Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sigh. So when I was younger and decided I needed to start shaving my legs, I didn't take proper care of them - at all. When I got mosquito bites in the summer, I'd poke and prod at them until they scarred, etc etc.

So now, I'm 18, and too embarrassed to show my legs because they're covered in scars/ingrown hairs/scars from ingrown hairs.

I stopped shaving, and started waxing - but I don't think I see a difference.

My questions are

1. Is there a hair removal method that doesn't leave behind so many ingrowns?

2. Will tanning my legs help hide these scars? (I already have a brown skin tone...)

3. What can I do to prevent further damage? :redface:

Gahh, anxiously awaiting the summer I can actually wear all those pretty summer dresses I've bought :boohoo:

u could put neosporin or coco butter on the scars to fade them.

u could try nair. that stuff that like burns hair off. ive never used it, but ive heard it stings but its really good at getting everything off

Hehe, I have scars all over my legs from cats and dogs and farm animals and tree climbing and rocks and playing with woodworking tools and dropping stuff on myself and stuff.

It never really occurred to me to be embarrassed about it... haha.

I didn't shave my legs until I was 14-15 though. I still don't do it as often as i probably should... like right now... they're fairly hairy haha. I guess it's one of those things I never really cared about.

I tried nair once, it worked pretty well actually, i didn't get any stinging or allergies or problems with it. Never tried waxing. Tried the Smooth Away, didn't really work all that well, it was more work than shaving haha.

I shave and moisturize with conditioners and not lotions though. It works really well for me. I have this conditioner that has eucalyptus in it too, so that helps keep bugs from biting and smells nice. :)

But take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm paler than a full moon on a starless night, so scars blend right in... haha.

I tried Nair a long time ago, so I only vaguely remember it, but I don't think it worked that amazingly well on me..... Thing is, most responses on these boards, OSO, are going to come from girls of northern and western European descent who have finer hair that is easier to remove. If you're anything like me, and I'm willing to bet you are!, then your hair is probably dark and slightly thicker.... Hence some of the issues you've listed and if your skin on your legs tends to be dry, that also might be a contributor.

First, I think you should start exfoliating mechanically (with a loufa) and/or chemically by using a product with AHA to help remove dead skin. I think this will help to remove anything that is trapping your hair inside and if you use a lotion with AHA, even better! Keeping the skin moisturized will help, imo!

I'm not sure if complete removal, like waxing, is better or if shaving is in this case. I feel like if you shave, the hair will have an easier time to grow through....but if you wax, it gives you at least 4-6 weeks where you can try and improve your skin before the hair comes back? If you decide to shave, (from what I've read), going in the direction of hair growth is best and causes the least amount of irritation. From personal experience, this doesn't give a close shave though...but maybe it would be best to do this til your skin improves. Also, what do you use when you shave? I use a thick bodywash made for sensitive skin by Dove and it causes less irritation and redness for me than shaving creams do.

Basically, just do w/e is the least irritating and try to improve the skin on your legs so that hair can push through. I definitely recommend a lotion that will exfoliate!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I tried Nair a long time ago, so I only vaguely remember it, but I don't think it worked that amazingly well on me..... Thing is, most responses on these boards, OSO, are going to come from girls of northern and western European descent who have finer hair that is easier to remove. If you're anything like me, and I'm willing to bet you are!, then your hair is probably dark and slightly thicker.... Hence some of the issues you've listed and if your skin on your legs tends to be dry, that also might be a contributor.

First, I think you should start exfoliating mechanically (with a loufa) and/or chemically by using a product with AHA to help remove dead skin. I think this will help to remove anything that is trapping your hair inside and if you use a lotion with AHA, even better! Keeping the skin moisturized will help, imo!

I'm not sure if complete removal, like waxing, is better or if shaving is in this case. I feel like if you shave, the hair will have an easier time to grow through....but if you wax, it gives you at least 4-6 weeks where you can try and improve your skin before the hair comes back? If you decide to shave, (from what I've read), going in the direction of hair growth is best and causes the least amount of irritation. From personal experience, this doesn't give a close shave though...but maybe it would be best to do this til your skin improves. Also, what do you use when you shave? I use a thick bodywash made for sensitive skin by Dove and it causes less irritation and redness for me than shaving creams do.

Basically, just do w/e is the least irritating and try to improve the skin on your legs so that hair can push through. I definitely recommend a lotion that will exfoliate!

Hehe, I have scars all over my legs from cats and dogs and farm animals and tree climbing and rocks and playing with woodworking tools and dropping stuff on myself and stuff.

It never really occurred to me to be embarrassed about it... haha.

I didn't shave my legs until I was 14-15 though. I still don't do it as often as i probably should... like right now... they're fairly hairy haha. I guess it's one of those things I never really cared about.

Thank you!!!

I forgot to reply lol

Yeah dry skin can cause problems, I notice that it does for me. Definitely try using lotion each day, something that will be well absorbed by the skin and possibly something with AHA if you can find it. If you use AHA, however, it makes skin sensitive to sunlight.

I think I used to have a recipe for a homemade solution to help with ingrowns, I'll see if I can find it...

Here it is: http://makeupforlife.net/2006/02/say-buh-b...o-ingrowns.html Really easy to make and easy ingredients to get a hold of!

Edited by NessaVéneanár

Have you tried sugaring? It's like waxing but a more natural alternative. It's not going to completely remove all the hair so you might have to shave as well. You can make it at home or you can buy it in stores, its a lot cheaper when you make your own but you may have to make numerous batches before you get one at the right consistency.

I also second AHA, you can use vitamin e oil as well.