water on my skin the appearance of red marks diminishes a lot.

I've heard that splashing cold water on your skin is actually kind of a bad thing, i forgot the reason why though.

What i normally do is have a warm shower then end it with just a quick run of cold water on my face for a few seconds and this does the job.

It really lifts my mood as well knowing my skin doesn't have so many visible red spots showing.

So what do you guys reckon, is cold water that bad?

Oh.. and please don't tell me use lukewarm water cause even that shows the redness (lukewarm and above for me is bad for redness), not only that its just a cop out statement

'just use lukewarm water' its so subjective.

thanks

Edited by DireStraits

Hey guys, like most of you here whenever i splash cold water on my skin the appearance of red marks diminishes a lot.

I've heard that splashing cold water on your skin is actually kind of a bad thing, i forgot the reason why though.

What i normally do is have a warm shower then end it with just a quick run of cold water on my face for a few seconds and this does the job.

It really lifts my mood as well knowing my skin doesn't have so many visible red spots showing.

So what do you guys reckon, is cold water that bad?

Oh.. and please don't tell me use lukewarm water cause even that shows the redness (lukewarm and above for me is bad for redness), not only that its just a cop out statement

'just use lukewarm water' its so subjective.

thanks

Cold water is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Yes, it makes your marks look temporary better, but you are actually stripping the natural oils from your skin, which will make the marks look worser in the long run.

Instead (you guessed it), use luke warm water. I know it can make the marks look worse straight away, but it doesn't strip all the natural oils out of your skin.

But if you insist on using cold water, be sure to use a high quality moisturizer after. Otherwise, you are just drying your skin up which will make the marks come back worse later on.

Guest DireStraits

^^Yeah dude i always moisturize afterwards. thx for the tip though.

Last week i went lukewarm for a couple of days and my skin was like blehhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dunno if i can handle the intensity of that bleh again.

Edited by DireStraits

I just shower with cold water only and then moisturize with sunflower oil after a shower.

If I use even lukewarm water my red marks will look really bad for a day or two

Come to think of it, I wouldn't say I wash my face with "luke warm" water. I use a temperature as close to "neutral" as possible. And I find that works best for me. It doesn't make my red marks look better or worse and it isn't stripping the oils from my skin.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't say I wash my face with "luke warm" water. I use a temperature as close to "neutral" as possible. And I find that works best for me. It doesn't make my red marks look better or worse and it isn't stripping the oils from my skin.

hey guys,

i havent read this post in detail but i used to have a good technique for dealing with redness.

if i ever had redness, id wash my face to get off all the oil, then id ice it for around an hour to cool the red areas right down. then id apply really hot water to the areas and let it run until the stinging stopped...it skin will always sting going from cold to hot.

i found if i did this, two or three times in a day, the redness would be greatly reduced by the next day. i guess it shocks the skin.

anyhoo, hope it helps :)

hey guys,

i havent read this post in detail but i used to have a good technique for dealing with redness.

if i ever had redness, id wash my face to get off all the oil, then id ice it for around an hour to cool the red areas right down. then id apply really hot water to the areas and let it run until the stinging stopped...it skin will always sting going from cold to hot.

i found if i did this, two or three times in a day, the redness would be greatly reduced by the next day. i guess it shocks the skin.

Doing so is only temporary and will make the redness come back even worse than before.

Its just like getting a tan. It makes your red marks look virtually gone, but its just masking the problem and making it worse underneith.

There's no quick fix for red marks that wont make them come back worse later on.

hey guys,

Doing so is only temporary and will make the redness come back even worse than before.

Its just like getting a tan. It makes your red marks look virtually gone, but its just masking the problem and making it worse underneith.

There's no quick fix for red marks that wont make them come back worse later on.

sorry to hear that dude. i guess it depends on where the red marks have come from. red marks from pimples i found would go away quickly. red marks from cysts take forever.

hey guys,

sorry to hear that dude. i guess it depends on where the red marks have come from. red marks from pimples i found would go away quickly. red marks from cysts take forever.

Yeah, the red marks left after small pimples isn't actually hyperpigmentation but minor irritation that clears up quickly.

For hyperpigmentation marks however, its important not to strip your oils and to keep your skin moisturized with a water based moisturizer. Especially after exfoliating. Although it makes the marks look worse in the short term, it will benefit in the long term.

Seems like every time the hot or cold question comes up everyone has a different opinion on it.

Yep.

But here's some more stuff to think about:

Cold decreases inflammation, redness, swelling. Cold application does NOT cause a rebound effect of increased redness. Cold does not 'strip' any oils.

I wash with warm water and then have a final cold/cool rinse. Invigorating, particularly in the hot summer months, and beneficial to irritation or redness or dryness. PARTICULARLY when you have to wash your hands multiple times a day with warm, soapy water due to your job.

It seems like its pretty split here. Some people think cold water is horrible for you skin. Others think its fine. Idk what to think but is there any proof that either is actually better or worse for your skin?

Guest DireStraits

Some interesting replies here

Seems like every time the hot or cold question comes up everyone has a different opinion on it.

Yep.

