Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arch

Just had Cysts removed from back

Hey Guys Im new and I just wanted to tell my little story and get some good advice and tips from people.

So Today I Got some Cystic Acne Removed 3 that were connected and one just below them just under my shoulder/back . At First the Student Doctor at the Doctors office didnt really give me much hope of removal as she just said It might be worth it to Leave them alone and then gave me a Minocycline RX. I asked her if maybe she could send me to a Derm to take a look at it and she was quite honest in saying that The Derms we have in our town are very few and the waiting lists is bad. So I asked her if they did removal in the office and she said They could do it but she Cautioned that Maybe it could lead to a "keloid" scar. But after taking a look at it again she said its only a 10% chance or so that it might Keloid after Removal. So I just said "Well Lets go for it" and she said Okay she has time to do it Rightnow which would save me another visit to get it done. So I was Very happy and told her Thanks.

So She Froze the area and started to Make the Cut and dug all the gunk from all the cysts of it until it was just blood, it took maybe 10-15 min give or take. And She commented that IT actually looks better then she previously thought it might look like before when she was worried about the scar not healing,She said it looks like the healing should heal up just fine. She put five stiches into me and I was Done. She put some Dressing on it and Said dont Get it wet and leave it on for a day. I then asked if it would be better to leave it on for 2 days and she said "yes that would be even better" So I said No prob.

Now is where I need Advice.I still have the Minocycline RX to deal with but after reading some reviews here and other sites I have come to the conclusion that It might not be so good to take. She did say though it was only to take for the rest of the summer and didnt say to take it again after I finish the bottle of 100mg,She said its mainly just to help me prevent and treat "summer Acne" as she said they put many people on the medication for the Spring and just to last the summer and then stop taking it. This is what she said is the case for me.

I have no bad medical conditions other then an allergy to Fish and Peanuts and I get Asthma sometimes when playing sports or when the Air is bad. So Im just trying to get a second opinion on this.

There is no way I would want to be on these Minocyline stuff alot but Im thinking Maybe if its just for the rest of the summer and until I finish the 100mgs It might be worth the shot.

What do you guys think? And should I buy anything at the Pharmacy to help the healing process out from the cysts that were removed? I go back in a week for the follow up and to get my stitches removed.

Thanks in Advance guys And I hope Everyone has had some great summer days so far.

Edited by Arch

Well its day 2 and even though I was warned yesterday that later in the might I might "feel" some pain a bit I didnt feel NOTHING!!! I ended up getting a second opinion from a Doctor about the Minocyline and told him my worries and he was very Helpful in letting me know I shouldn't worry about all the "bad side effects" that I have read because its a very Rare thing especially since my prescription for the mino is only for 2 months and then thats it. He said if Im really worried just take it for atleast a month and see how it goes. So I took the first pill last night on an empty stomach and waited about almost 2 hours before eating some Fruits before going to bed and felt fine. In the Morning My stomach didnt feel so great and I was worried that the pills had caused this bad side effect. But once I eat some Toast and had my coffee I was feeling Much Better.

All In all everything looks to be going good I noticed a small amount of blood on my Dressing when I woke up but after talking to the doctors office they told me not to worry and not to take of the dressing and that some bleeding is going to happen and is normal in the healing process.

I take of the Dressing in less then 16 hours and will let you guys know how its looking.

PS-I think its wonderful that everyone on here is sharing there insight about things such as Minocycline and the pros and cons. But I would suggest though to people that they shouldnt be so "quick" to judge the Pills side effects without using proper logic ,because As I said earlier I was very skeptical about taking these pills and In the Morning my Stomach felt like crap but that was not because of the side effect of the Pills it was because my Stomach was Pissed off that I hadnt gave it anything to eat LOL!!!! So For people who are told to just try out a month or 2 of Minocycline pills give it a chance and dont be so quick to think all the bad side effects will happen to you because Logically those bad side effects of Mino usually happen to people who have been told to take the pills for long periods of time, and its very Rare to have those "bad side effects" If you are only on the MINO for 2 months at the most unless of course you are Allergic to the medication like some folks on here were and then you would know that right away after the first day or days of using it because Allergic reactions happen Right away most of the time.

Anyway BOL to All of you and Please feel free to give me any insights that you think I could use for taking care of the healing process.

