Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Avita / Retin-A gel is really making me peel like crazy. What's the best way to really get rid of the unsightly dead skin flakes? Do you just rub it off in the shower? What moisturizer works best for the new skin? I've tried Cetaphil but it seems to cause more irritation for some reason.

I've been there. In my experience, Tazorac is even worse than Retin A. The #1 thing I would make sure is that you are not putting too much on. I've used a lot of retinoids and the one thing I wish I had known earlier was that when they mean a little bit, you should follow the directions and not be a moron like me! A real gentle exfoliator to get rid of the flakey skin is baking soda. Another way to get rid of the flakes is to use scotch tape. I never found a moisturizer that works 100%, but I like aloe vera because its simple and doesn't clog my pores.

I would agree with blueeyedbia. You should do a search for the tape method in the scar forums here, I think that one might help once or twice a week. Also, have you tried an AHA moisturiser, that might be a good idea. Eucerin Renewal seems to minimise my flaky skin nicely.

i only have bacne, none on my face

and i like the peeling, tells me its working and my hyperpigmentation seems to be improving slightly

every few days i use nivea for men face scrub on my back to get off the skin though

Is it OK to use petroleum jelly on the face? I tried it on a few very dry spots with redness and it seems to work without breaking me out. I know some people use it when they are on Accutane to protect the skin.

Its okay to use petroleum jelly if it doesn't break you out, but watch those spots carefully.

BTW, I would not use the tape method if I were you. While it works well if you are not on retinoids, people who are on prescription medications and who have done the tape method have ripped skin off before it was ready to come off (even with regular scotch tape) which led to hyperpigmentation problems.

I'd ask the doctor who prescribed you the medication what moisturiser they recommend....have heard that Eucerin Oil Free SPF 15 is a nice one. I use one with salicylic acid in it which I love but you need to be more careful in choosing and using anything like that as it could aggravate the flaking/redness even more.

Replace Retin-A with something else! Call your doctor and complain! My derm replaced Retin-A with Differin and that was the best thing that ever happened to my skin.

I use aloe vera when my skin is peeling...and it doesnt cause more breakouts like other moisturisers that i have used...its pretty cheap too, i got a bottle of it from walmart for 2$ smile.gif