Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, it's been 13 years and countless treatments and my scars look worse each year.

I have spent about $10,000 on my scars and they are worse than they were when I first started treating them.

I have used every topical, I have had laser treatments, subscision treatments, I had my skin professionally needled by a tattoo artist...

I used skin biology's copper AHA/copper peptide regimen for years...

This just scratches the surface...

I know everyone loves the "c'mon you can do it" type of posts around here, but as my case goes, that is not realistic.

Speaking for myself, trying to greatly improve acne scarring is the single hardest thing you can ever attempt to do.

13 years later and I have gotten NOWHERE. And I was full of hope in the beginning and throughout many of the years. I thought for sure that I would be able to reduce these scars.

Nope, haven't even been able to reduce them at all. In fact, they've only gotten worse with time. I expect that my scars will get deeper each year and eventually form huge deep wrinkles. So many of my scars have actually joined together to form deep troughs in the skin. If I have two pock marks about an inch away, I know that eventually I will have a one inch long sunken scar connecting them. All of my scars are becoming deeper and connecting up with one another.

I truly feel like giving up the fight. It's not worth it. It is a total waste of time, energy, money, emotions, and life.

At some point, you just have to concede that you can't change them.

I am really sorry that you didnt get improvement in your scars. I know thats got to be hard to deal with. What type of scarring do you have? Is it mild-severe?

I am planning on tca cross treatment but I often wonder if we are fooling ourselves. I hope to see improvement but Im not sure. It does seem that some get improvements and others do not. I hope that you find peace with yourself and enjoy your life. You gave it your best and thats all we can do. I would recommend trying not to focus on your skin and getting on with your life I know easier said then done but everything in life is.

Have you ever tried fillers? Temporary ones or silicone droplets?

I dont think the current treatments (lasers, peels etc) do anything for severe scarring.

I dont think the current treatments (lasers, peels etc) do anything for severe scarring.

yes, what about fillers? They seem to be the final, or last thing that can actually lift deep scars.

yes, what about fillers? They seem to be the final, or last thing that can actually lift deep scars.

Fillers and subcision should be the first things tried. They are inexpensive, work (generally) and are cheaper and safer than lasers, IMO.

To the OP:

I'm sorry nothing has worked for you....I don't really know what to say. I haven't yet tried anything because I was researching and had to get rid of my acne, save money. I am getting subcision and fillers. If they don't work, I will be in your boat. I may have to get old fashioned CO2 to remove some benign growths on one part of my face, but that's it for me. I would possibly try TCA cross and dermarolling, but won't do non-ablative lasers, since no one seems to get any real results. I refuse to spend 1000's upon 1000's of dollars, but that's probably because Ive seen people here do just that and not get any real results. When I first came here, 7 years ago, I thought dermabrasion would be the answer to my prayers. Thank God I waited and saw it wasn't as good as it seemed. Anyway, sometimes I feel like you and think, what's the point?? That's another reason I've never done anything yet.

What type of scars do you have, mostly?

Edited by Anti - Em

Fillers and subcision should be the first things tried. They are inexpensive, work (generally) and are cheaper and safer than lasers, IMO.

Exactly, I agree. Yet many seem to go for lasers first, esp. those without much experience on these boards.

Well, it's been 13 years and countless treatments and my scars look worse each year.

I have spent about $10,000 on my scars and they are worse than they were when I first started treating them.

I have used every topical, I have had laser treatments, subscision treatments, I had my skin professionally needled by a tattoo artist...

I know everyone loves the "c'mon you can do it" type of posts around here, but as my case goes, that is not realistic.

Speaking for myself, trying to greatly improve acne scarring is the single hardest thing you can ever attempt to do.

13 years later and I have gotten NOWHERE. And I was full of hope in the beginning and throughout many of the years. I thought for sure that I would be able to reduce these scars.

Nope, haven't even been able to reduce them at all. In fact, they've only gotten worse with time. I expect that my scars will get deeper each year and eventually form huge deep wrinkles. So many of my scars have actually joined together to form deep troughs in the skin. If I have two pock marks about an inch away, I know that eventually I will have a one inch long sunken scar connecting them. All of my scars are becoming deeper and connecting up with one another.

I truly feel like giving up the fight. It's not worth it. It is a total waste of time, energy, money, emotions, and life.

Like you, I have found that a lot of treatments that were supposed to work did not. To be honest I just think you get to the stage where you think 'to hell with it'.