Hey guys it day 3 and I took of the dressing off and had a shower and it looked like the stitches were holding pretty nice and there was no signs of yellow pus or anything other then it bleeding a tiny bit every now and then. There is two tiny little bumps on my skin at both ends where the stitches come to an end and Im wondering if maybe that is just because of the stitches since its at both ends of where the stitches end and maybe thats just from the pull of the stitches and so forth and will go away when the stitches come out. Again Its only at the ends and not in the middle of the wound at all. I think it should be okay with a little time.

Anyway thats all for now folks!!!

Edited by Arch

The 'puckering' of the skin is pretty common with sutures, particularly on the back. You move around a lot without even knowing it, causing tension on those sutures. It's not harmful, so don't worry about it. :)

Good for you for getting a second opinion and asking your doctors questions! That's so important. And it sounds like you're taking good care of the wounds as well. Continue to follow the instructions and monitor for increased redness, pain, swelling or discharge as those are cardinal signs of an infection. As you're taking such good care of the sites, I think you'll be just fine though.

The 'puckering' of the skin is pretty common with sutures, particularly on the back. You move around a lot without even knowing it, causing tension on those sutures. It's not harmful, so don't worry about it. :)

Good for you for getting a second opinion and asking your doctors questions! That's so important. And it sounds like you're taking good care of the wounds as well. Continue to follow the instructions and monitor for increased redness, pain, swelling or discharge as those are cardinal signs of an infection. As you're taking such good care of the sites, I think you'll be just fine though.

Aww Thanks so much for giving me some insight I was thinking I might be all on my own with these questions and thoughts I had LOL!!!

So Far i have not had any Pain at all and I dont think There is been anything discharged out of the wound besides some blood. I was told I could let it "air out" after the second day with the dressing on but after I took my shower with the dressing off, the bottom part of the wound was giving out a tiny bit of blood but nothing bad at all. So I decided to let it "Air out" for a little bit and then put a "new dressing" that I got at the store and will have it on for my sleep. Then I will Check out the wound tomorrow let it "air out" and see if any the wound still bleeds a little. IF it does bleed still a tiny bit every 5 mins or so I will again sleep with it covered.

I cant wait for the Satures to be out on Tuesday,Seems a week is a little long to me to leave satures in but heck Im not the Doctor and ITs way better to have stitches taken out a little late then "to fast" LOL!!! So I dont think a week with stitches is a big problem at all.

Anway Thanks again for the kind words and the insight you gave me on not to worry about the 2 little bumps on my skin at each end of the satures. ;) Even though I didnt think it was anything "big" It really helps to have someone else tell you "not to worry" about it

Cheers!!!

Edited by Arch

A week is pretty normal for suture removal; it gives the underlying tissues enough time to heal so that the wound won't open up again when the sutures are removed. When I had a benign mole removed from my back, the sutures stayed in about a week; it may have been longer. The wound also puckered at the ends. But there's no lump or anything now; it's just a fine white line. Moles require a larger excision pattern than most cysts, so don't worry!

Honestly, that scar has never really bothered me. I still wear a bikini. No big deal!

Thanks Wynne its been quite a while since I got Stitches and I couldnt remember exactly how long they took to come out.

Pleased to hear your recovery's went very well and that the scar left behind wasnt bad at all.

I Just gave the wound one more look before going to bed and it looks clean with a small bit of blood in the same area as last time but its not bleeding bad or nothing at all, It just leaks a little blood onto the bottom satures but not leaking bad or anything just sorta drips a tiny bit of blood but not enough to fill the wound or make the dressing weak. I gave it a swipe with a cotton ball soaked in some boiled water with a tiny bit of baking soda in there and patted the wound dry when the cotton ball cooled down. It should heal good over night if I avoid moving around to much in bed at night LOL!!!

Edited by Arch

Baking soda isn't necessarily a good thing due to its alkalinity. If you want to put something on the wound, just use an antibiotic ointment like Polysporin, bacitracin or neosporin. I chose polysporin. Then plop a bandaid on and you're good to go.

Did the doctor give you any other aftercare instructions?

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Heal...ocs/Sutures.pdf That's a pretty helpful bit of information for suture care.

