Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHAT?! Cold water doesn't make my hair SHINY? Yay... Now I can stop freezing at the end of my shower :)

Anyway hahaha. I have a question for ladies! Or guys, if you have tried hot rollers too ;)

I have fine and thin colored hair that is a few inches past my shoulders. I want those big curls/waves. I Have heard hot rollers can give a lot of volume and bounce which is what I am looking for. There are so many options though. What have you used? Do the cheap sets work as well as the more expensive ones? Which kind have you used? It seems like a good/easy option... Please let me know what you have had the most success with :)

Thank YOU !

Yeah, hot rollers are awesome, they really work, like literally any kind in my experience. My hair's really thick and heavy though so they don't hold for long lol But I could never get volume like on top. It was always flat and then curls started farther down. I just leave my hair alone now lol

My hair is naturally thick and wavy (not as awesome as it sounds, trust me) BUT I find that blow drying my hair upside down gives me lots of volume, even when I straighten it after. I've used hot rollers before, just some that I found at TJ MAXX or somewhere like that, and they worked well. I only use them when I'm going out somewhere nice though, so I don't use them very often, haha that's me. They probably cost 20 or 30 bucks.

I wash my hair and let it dry. Since I have so much of it, and it's wavy, I don't have to do anything else. It dries with lots of volume all by its lonesome.

I actually use olive oil to help tone down the wildness. And regardless, I will always rinse with cold water as it's not as frizzy afterwards. And there are also plenty of other sources that say that cold water does increase shine. ;)

Yeah, hot rollers are awesome, they really work, like literally any kind in my experience. My hair's really thick and heavy though so they don't hold for long lol But I could never get volume like on top. It was always flat and then curls started farther down. I just leave my hair alone now lol

Aw man that kinda sucks haha. Well since my hair is thinner do you think it would be able to hold better? Less weight? And thanks :)

My hair is naturally thick and wavy (not as awesome as it sounds, trust me) BUT I find that blow drying my hair upside down gives me lots of volume, even when I straighten it after. I've used hot rollers before, just some that I found at TJ MAXX or somewhere like that, and they worked well. I only use them when I'm going out somewhere nice though, so I don't use them very often, haha that's me. They probably cost 20 or 30 bucks.

Really?? Does it make your hair frizzy? And do you blow dry it the whole way through upside down? Yeah I would probably only use it 1/2x a week but it would be nice to have. It's way too much work to try and create that look on my own right now. I can mostly do it but it takes too long!! Btw do you blow dry your hair in the rollers or leave it up wet? Thank you!

Aw man that kinda sucks haha. Well since my hair is thinner do you think it would be able to hold better? Less weight? And thanks :)

Yeah I would say so. Seems to make sense :)

I wash my hair and let it dry. Since I have so much of it, and it's wavy, I don't have to do anything else. It dries with lots of volume all by its lonesome.

I actually use olive oil to help tone down the wildness. And regardless, I will always rinse with cold water as it's not as frizzy afterwards. And there are also plenty of other sources that say that cold water does increase shine. ;)

That is called luck! So not my hair.

Hmmm. I use argan oil a lot to do that. Durnit. I hate that blast of cold water haha. I have gotten pretty lazy about it lately.

My ends get frizzy from the upside down blow drying but that's mainly because they are damaged from when I used to dye my hair too often. I use CHI frizz serum stuff (forget the exact name) on my ends to tame them and it works great. Again, my hair is very thick and wavy on its own though, so idk if I can recommend you any good styling products that wont weigh your hair down! =]

If I use rollers I dry my hair about 80-90% upside down, then finish drying it normal with a brush so it's smooth. Then I would spray some styling spray gel stuff on it, just a bit, and put them in the rollers.

My ends get frizzy from the upside down blow drying but that's mainly because they are damaged from when I used to dye my hair too often. I use CHI frizz serum stuff (forget the exact name) on my ends to tame them and it works great. Again, my hair is very thick and wavy on its own though, so idk if I can recommend you any good styling products that wont weigh your hair down! =]

If I use rollers I dry my hair about 80-90% upside down, then finish drying it normal with a brush so it's smooth. Then I would spray some styling spray gel stuff on it, just a bit, and put them in the rollers.

Haha that's ok you can still recommend products :) I'll just assess them first lol. See if I'll look like a drowned rat if I use it. Wow that doesn't sound too bad! And how long do you leave the rollers in? Thanks for answering all my inane questions :)

Edited by bek_cogent

I've never met someone in real life whose hair holds curls all day (if they have straight or faintly wavy hair) by using just an iron/hot rollers and hair spray. It seems so hard.......I really think the secret is in the products used and some people just have hair that holds styles betters than others. I would love to hear otherwise (so I can use the tips), though.

As for achieving volume, I have this spray mousse/foam by Redken made for volume and it works GREAT, imo. I think it's #10 in their line. I split my hair starting at one side of my head while it's damp and spray it on the roots, gently massage it in until it disappears. I move across doing this and then I blow dry it starting at the roots (I don't use high heat and I try to keep it on a light blow) going in the opposite direction of wear...does that make sense? Don't blow it the way you want it lay, blowing it at the roots in the opposite direction will create more volume. Well, it works for me anyway!

^ Yes that's like the more precise (and probably better!) way. I'm lazy so I just do it upside down :shrug:

Depending on the weather and what I'm doing, you know if I'm gonna be headbanging or something, depends on how long the style lasts. I think product helps too, but I don't know a lot of different ones. The one I use is by Tresseme I think and it's a curl enhancer spray.

For length of time, that also depends on your hair and how tight you want the curls. For nice somewhat loose waves I put the rollers in and finish my makeup and whatever else then take them out... probably about 20-30 mins. Then I would finger comb my hair, maybe flip it upside down again and spritz some hair spray.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this in a while, my hair is short right now. That's all to the best of my knowledge! Well except for the blow upside down part, I still do that.