Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Scarlett Skies

Post Accutane Fix-me-up?

Guest Scarlett Skies

I am just wondering if there is anything one can do AFTER a course of Accutane to help with the harmful effects it has on the body ie: the liver? Are there cleanses that one might do or supplements? I'm thinking I might take Milk Thistle and perhaps do some sort of cleanse. What other recommendations might there be for post-tane care?

I've read that the cleanses do nothing to help your liver. I wish I had the article handy.

Found it:

http://www.burnthefat.com/colon_cleansing_scam.html

Just about everything that falls under the umbrella term of "cleansing" is pseudo science or scam, unless you consider increasing your fruit, vegetable and fiber intake from whole foods as "cleansing."
Edited by SClippers

I am just wondering if there is anything one can do AFTER a course of Accutane to help with the harmful effects it has on the body ie: the liver? Are there cleanses that one might do or supplements? I'm thinking I might take Milk Thistle and perhaps do some sort of cleanse. What other recommendations might there be for post-tane care?

Heya

Liver cleansing diets are actually really beneficial to the body, regardless if you've recently been on Accutane or not. There is a book called 'The Liver Cleansing Diet' by Sandra Cabot. I've read it and learnt a lot. I followed the principles for about a month and felt really good. I still keep a relatively liver-friendly diet now but do have a few treats now and then.

Pretty much you live on a caveman like diet (which is really healthy): Lots of fruits and veges, lots of nuts and seeds, wholegrains, honey, fish and chicken, eggs, no white flours foods, no processed foods, limited dairy, limited sugar. Most importantly- tons water or green tea.

Hope this helps, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

Guest Scarlett Skies

Thanks SClippers. I'm on the fence about this one, some of what the author writes rings true, yet he is so "Science, proof, mainstream medical" and that bugs me. I guess it depends on what type of cleanse you are looking at. I've done the Brown rice cleanse, and no, there is no proof that it works because who would spend money on researching/testing such a thing? There's no money in it. It worked for me though!

Shantelle....A liver cleansing diet makes sense! Thanks. I do a sort-of caveman diet at the moment and adhere to the foods on your list with the exception of eating very little whole grains. It makes sense that the less work your liver has to do, the healthier it will be and more able to heal after Accutane. I will be doing this!