Hey Wynn They told me leave on a dressing for atleast 2 days and the lady said if it has a little bit of blood not to worry about it and just boil water and swipe a cotton ball when the water cools on the wound to clean the blood and the area out and then if I want put a fresh dressing/bandaid over it. since I still notice a tiny bit of blood I made up a new dressing to have for when I go to bed instead of just leaving the wound open and lying down on it since dirt could get into it if I move around to much at night. Plus by having a new dressing It makes sure the area stays clean but I did Air out the wound alot today in the open air and will do it again tomorrow.

As for the baking soda I maybe use not even a Spoons worth of it when its mixed with the boiled water. So Im not just putting Baking soda in its "pure form" on my wound at all. I have some Polysporin that I had years ago and such but Its not so great in cleaning the blood out of the wound as a cotton ball wet with distilled water does, But Maybe I Will use the POLY a little later on. Im pretty much cleaning my wound with Water on a cotton ball and the baking soda is just used to kill any bacteria that the kettle didn't get in case. Again Im not putting Baking Soda directly on the cotton ball Only a spoons worth of it at most in the boiling water.

Thanks for the advice and the links, I will check it out.

Well just read the link and found another good page for anyone who may need it

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-...clean-stitches/

I didnt get my Satures wet at all for the first 2 days Monday-Tuesday I was told it was okay to shower on WED and leave the wound open to air out.

Im going to get ready for bed soon and I hope I wont move around to much because Im pretty sure moving around is what is making a tiny bit of blood come out on my dressing LOL!!! But heck its on my back so Its pretty tough to try and stay still and not turn to much in bed.

Gnight and thanks for all the help

Edited by Arch

Any puckering of the skin will likely smooth out in time. It may not be immediate after the sutures are removed. It's been my experience it can take several weeks to months for post-op scars to smooth out. Granted, my experience is as a veterinary surgical nurse, and I don't work on primates. :razz: But, the theory is the same, regardless of species. :)

I really wouln't use the baking soda on the incision, though. Generally, incisions heal best when you just leave them the heck alone and don't mess with them. Once your sutures are out, you can use some mederma on the scar and massage it, and that can help lessen the appearance of the scar. But until the sutures are out, just keep it clean and dry, and no more baking soda! The chance of developing an infection at the incision is really small.

Any puckering of the skin will likely smooth out in time. It may not be immediate after the sutures are removed. It's been my experience it can take several weeks to months for post-op scars to smooth out. Granted, my experience is as a veterinary surgical nurse, and I don't work on primates. :razz: But, the theory is the same, regardless of species. :)

I really wouln't use the baking soda on the incision, though. Generally, incisions heal best when you just leave them the heck alone and don't mess with them. Once your sutures are out, you can use some mederma on the scar and massage it, and that can help lessen the appearance of the scar. But until the sutures are out, just keep it clean and dry, and no more baking soda! The chance of developing an infection at the incision is really small.

Thanks for the Advice arizabif!!!

I Just checked the wound one last time before going to bed and noticed there was no more blood. And the Satures were clean and the wound looked nice and dry and clean. I will not use anymore Baking Soda LOL!!! Even though it was just a spoons worth mixed in with Boiling Water. I think from what I gather being the best advice is just make sure the sature is dry and clean is the best advice and not try to treat it with anything more then just some warm water and then making sure to keep it dry after.

Well its day 4 now and I Was so worried last night that I had popped a stich while turning in my sleep last night but to my luck It was just a little bit of blood and nothing more.

So I let the wound dry out a little and took all the advice about not using baking soda and All I put on the wound to clean it today was a damp cotton ball and made sure to dry of the wound everytime after I used it. There is still that tiny bit of blood from the one sature but again nothing major and I feel no pain and there has been no sign of pus or any other stuff so far. I put a Fresh Dressing on and Will leave it on again tonight. I have read on a few sites that its way better to let a wound heal covered then to just "air it out" so I will keep it covered until I go to get the Stitches out and will only "air it out" for a little bit everyday.

Well Thanks again for the insight You guys have giving me Im not using anymore Baking soda in the boiling water and Im just using Clean Water on a cotton Ball and Keeping the wound Dry is my Daily routine now without the baking soda. I just thought the baking soda had good healing qualities but I guess it doesnt really do anything better for the healing.