I have had TCA peels, microdermabrasion, punch excision, fraxel laser, Dermaroller, subcision, TCA CROSS you name it....in my opinion none of these have worked.

I think its a combination of your skin being unresponsive and surgeons offering treatments which are in their interests (i.e. financial gain) rather than yours. This is why in the end I resorted to trying to get help on the public health service rather than privately, as I knew they wouldn't be after my money and would genuinely try to help me.

I agree regarding fillers, ok they may not be a long term solution, but at least they work in the short term. I'm sure you can get permanent fillers too. I used to be squeamish about fillers, but now I just compare them to having a dental filling or something, and they don't seem so bad.

Another thing I have realised is that sometimes its the colour of the scar that makes it stand out, as opposed to it being deep or a different texture. What I do now is I use a very very fine paint brush, and 'fill in' the icepick scars with concealer. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes, especially when done with a combination of other products such as powder foundation and pore minimising lotion.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be an effective treatment for acne scars. I don't have money to spend on different treatments so I'll just "patiently" wait for a proven effective treatment to come along. I do get hopeful when I see threads from people claiming they've had successful with a certain treatment but then they don't show pictures. Or, they do show pictures but the pictures aren't clear or they seem altered which makes my hopes diminish. I think fillers would be helpful in the meantime.

Edited by ItHurtsToLook

Try black soap and shea butter. I don't know if it works as well with white skin as it does with black skin(because white soap doesn't work for me, but it works for my white friends, and a lot of times I hear whites say it doesn't go to well for them... as racist as that sounds, it could very well be true). They're a natural soap and moisturizer that should NOT clog your pores. If you see or feel your pores being clogged, then put the shea butter on, THEN put the soap on, then pat it dry leaving a little moisture.

I've been using it for 4 days and I'm almost spot free in areas that were densely clustered, my sister has been using it too, her acne was much more inflamed on her cheeks than mine, after day one, there was a big square-shaped patch on her cheek that was clear, then it got bigger everyday, until now it's almost gone.

Black soap is a soap that originated in Ghana(other Africans tried to copy them and failed). No black soap looks COMPLETELY BLACK. If the soap is completely black, it is fake, it should look brownish to dark brownish, because it's made from burnt fruits, plants, and herbs.

Also, it is mildly exfoliative, and if you apply it too much, you could get scabs, which will produce more scars(unless you apply it right after the scab falls off or you pick it).

No gimmick, nothing, it's not illegal, it's not an over-the-counter medication, it's something you should get at an African Organic Store, or a Hebrew Israelite Organic Store(not a lot of those around)

Try black soap and shea butter. I don't know if it works as well with white skin as it does with black skin(because white soap doesn't work for me, but it works for my white friends, and a lot of times I hear whites say it doesn't go to well for them... as racist as that sounds, it could very well be true). They're a natural soap and moisturizer that should NOT clog your pores. If you see or feel your pores being clogged, then put the shea butter on, THEN put the soap on, then pat it dry leaving a little moisture.

I've been using it for 4 days and I'm almost spot free in areas that were densely clustered, my sister has been using it too, her acne was much more inflamed on her cheeks than mine, after day one, there was a big square-shaped patch on her cheek that was clear, then it got bigger everyday, until now it's almost gone.

Black soap is a soap that originated in Ghana(other Africans tried to copy them and failed). No black soap looks COMPLETELY BLACK. If the soap is completely black, it is fake, it should look brownish to dark brownish, because it's made from burnt fruits, plants, and herbs.

Also, it is mildly exfoliative, and if you apply it too much, you could get scabs, which will produce more scars(unless you apply it right after the scab falls off or you pick it).

No gimmick, nothing, it's not illegal, it's not an over-the-counter medication, it's something you should get at an African Organic Store, or a Hebrew Israelite Organic Store(not a lot of those around)

you've hit my love for internet shopping. so i have purchased some. ill let you know if i see any results.

I was wondering if you can elaborate more on the individual treatments you have had and your experience from each. People here could probably learn a lot from you.

Subcision didn't help at all?

Did the treatments create further scarring each time?

subcision gave mea line-like scar....and I had a dermarbasion on right cheek and it widened m scarring IMO making it more apparent and it also has given me this area that is slgihtly pink and different color than rest of skin. STill been only 8 months so I need to give it more time but this surely does suck.

