Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xflashjr

Dermabrasion, Dr Y, price, ETC

Hey everyone,

I am lucky enough to live in New Orleans and therefore I would not have to travel to go see Dr Y. I was at a day spa yesterday and while I was getting a facial I was talking to the woman doiing it. She was very impressed with how much I knew about skin care and the like. We started talking and Dr. Y came up in the conversation. She knew of him and I said I was thinking of having derma done in the next few months or so. She said that one of her patients used to work for him and it seems as he might be going in retirement soon! No one freak out cause this is just a second hand rumor and it sounds as if his assitant might be taking over full time and Dr Y. working part time. I do not know the truth in this but this was enough motivation for me to start looking into the procedure much sonner then I was planning.

I have not seen Dr. Y yet as I heard the consoltation is 125 dollars by itself and I would like to save as much as I can for the procedure.

For anyone who has seen him or talked to him my biggest concern is price and then followed by results. I know it should be the other way around but being a college student money is not the most abundace right now.

I will have around 2000 saved for this operation and it sounds like that won't be enough. I really do not need a full face dermabrasion as I do not have any scars on my forehead, nose, chin, or upper cheaks. I have scaring on both of my lower cheaks and I was wondering if he could just do it there? I know that could be problems with just doing a partial face derma, but I wanted to see if anyone has talked to him about this and what his thoughts on it was. I am going to send him a letter after I get back from My vaction in two weeks.

Does anyone have his mailing address or email address?

Hopefuly I can find out some info

Thanks

Stephen

Ugh. This is precisely what I was worried about. Hope he remains operative til the beginning of next summer.

Ann Marie, Is there truth in Dr. Yarborough's retiring? Have you checked with him or his asst., Cassandra, whether it's in the near future? Hopefully he'll be around for at least another 2 years.

I didn't actually hear it out of his or Cassandra's mouth, but one of the days I was there another nurse had to change my bandages because Cassandra wasn't there. I told her she had beautiful skin, and she said, "Awww, thanks. By the time I need this done he will have retired." That's the only thing that I heard. I just hope it's not anytime soon. I really, really, really want one more done in June. I think I may call him in a few months to tell him of my plans so he doesn't go running off the beach just yet. :hand:

Was that nurse young? She probably meant by the time she's like 50 or 60 with wrinkles (15-20 yrs?) Dr. Y. would have already retired, which makes sense. That's the only thing I could think of regarding her comment, if she had beautiful skin and did not have acne or acne scarring. Also, Leopolda said she talked to one of his nurses, not sure if it was Cassandra, and said that the nurse laughed, and said it wasn't true that he was retiring any time soon.

Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and yes she was young. But man, I'm telling ya, he is old (shhhhhh) over 70, none of you heard that from me though.

Actually, according to to his date of birth, he's 69 I think. I hope I'm right and your wrong, for everyone's sake. Although his skin was amazing for his age, looked much younger.

Yeah, I asked Dr. Y when he first called me about him retiring soon and he laughed and said no.. he's working less hours but said has no plans for retirement yet. He also said he was 69..

I know, it would be a super tremendous loss to many people if he retired soon.. He's such a very sweet man too smile.gif hehe

Hey Poe, wishing you safe travels and an excellent procedure! Good luck wink.gif

Have you been down there for a consult already, or will this be your 1st trip?

Gracias Craig! This will be my first time there.. Having the consultation Tuesday morning and then the full-face procedure right after. Leopoldas, Ann_a_bells' and MoonSoons' posts were all really very helpful. I'm still nervous but I'm more at ease now than I would be if not for their posts.. If you guys/gals are reading this, THANKSABUNCHA!!!!

Poe

Keep me up to date please, if you could cuz I'm thinking of getting this done too.

I will be doing that Tin and I also will be taking progress pictures so you can see how I'm healing to give you an idea of how you will heal.. Best of luck to you and keep your head up.. There's hope out there for us.. smile.gif

Hi, all. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. While I didn't ask either Cassandra or Dr. Y about retirement, I did hear that he is not planning on retiring anytime soon. I think the poster Love asked the receptionist about this and she confirmed that it was just a nasty rumor. I think about a year ago he did cut considerably back on his hours. I think he's 69. BUT, he's a very young-looking and vivacious 69. Also, as humble as he is, I do think he understands that he provides something that not just anyone else could and so I think he gets how much people are depending on him out there. He almost chose to become a professional pianist instead of a Dr., (both fields that serve humanity in different ways) but he said he thought he could do more good as a physician, and so he has kept up his music as an avocation. In short, I think he loves what he does and he knows what a loss his retirement would be so I bet he practices until he simply can't anymore. Just my impression.

I bet you could talk him into omitting your forehead, which I think would bring it down to $3000. It's worth it, and good luck to you.

Poe, good luck in your trip and procedure--you are in the best hands out there!

Ann-a-bell, how are you doing? I hope you continue to heal well and look better and better!

cheers,

--leo

Does Dr. Y perform other procedure to reduce scarring besides dermabrasion??? I want that for my face but I also have scarring on my back (small raised white circular scars). I don't think dermabrasion is good around the shoulder area. I do not trust lasers because I had it done once without any improvement :sad: . I might be able to tolerate a Chemical peel. I had it done once and it hurts :angry: . If i could get my school schedule down i would make an appointment. Consultation in November (Thnx giving Break) then have the procedure done December (Christmas break). I am starting nursing school (Spring 2005) and I just want to look my best biggrin.gif . My dad and bro will be driving me to New Orleans from Houston. By the way I am asian.