Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dx4567

Does anyone else believe that Dermaroller doesn't work?

Am I the only one who thinks that Dermaroller is a load of rubbish?

I've had 5 dermaroller treatments so far, and I can honestly say there has been no improvement.

In addition to being ineffective, jabbing into your face repeatedly with needles can't be good surely? I can't help but feel the general quality of my skin (acne scars aside, i mean tone, texture, etc) has deteriorated since I've been having dermaroller.

It just seems like another money making 'treatment' to me. Its just not worth it, not to mention the downtime/time off work and having to avoid the sun.

In theory it should work similar to fractionalized Co2 laser, but I think the ablation factor is the thing missing. I won't officially pan it, but I have stopped doing it until I see some double blind studies proving its efficacy.

Am I the only one who thinks that Dermaroller is a load of rubbish?

I've had 5 dermaroller treatments so far, and I can honestly say there has been no improvement.

In addition to being ineffective, jabbing into your face repeatedly with needles can't be good surely? I can't help but feel the general quality of my skin (acne scars aside, i mean tone, texture, etc) has deteriorated since I've been having dermaroller.

It just seems like another money making 'treatment' to me. Its just not worth it, not to mention the downtime/time off work and having to avoid the sun.

It surely might be ineffective in your case. Anyhoo, we have seen some people on this board claiming, that derma-roller did work for them. My guess is that your skin has not reacted to this treatment, but yet, this doesn't mean that everyone's skin would behave the same way yours did. I'm convinced, that derma-roller works, but you need to religiously follow the officcial protocol, created by the actual derma-roller inventor Horst Liebl and you have to make sure that you use the original device. By this I do not mean that you might have abused these elementary recomendations, it's just that people react to certain procedures in different ways.

I myself have followed at least 6-7 threads of people using the derma-roller. One was started by Lamarr, he used LEDs in conjunction with rolling, and he claims, that he got rid of most of his scarring in 1.5 years.

the other thread was created by Shin, he managed to achieve 50-60% reduction of his scars in 5 rolls - it took him 6-7 months to accomplish that.

The other "fresh" thread was started by Chee, you may be interested to have a look on it -http://www.acne.org/messageboard/dermaroll-D-will-t270180.html

I do not have any experience using the derma-roller myself, but I have done some research on this subject for the past 3-4 months, I have had coversations with people, who have tried out everything and nothing except derma-roller has ever helped them.

NO. I do not believe that derma-roller is a load of rubbish. It's actually one treatment that I'm putting my hopes on....

I'm really sorry that this hasn't worked for you, I know it really sucks to put some effort on something and then, getting 0 back...

I had very negative experience with lasers, spending lots of money and ending up with red skin for months.... not even getting 0% improvement on my scars after. Anyhoo, I can't say that laser's wack, cuz it just didn't work for me, I actually know couple of people on this board, who actually did benefit a lot from lasers.

Edited by Benni B.

The whole point of the Dermaroller isn't to reduce scarring by itself, its to allow products to absorb easier into the deeper layers of skin.

When you usually apply a product to your skin, it isn't being fully absorbed into the skin, but by making temporary micro holes in your skin, it allows the product to sink in better.

Try combining Dermarolling with something like Bio/Emu oil or a Vitamin E Cream and you should begin to see some improvement with time.

Fraz I dont think Dermaroller is to allow products to soak into your skin more easily. Yes there are healing creams, but it is the tissue that forms (due to the distress of the needle puncturing the skin) which is supposed to 'plump' out scars.

After reading the replies, I have to say I'm still not convinced. The product and how its supposed to work just seem a little too good to be true in my opinion.

I did find that Dermaroller made your skin look nice 1-2 weeks after the treatment, but a few weeks later it just reverts back to how it was. As Benni suggested, perhaps my skin is of the sort that doesn't heal as well as others, hence no improvement with dermaroller.

I have seen the dermatologist (NHS) regarding my concerns, yet she says there isnt much else that can be done. I can't help but feel she isn't offering me all the options available, due to the alternatives being expensive. On the other hand, I really don't want to go private, as I really don't trust private cosmetic surgeons.