But here's some more stuff to think about:

Cold decreases inflammation, redness, swelling. Cold application does NOT cause a rebound effect of increased redness. Cold does not 'strip' any oils.

I wash with warm water and then have a final cold/cool rinse. Invigorating, particularly in the hot summer months, and beneficial to irritation or redness or dryness. PARTICULARLY when you have to wash your hands multiple times a day with warm, soapy water due to your job.

I can't say which is proven to be better... but my personal experience has shown me that hot water makes my red marks look a lot worse than usual... while cool water makes them appear fainter for a short period of time.

Alright i agree with you. I just don't see how cold water could have a worse effect on your skin in the long run like Fraz_2010 say because he doesn't know that his skin would have been better if he had always used lukewarm water. But hey if he does know for a fact then i'd be happy to listen!

Alright i agree with you. I just don't see how cold water could have a worse effect on your skin in the long run like Fraz_2010 say because he doesn't know that his skin would have been better if he had always used lukewarm water. But hey if he does know for a fact then i'd be happy to listen!

Well yes I do know.

I never always used luke warm water. I used to make the mistake of using cold water thinking the same things you guys do.

But cold water is only a temporary fix and will make the marks stick around longer.

Your skin produces sebum which is a natural moisturizer for the skin. Everytime you splash cold water on your skin, you are stripping off these oils. And by removing your skins natural moisturizer, you are impairing your skins ability to heal itself.

Its true that cold water reduces inflammation, but hyperpigmentation is NOT inflammation. Its caused by your skin producing excess Melanin.

Cold water will do nothing to help your red marks. It will give off an illusion that its helping in the short term, but you are actually just drying your skin out.

How can your skin ever repair itself if you completely dry it out all the time?

yea, but doesn't hot water strip your skin of oil as well? If you're washing your face with a cleanser, gentle or not, than your stripping your skin of these so called "beneficial oils" and by the time you rinse the temp really doesn't make a difference. I've washed/rinsed with both hot and cold, and honestly, other than temporarary results, the two aren't different at all imo.

I like cold tho, I even take cold showers.

Edited by craigeroo

yeah like how does cold water strip oils away more than warm water and like craigeroo said, the cleansers would do that anyways. But i always use moisturizer anyways. and so do you use warm water now and still have red marks? is that why you think cold water makes them last longer? if so, you can't know for a fact that those red marks would be gone now if you had always used lukewarm water. im all about facts. not trying to be rude anything. we are all in the same boat.

When I say "luke warm" water, I don't actually mean water thats warm. I'm talking about water that isn't "cold".

The best temperture of water to use would be the average temperature of your skin.

Using water thats either hotter or colder than your skins temperature will only prolong pigmentation issues.

If you cleans your skin with the right temperature, use a gentle exfoliating cream twice a day & moisturize your skin with something thats rich in aloe vera or vitamin E (better with both) your pigmentation marks will start fading at a far more rapid rate.

You really don't need to put up with these marks for as long as you.

"Using water thats either hotter or colder than your skins temperature will only prolong pigmentation issues." Is there any proof of this or is this just your theory?

"Using water thats either hotter or colder than your skins temperature will only prolong pigmentation issues." Is there any proof of this or is this just your theory?

You're living proof, i'm living proof and so is everybody else on here who is complaining about their marks not fading.

Need I say more?

Anybody looking for a quick fix will get one, but thats all it is, a quick fix which will cause the marks to stay there for far longer than needed.

Well let's be real, cold water makes them look lighter and hot water makes them look redder. Period. Like you said, neutral is probably best. However, I don't think water temperature will hasten or slow their fading process, either way it takes a fuckload of time.

That's not proof. We live completely different lives with hundreds of variables. Personally i'm not convinced that water temperature really has a long term affect on redmarks. Like james said, its gonna take a "fuckload of time" no matter what.

I wish I would have found this topic earlier. I'm not a dermatologist, aesthetician, or whatever else. But I do pride myself in knowing quite a bit about acne, treatments for it, regimens, etc.

That being said, I have never ever seen any recorded evidence that cold water will "prolong red marks". I would very much like to know where you are getting your information from Fraz. It seems that you are just very mislead. In fact, the further and further I got with your posts, the more frustrated I got.

The "natural" oils that we are being "stripped" of is sebum (according to you). "Splashing cold water strips these oils" (according to you).

No way, no how. Sebum plays a significant role in our acne (not helping it, but causing it). According to your own theory, we could just splash our face with cold water and BOOM, all sebum gone, and all future acne prevented (I know that wouldn't be the case for everyone, but a ton of people's acne is caused by excess sebum created by the sebaceous glands).

Oh, and going back to your comment about cold water "stripping the skin of its natural moisturizer": could we not just use a man-made moisturizer designed for keeping our skin healthy, not clogging pores, and healing red marks? Using that, we would be getting the moisturizer our body needs, and getting the benefits of using cold water (temporarily lightening redness, reducing inflammation).

Anyways, I'm amazed at how many holes there are in your theory. If you're going to say something that is that questionable and that will inevitably lead to debate, cite your "facts".

Edited by Cameron Sane

I agree completely. That's what i was trying to get at the whole time.

Edited by ace123