Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dx4567

No regulatory body for cosmetic surgeons/dermatologists in the UK

Does anyone else find it slightly unnerving that there is no regulatory body for dermatologists or cosmetic surgeons in the UK?

All we have is the Healthcare Commission. I had a horrendous experience a couple of years back and when I wrote to them (twice), both times they just wrote back stating that I would have to bring up the matter with the cosmetic surgeon in question.

Is it just me, or is that rather stupid? Writing to the cosmetic surgeon directly or the hospital where they work - any investigation will just come to a conclusion in their favour. I did in fact write to the hospital, and I felt as if they were 'protecting' the cosmetic surgeon, and it became very much a me vs the hospital situation. Unsurprisingly, nothing ever came of my complaint.

It makes me angry that to this day the cosmetic surgeon in question is still practising at the same hospital. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who suffered at his hands.

A regulatory body is long overdue.