Tell us more about the lasers and your subcision that you had.

Also I'd like to add that I am sorry. Have you ever asked for your money back from any of the doctors?

If a doctor thinks you have potential to sue them for damages they may refund your money if you are persistent with it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, thanks for your honesty on this issue. I genuinely believe people are attracted to the spirit in a person, the way they talk and move, rather than their appearance (regardless of what adverts try to persuade us to believe, in order to get us to buy products). I hope you are able to get on without your life and put the scars issue to one side.

ScarCrash, you didn't specify which laser you have done. Have you tried fractionalized ablative Co2 at high intensity. I tried Dermabrasion and regular Co2 with no results. Fraxel Re:pair is the only treatment that helped me, but most everyone will need 2-4 treatments, and the doctor must crank up the power to the max you can tolerate.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html

Some interesting pictures.

http://www.ljcsc.com/fraxel_re_pair_before...pictures_1.html

ScarCrash, you didn't specify which laser you have done. Have you tried fractionalized ablative Co2 at high intensity. I tried Dermabrasion and regular Co2 with no results. Fraxel Re:pair is the only treatment that helped me, but most everyone will need 2-4 treatments, and the doctor must crank up the power to the max you can tolerate.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html

Some interesting pictures.

http://www.ljcsc.com/fraxel_re_pair_before...pictures_1.html

I agree that setting the power to max on the fraxel restore helped me but the redness took about 2 years to subside in the area. My doc refuses to do it again. What should I do? I would rather deal with the redness for two years than have depressed scars that are deep.

Hi Dudley,

I actually saw Dr. Fitzpatric in la jolla about 1 1/2 ago. I must say the photos are very impressive and the the ones I saw in their portfolio at the office were great. The young guy with the rolling scars had great results. Unfortunatley for me the Dr. could not see the scars I was talking about and said he only saw white spots left over from acne and recommened I do the Plasma laser for my hyperpigmentation. I really wasnt sold on the plasma laser so I ended up not going there for any treatments. But maybe after my cross i should have another consult and push for the repair.

I agree that setting the power to max on the fraxel restore helped me but the redness took about 2 years to subside in the area. My doc refuses to do it again. What should I do? I would rather deal with the redness for two years than have depressed scars that are deep.

2 YEARS? holy shit..

What skintype are you?

ylem, if it took that long to recover from Re:store then you can forget about Re:pair. They are two different kinds of lasers and cannot be compared. It is like apples and oranges. Re:store is non-ablative and Re:pair is ablative and much more intense. I don't talk about Re:store because I was advised it would not work for me, and that was before Re:pair came out in 2008.

Hi scarcrash,

totally emphatizing with you. Not going to give the fake "you can do it, just be happy" post. As seriously I can't get out of this rabbit hole myself..

But just remember, what has happened has happened. Mentally be strong, focus on things that are going well in your life, no matter how insignificant it may be. For example, you are living with a roof on your head, while there are jobless and homeless people around. That's one good point.

Yes, what had happened to us is totally traumatic. Usually only scar sufferers themselves would understand the agony, it makes us the "whiners", when our true character aren't whiners. Things may not go our way, people may criticize us. Just remember, life is one illusion, conquer this illusion and you have mastered yourself.

Well, if you've really tried everything and you're still at square one...then yes it's better to stop getting treatments. There is still hope, though, as new treatments will keep coming out... But it's important that you "learn to live" with your scars the way they are now.

Which is possible.

I've said this a few times before but I used to be bothered by my scars so much that I almost became a recluse. Now, I do pretty much everything I want to do not thinking about my scarring about 95% of the time. This took me a long time to achieve but I did it. It was hard but I did it.

I made things worse than they actually were, in my head. So I changed the way I thought which helped a lot. Also, it was just so that less people were bothered by my scarring than I thought. It's not something that has to stand between you and the life you want, so to speak. So many people have scarring... It's very common. Especially acne scarring.

Stay positive, ok?

Edited by Lapis lazuli

I am so sorry to hear about what you're going through and what you have been through. Acne scarring is so traumatizing.

I just had subcision with another doctor, Dr. Rober Freund in NYC. He was so great, I would definitely recommend him. I hope to go back in for another round. It's only been a couple of days, but I'm optimistic this time. It really does depend on the doctor, I think, because one doctor made one scar worse for me.

I wish you all the best, especially in finding a kind, skilled doctor.