Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
recoverme

Yes or No to QUINOA as Carb Replacer?

I have been dieting for about a week now, and I couldn't handle the carb cravings..

My quetion is quinoa okay to eat? It doesn't seem to be as inflammatory as if I eat bad carbs..

Some places say it's okay to eat, some places say just stay away from all grains...

I already eat tons of veggies and fruit a day..

what should I do??

Edited by recoverme

Thats a big respunding yes!

Quinoa is the ancient Inca word for "mother grain". This grain has been eaten for over a thousand years by the ancient Incans if it is good enough for them its good enough for me :)

It is high in very high quality protein and has a good amount of carbs.

It is Low GI.

Easier didested than most grains.

Very high in Calcium.

I would definitely add this to your diet.

Btw why have you cut out ALL carbs, you know protein that you should at least get a medium amount for the day to keep you going just make sure all your carb sources are all natural, low gi and prefeerably organic :)

Edited by AdamDolce10

I find quinoa undigested in my stools. I eat it all the time but I would like to know if maybe i have trouble digesting it. It comes out just as it comes in. Is this a negative thing?

For the past week or two Ive replaced my usual carb staple (brown rice) with quinoa and so far so good, I do a lot of physical training and so far quinoa hasnt made me feel weaker or given me less energy.

Wash it very well and cook it properly. The saponins naturally found in quinoa both taste nasty, and are mildly toxic.

I find quinoa undigested in my stools. I eat it all the time but I would like to know if maybe i have trouble digesting it. It comes out just as it comes in. Is this a negative thing?

I think quinoa is technically a seed, and the body doesn't really digest seeds. The same thing happens to me, and also happens with buckwheat.

Well first of all, it's not a grain, but a seed closely related to leafy green vegetables like spinach, so don't be afraid to eat it because you might think it's a grain. I pretty much have quinoa every day, and i don't really seem to have a problem digesting it, but then again everyone's different, so you should just try it out and see what happens. Don't completely avoid other carbs either though. Good grains like brown rice and some legumes like lentils are very beneficial to your health, so don't completely avoid them unless you're sensitive to them. Overall though, I feel that quinoa is the best carb replacement, and it's better to have some of it everyday than other sources of carbs (like rice, etc.).