Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frida.k

FRAXEL REPAIR LASER RECOMMENDATIONS VICTORIA, AUS?

Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who can recommend me to someone in Victoria, Australia?

Iam going to my regular dermatologist next week to discuss the repair but I have never heard of anyone else who has done this procedure???!!!

Iam looking to treat, indented scarring, poor skin texture, and hyper pigmentation. I have spoken to my doc in the past about fraxel and he said I wont need the repair and should do restore, but from the many posts read I dont believe restore will yield the results Iam looking for...

Also any advice before a repair laser would be greatly appreciated...

Hi Dudley,

First can I say, I was quite thrilled you had replied in my post (albeit to tell me off :doh:) I have followed your posts for some time and found them informative and balanced. You are the reason I have decided to pursue Re:pair as opposed to Re:store.

Anyway, it is very funny you should post because directly after posting I found the exact same question already asked... So sorry - us aussies eh?!

I just wanted to hear of other peoples experiences who have had laser in Melbourne and could recommend as I know of no-one.

According to your links Dudley, there is only one place that offers Fraxel Re:pair in Melbourne. I have supplied the details below if the other questioners are still around.

Laser Dermatology

503 Elgar Rd

Box Hill, VIC 3129

Australia

61 3 98901975

Thank you Dudley again, for keeping us laser rookies in line lol ;)

Just a quick update -

I did a bit of searching around and found Laser Dermatology houses one Dr. Philip Bekhor. He has an extremely good reputation and amongst other things is head of a Laser Department for the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne.

I rang for an appt and was told he was so booked that appointemnts were now being taken for 2011!!!!!

EEk!

But, I had a lovely receptionist offer for one of his nurses to give me call... So Iam waiting on that

i find it really interesting there is only one place in victoria that does fraxel repair.

in nsw, we have at least 5.

hope all goes well with your appointment !

if it doesnt go to plan, id be happy to recommend some in sydney.

Hi Dudley, I was just making a joke of my self :)

Mr. Sunshine - I was very surprised too that Re:pair was only showing up for one place in Melbourne. And even odder I spoke to the nurse from the office and she says they only use affirm non ablative laser?!

Dudley could that list be out dated for Australia?

Just a quick update if anyone in oz cares to know

I saw Dr. Bekhor and his nurse sue today. Yes they do have re:pair and are the only place in Victoria to have so. They have also never used repair yet on acne scarring patients and while the us seems to have had a couple of years with the technology repair is still very new here. The confusion arose from the fact that the nurses were only allowed to use the affirm laser, and Dr. Bekhor could only provide the repair.

Unfortunately because the repair is a new technology here, I was turned away from the repair because they had never used it on acne scarring before and also because they thought it was too radical for me. At the end of the day I have to trust in their experience and knowledge that repair would not be for me, and ignore the other evidence on this board from members who have tried lesser/milder lasers than the repair and have got little results and wasted their money...

In any case, I wanted to note my experience with Dr. Bekhor and his nurse Sue. Sue was hands down the most knowledgeable, kind, empathetic nurse I have ever spoke to in regards to my skin. Likewise I found Dr. Bekhor to be trustworthy intelligent and straight to the point.

hey, im sorry to hear they wouldnt do it for you. this is the complete opposite to what is on offer in sydney. there is a place in the cbd where an asian lady (who was on kerri anne's morning show) who uses fraxel repair regularly for acne scarring.

a lot of places dont seem to offer fraxel repair (1) because they dont know how to use it or (2) they are trying to get you to do a weaker laser treatment first. getting you to do a weaker one and then finally a fraxel repair means they can get more money out of you. i think its probably more the second in your case.

if you simply want the fraxel repair and are willing to travel up to sydney, i can give you the details of someone who does it often for acne scarring :)

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will give the restore a go first - I have my appt next Monday. If I dont see any results or am unhappy I will seriously consider heading to Sydney. Melbourne seems to be very far behind in regards to laser advances.

Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who can recommend me to someone in Victoria, Australia?

Iam going to my regular dermatologist next week to discuss the repair but I have never heard of anyone else who has done this procedure???!!!

Iam looking to treat, indented scarring, poor skin texture, and hyper pigmentation. I have spoken to my doc in the past about fraxel and he said I wont need the repair and should do restore, but from the many posts read I dont believe restore will yield the results Iam looking for...

Also any advice before a repair laser would be greatly appreciated...

Hey Frida, Dr Greg Goodman is very good. I had cystic acne about 8 yrs ago and have since been blessed with the beautiful pitted scarring! I have been to see Greg quite a few different types of treatments to try to minimise the scarring. I've had peels, Fraxel laser and Restalyne pumped into them. Restalyne was probably the best but it doesn't last and you still end up with the shiny scar skin on top. Fraxel helped a little but need to have 4-5 treatments. I stopped at 3 due to $. I've now booked in for co2 dot laser which Greg recommended. I'm having that done in a couple of weeks. I recommend him for any treatment you may be looking at. He is a professor and very highly regarded in his field. Goodluck and let me know how you go.

Hi Nessie,

Yes I have come to love Dr. Goodman too! :) At first I wasnt sure of him but the more I see him the more I take to him - he tries to the best by you and will listen to you and only do what you feel comfortable with. Unfortunately I will be going back on Roaccutane in a week and my scarring treatments will be put on hold for at least another year. Sigh, I hate my face :rolleyes:

Hi Nessie,

Yes I have come to love Dr. Goodman too! :) At first I wasnt sure of him but the more I see him the more I take to him - he tries to the best by you and will listen to you and only do what you feel comfortable with. Unfortunately I will be going back on Roaccutane in a week and my scarring treatments will be put on hold for at least another year. Sigh, I hate my face :rolleyes:

Oh Frida, im sorry to hear you have to go back on the dreaded accutane. I was in the middle of scar treatments as well when I broke out. All is fine with the exception of some side effects im getting checked out. Think of the next year as a time for contemplation - choosing the best treatment :) Thats how i try and think about it and its helping a bit.

I've seen a few things written by Dr Goodman and you are really lucky to see him :) I'm seeing someone in Sydney at the moment and she seems great. I havent had any treatments yet through her, but shes just so easy to talk to. Its important to trust who you see. Its our skin after all.

Hi Nessie,

Yes, he is a bit of a character! I'm going next Thurs for this co2 fractional laser thing. Hope it helps. I feel this is the last treatment I will be doing, I have tried so many things already. Going on Roaccutane is difficult. I was on that for about 6 mths I think but it really does help. It's good that you are going on it now and not in the middle of Summer. Keep your chin up! I hate my face too :( It's hard to hear comments made by other girls about my skin. You know..."Oh she is kinda pretty but OMG! She is just a scarface! Look at her skin!" Laugh, laugh...it can really bring me down but the day will come when the scarring will be less obvious and then I will feel more confident. Fingers crossed! Good luck Frida with the Roaccutane...