Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
booacne

What is going to happen?

Hey so about a week ago i had a huge cyst that i had to pop and drain. I went to the derm and got a cortizone injection and it is all clear. She also gave me some altabax to put on for 5 days? Not sure what it did. I picked at the scab and now it is very red and there isn't much scab left. It did bleed where i picked a little and i'm hoping that means it will rescab. Will this create a scar instead? right now it feels a little hard to touch and is slightly yellow around the edges but red and dried bloody in the middle. My acne cyst scabs usually don't leave scars (for which i am very thankful and fortunate) but i am extremely nervous about this one because my face is totally clear besides it and it is very noticeable with one huge red spot right next to my nose. So, will this scab or scar? Also, any advice as to what to put on it? at my disposal i have ACV, neosporin, altabax, aloe vera, and calamine. My real goal is to get it to scab... i think. I just DO NOT want a big scar in that spot. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!

well, the question isn't is it going to scab or scar. you won't know if its going to scar for a very, very long time, scars are permanent type deals. you might have a red mark there for awhile, but you won't really know for sure as far as scarring, and no one can really tell you because not only is everyones skin different, but any pimple can react in a number of ways.

it will rescab, especially if its bleeding, and you just need to let it go. treat it with something like neosporin, or vitamin e, just something to keep the area moist, and then continue to treat it regularly even when the scab is gone and theres just a red mark.

good luck.

Thank you for the insight and advice. A few questions.

What of those things that i have should i apply? I have read alot of conflicting stuff on aloe vera and neosporin. I don't think it is infected considering the acne stuff is all gone.

When should you finally peel off a scab? when it is fully formed? When i picked it off none of it was together and i pulled off many many small pieces. Is there a time? like now that i have evenly ruined the old scab should i wait 2 days? 3?

I have had acne for years(mostly forehead and back, but the occasionally cyst on upper lip or cheek or neck) but never had scars, is there a possibility old acne will become scars? You said I wouldn't know for a long time.

This week has been torture because it is very large and noticeable, right next to my nose. I'm just ready to be done and go back the the outgoing and friendly me. I can handle a little redness, but a bloodred mark in the middle of my face is killer. any other speeding advice or anything to put my mind at ease about this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

When should you finally peel off a scab? when it is fully formed? When i picked it off none of it was together and i pulled off many many small pieces. Is there a time? like now that i have evenly ruined the old scab should i wait 2 days? 3?

Don't peel off the scab at all. It'll fall off in its own.

I've read that alot but once when i was younger i got a cut on my hand and the scab seemed to like melt into my skin and i have a permanent, raised scar there. Ever since that i have thought to peel em off. I don't mind because it looks kind cool on your hand but one on my face would be very unwelcome

Do not keep picking off the scab. Continually doing so will prolong the healing process much longer than it has to be and can increase the chance of it leaving a mark or even scarring (by the way, old acne that left no marks will not return and be scars; you don't really know if MARKS are scars until they fade or don't fade with time) . You should really let it be without picking it until the scab is basically falling off on its own, but if you use vitamin e oil or neosporin to keep it moist then it won't have to be a huge dry scab. Just remember that a scab is the skin trying to heal up and when you tear it all open again it's almost like starting over from scratch. If you leave it alone, it will not be so red and it will fade much faster than if you pick at it. I know this from experience haha Good luck! ;)

Update, full day later. dabbing with a tissue still brings away the yellow scab pus stuff and some blood. shouldn't it not be bleeding anymore?? It doesn't even look like a scab is forming at all, just looks like deepish redness:(

Please help me:( it looks like there is already a scar or something i don't know. I don't want a big red scar on my face for the rest of my life, it's so noticable

Edited by booacne

What of those things that i have should i apply? I have read alot of conflicting stuff on aloe vera and neosporin. I don't think it is infected considering the acne stuff is all gone.

when it is a scab type deal, or just something depressed and more of a bruise than a red mark, i prefer neosporin. i would then advise switching it up to aloe vera or vitamin e oil or something when it actually becomes a red mark.

never "finally" peel off a scab. it will eventually be able to just be rubbed off softly after you shower or wash your face or something. and you shouldn't wait 2 or 3 days to even start THINKING about it, the scab should last for about a week, a week and a half.

I have had acne for years(mostly forehead and back, but the occasionally cyst on upper lip or cheek or neck) but never had scars, is there a possibility old acne will become scars? You said I wouldn't know for a long time.

there's the possibility any acne could become a scar. but really, you just have to not worry about those things and continue treating your face. just about everything does get worked out, even if after a year or so.

in all honesty, you really need to put a band aid on it or something, because it sounds like you're giving it WAY too much attention. you shouldn't be dabbing it or touching it or doing anything. the best thing to do for it is get some neosporin on it and stay away from it. try just putting a band aid on it or something to keep you away from doing any more damage.