Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I KNOW I'm going to get flack for this, like 'why would you complain about being pretty', but I'm going to complain about being pretty so don't read it if you don't want to hear about it. I am suffering from second place syndrome..a psychological phenomenon where the silver medal winner is more unhappy than the bronze medal winner because they were THAT much closer to reaching the gold. I feel that way as a pretty girl with bad skin, especially since a lot of my skin problems could have been avoided with care, so I often think to myself.. 'I could have had it all'. I'm talking about scarring, so no it's not just acne anymore and it is relatively permanent.

Sometimes I just think about the past and the fact that for a brief period in time I was a teenage goddess with the body, the face, and the confidence, and at least I got to enjoy it. At 19, I now consider my youth/beauty years to be over solely because of my skin. I realized that my wardrobe has been significantly de-feminized to match how I feel..I used to love dressing up, wearing dresses, etc, but I've adopted a more simple, androgynous style. Nowadays when I wear a dress and make up my skin makes the whole package look a little 'off'.

I'm not gonna go on. I live in the past. I always have flashbacks to the early high school years, the good years...I live in the past.

Edited by xanaxx

I hated school. I never got bullied or nothing i just found it really boring

as for pretty girls with bad skin. It's no big deal a good looking girl

is a good looking girl and bad skin or a bit of weight doesn't change that.

not really that much of a psychological phenomenon, it's actually a pretty common thing. a lot of people who come close to getting first can take a huge hit because they didn't quite get there.

if you live in the past, that's your choice, but it's not going to get you anywhere, which is pretty sad considering how much of life you have yet to live. i don't really believe you can't come through this, can't fight through, and still come out with decent skin, especially since as you say you already have some pretty looks. Living in the past when you are just 19 is practically unacceptable. you haven't even hit the best years of life, and believe it or not, most girls (no matter what skin issues they might encounter in their teens or whatever) don't really hit their beauty peak until much later.

hopefully you can find a way to change the way you feel about all of this, i'm sorry you're having such trouble with it. good luck.

All I can say is don't lose hope, 19 is way too young to give up on yourself. Right now I'm in my mid-twenties and probably have the best skin I've had in years, maybe even 10 years. Things can definitely change for the better, you just need to find out what works for you. It is possible to beat acne!

I know how you feel, I look back at pictures of myself and think - I really did look good, but now I dont see that, all I see is my bad skin. I took for granted all those years of slear skin, worrying about how my tummy wasnt flat or my hair wasnt long enough!

You are 19, your stil young and I would recommend talking to someone about how you feel?

You're not alone, Im sure many of us feel this way.

Best of luck to you x

There was a recent study showing that women are most attractive/appealing at age 31. They are beautiful and the insecurities of youth have faded and they are more confident. The "perfect" package apparently.

There was a recent study showing that women are most attractive/appealing at age 31.

Everyone is different but i can believe it.

You're nowhere near your prime at 19. :P Give it another 20 years, then we'll talk.