Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magnoliana

How I got rid of my acne

I told myself that if I ever managed to get rid of my acne that I would post my secret on here. First off I have had acne for 3 years. I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I was a step away from doing that put your own pee on your face stuff. I've done everything from all-natural to proactive to holistic healing and getting rid of "candida" which a local herb woman said caused my acne. (Note: Candida and acne is a bunch of bull. Ask any doctor, and they will tell you that candida is a fungus, but all it does is soak up sugars and is beneficial [unless you have a yeast infection.]) Anyway, I've tried every regimen, including the one endorsed on this website. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of my acne and I finally did....

Simple. Simple. Simple. My acne was caused completely by anxiety and stress. It makes sense because 3 years ago I was under the most stress I had ever been under, causing a huge burst of acne. But how did it stay so long? I was so self-conscious, I would hardly leave the house. I assumed any guy I dated didn't like me because of it. Let me add that I had moderate acne. I had cysts all over my cheeks and it seemed like it had spread. I had regular acne all over my chin and jaw line, and tiny zits all over my forehead. I developed really bad anxiety because of it. If you looked at me, I assumed you were staring at my acne. I would feel extremely anxious doing things like brushing my teeth; especially, whenever I looked at my acne or treated it.

I had thought for years that there was something wrong with me. I developed heart palpitations, tingling feet and hands, I'd get extremely hot. The symptoms started around the time my acne showed up.

After I realized I had anxiety and I treated it, I take Tryptoval- which is herbal and raises serotonin. I didn't want to take anything from a doctor, because I've been on lexapro in the past and it made me really spacey and I'm trying to stay focused for school. Anyway, it doesn't help 100% but it get's me to the point where I can say stop and relax. My zits went away within a month, including my huge MULTIPLE cysts. I feel great I don't have to hide my face. Apart from that the only thing that I do is wash with cetaphil once a day (I used to have oily skin), and when I had the zits I'd put 10% BP on them. I have also been doing an occasional yogurt mask, it does wonders for scarring.

I feel great, and I'm leaving the house not feeling self-conscious!

Hopefully with some of you, your problem was as simple as mine and you get a quick recovery too!

I told myself that if I ever managed to get rid of my acne that I would post my secret on here. First off I have had acne for 3 years. I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I was a step away from doing that put your own pee on your face stuff. I've done everything from all-natural to proactive to holistic healing and getting rid of "candida" which a local herb woman said caused my acne. (Note: Candida and acne is a bunch of bull. Ask any doctor, and they will tell you that candida is a fungus, but all it does is soak up sugars and is beneficial [unless you have a yeast infection.]) Anyway, I've tried every regimen, including the one endorsed on this website. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of my acne and I finally did....

Simple. Simple. Simple. My acne was caused completely by anxiety and stress. It makes sense because 3 years ago I was under the most stress I had ever been under, causing a huge burst of acne. But how did it stay so long? I was so self-conscious, I would hardly leave the house. I assumed any guy I dated didn't like me because of it. Let me add that I had moderate acne. I had cysts all over my cheeks and it seemed like it had spread. I had regular acne all over my chin and jaw line, and tiny zits all over my forehead. I developed really bad anxiety because of it. If you looked at me, I assumed you were staring at my acne. I would feel extremely anxious doing things like brushing my teeth; especially, whenever I looked at my acne or treated it.

I had thought for years that there was something wrong with me. I developed heart palpitations, tingling feet and hands, I'd get extremely hot. The symptoms started around the time my acne showed up.

After I realized I had anxiety and I treated it, I take Tryptoval- which is herbal and raises serotonin. I didn't want to take anything from a doctor, because I've been on lexapro in the past and it made me really spacey and I'm trying to stay focused for school. Anyway, it doesn't help 100% but it get's me to the point where I can say stop and relax. My zits went away within a month, including my huge MULTIPLE cysts. I feel great I don't have to hide my face. Apart from that the only thing that I do is wash with cetaphil once a day (I used to have oily skin), and when I had the zits I'd put 10% BP on them. I have also been doing an occasional yogurt mask, it does wonders for scarring.

I feel great, and I'm leaving the house not feeling self-conscious!

Hopefully with some of you, your problem was as simple as mine and you get a quick recovery too!

I know that stress caused my acne, too. Now that I'm not stressed anymore because of an online stress program with my health insurance, meditation, and eating flax seed meal daily, I have a few cysts that remain but are going away. I'm happy for you!

Wow, impressive. That's so great for you :)

Stress and acne are a vicious cycle. I get stressed, and break out. Then I stress because I'm breaking out and it goes on for months and then stops. And I'm a very easily stressed person lol

I always wonder how significant the connection between anxiety and acne is... personally I think it's huge. I've had anxiety for a while and I always seem to notice a correlation between panic attacks and breakouts... it makes sense because of all the chemical stuff that goes on when you have anxiety, yet for all you hear about stress causing acne, no one ever seems to say that anxiety causes acne (but maybe that's because to most people they are the same thing?). So glad you are having success :)

I agree 100%. Whenever I worry, I break out. Whenever I'm stress free, I'm acne free. Our minds are very powerful. I turn 41 next, and still break out. But once I notice a flare-up coming on, I start doing that positive thinking stuff, and it works. I'm going to pick up some zinc and see if that will help my acne even more. BP has been my best friend since breaking out at 21 years old. And why did I start breaking out at 21? Because I started worrying at that age. Mind over matter.

Guest Timehealsall

i think this method works for some people, but not all. I think some people DO need to use products and cant just be stress free, hoping their acne will fade

i think this method works for some people, but not all.

But all such methods are still interesting because they

may offer clues to the actual underlying mechanism

and an understanding of when/why they work for one

person and not another.

Tryptoval is full of chemicals that are relevant to the

sleep cycle. It's hard to guess what any person means by

"stress", but a good first approximation is simply "area

under the curve of cortisol". Productive sleep requires

melatonin, which usually can't be elevated without a

corresponding decrease in cortisol during each nightly

cycle. And then, there's the usual:

I was so self-conscious, I would hardly leave the house.

Since living in dim indoor light also makes it hard to have

a normal sleep cycle, it contributes to increased cortisol

(aka, "the stress hormone"), any improvement that gets

you outdoors is likely a stress decreaser (in the direct,

biochemical sense).

i think this method works for some people, but not all. I think some people DO need to use products and cant just be stress free, hoping their acne will fade

I completely agree!

Edited by Miracle wonderful

I think there is a strong connection between stress and ance but not a direct causes > effect connection.

Different people have different causes, regardless, i'm happy you have gotten free. :)

I think there is a strong connection between stress and ance but not a direct causes > effect connection.

Different people have different causes, regardless, i'm happy you have gotten free. :)

^Agree with this, I have not found stress-free to help me be acne-free. I eat a low protein/potassium/sodium diet for my health issues, average caffiene intake (no soda) from coffee and tea and probably medium water intake. I've found with increated water intake no bonus for less acne either, so I think that some stress is a trigger but it's not the trigger for everyone.

Good to hear you are free, and that you figured it out :)

I have not found stress-free to help me be acne-free. I eat a low protein/potassium/sodium diet for my health issues, average caffiene intake (no soda) from coffee and tea and probably medium water intake. I've found with increated water intake no bonus for less acne either, so I think that some stress is a trigger but it's not the trigger for everyone.

One of the worst break outs ever for me, literally overnight, was on holiday when I was the least stressed ever. Long hot day laying in the Spanish sun, I thought a few ice cold lemonades wouldn't hurt, turned out it did. Next day, back and chest literally covered with hundreds of small spots, pustules and white heads. Couldn't have been less stressed up to that point in my holiday.