The scars on my face are quite an issue for me, but from a dematologists perspective they aren't so bad - which confuses me even more; surely if my scars are 'superficial' as they say, something can be done about it?

The scars on my face are quite an issue for me, but from a dematologists perspective they aren't so bad - which confuses me even more; surely if my scars are 'superficial' as they say, something can be done about it?

Yeah, I know how you feel. Everybody (including the NHS) have told me that my scarring doesnt look that bad. But we always percieve our scars as looking far worse than they do and thats why scarring is such an issue for us.

We always look at ourselfs and pick out our faults in the worst possible lighting.

I truly believe that scarring is far more of a phycological issue than it is physically. We want to look good in as many mirrors as possible, but everybody feels that way.

Whether there is a physical cure for our scarring or not, I think tackling the phycological issues is equally as important.

Guys if you're seeing derms for your scars on the NHS i dont know why you dont just go see dr.Chu hes on the NHS and people have nothing but good things to say about him. Seems by far the best choice if you live in the UK.

Fraz I dont think Dermaroller is to allow products to soak into your skin more easily. Yes there are healing creams, but it is the tissue that forms (due to the distress of the needle puncturing the skin) which is supposed to 'plump' out scars.

After reading the replies, I have to say I'm still not convinced. The product and how its supposed to work just seem a little too good to be true in my opinion.

I did find that Dermaroller made your skin look nice 1-2 weeks after the treatment, but a few weeks later it just reverts back to how it was. As Benni suggested, perhaps my skin is of the sort that doesn't heal as well as others, hence no improvement with dermaroller.

I have seen the dermatologist (NHS) regarding my concerns, yet she says there isnt much else that can be done. I can't help but feel she isn't offering me all the options available, due to the alternatives being expensive. On the other hand, I really don't want to go private, as I really don't trust private cosmetic surgeons.

Dude, I personally, have never tried to convince you in anything... you asked a question if anyone on this board thinks that dermaroller's crap... so I told you what I think.

Well, anyhoo, what I do think is that your derm might've used the inappropirate derma-roller e.g brand (quality), length of the needles, gap between the treatments, topicals, her technique might've been wrong, your age, skin type or your genetics - there are actually so many circumstances that could've played that negative role in your case. I hope you made some research on this subject on your own before undergoing this treatment, spending money and just wasting time during the recovery...

If you'd be a bad healer, probably you would've end up with a skin more crappy then you began with, so I don't think that this is the case... well, anyhoo if you think that you don't heal as good as the other guys from this board who used derma-roller and had success with it, you may consider using LEDs... there is an actual thread on the board, a guy there, Lamarr, a very respected member at his time, a bad healer due to accutane btw, has described the exact protocol of how to use the LEDs in conjuction with derma-rolling. "The LED lights should increase your healing potential by at least 50%", Lamarr sais, and the thread is called "OK, Guys". sorry can't get the link for ya, I'm busy - gotta do some work now, lol. Yeah, and I guess you could even PM some of the derma-roller users from this board, I'm pretty sure they'll help you and answer your questions if you got any... some of them have a very long rolling experience...

Anyhoo, I hope this helps.

Could you be a bit more specific? All you're saying is that it didn't work without any details. Like what size were the needles? Did you use any topicals? How far apart were the treatments?

I've improved my worst (deep) scar 60/70 % with 2 rolls spread over 6 weeks.

Dermaroller works great.

I was hopeless, thougth I would be scarred for life, but now the worst scar is almost leveled out.

I think I will be able to improve it at least 90% with future rolls, and maybe level it out completely to the point that only a change of pigment color is noticable.

I will roll again in one week, can't wait.

This time i'll treat my other scars to, just wanted to test it on one so i'd be sure it didn't make things worse.

I'm sorry it's not working for you but it's no bullshit treatment or something.

Maybe you're doing it wrong, not using the correct topicals or something.

The dermaroller changed my life