Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
singingfool

Protecting your skin from the sun

Antioxidants, antioxidants and more antioxidants! They won't protect you from burning/tanning but they will help repair the cells and help prevent DNA damage. Your best bet is sunscreen though! The antioxidants can only do so much

Omega 3's, vitamins A, C, E Are extremely important nutrients for sun protection. Though I advise getting them from high quality-food sources and not supplements, if at all possible.

There's been some surprisingly promising research concerning a fern called Polypodium leucotomos, and how compounds in it can concentrate in the skin and provide some protection against UV rays. You can read about it at the link.. there's a couple different brands.

http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/...reen-in-a-pill/

But even the sellers acknowledge the internal protection is minimal at best. Bottom line, you need to use sunblock regardless of what you eat.

Eat tomatoes (I think it's the lycopene)

Here you can make this ketchup:

* 2 3/4 cups home canned tomato puree or 2 cans (10 3/4 ounce size) plain tomato puree

* 1/8 teaspoon allspice

* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

* 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Stevia powder

* 1/2 teaspoon ocean sea salt

* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder

* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

* 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1. Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan.

2. Stir over moderate heat a few minutes until mixture bubbles up.

3. Reduce heat to low and cover it with a lid in a tilted position, allowing steam to escape.

4. Continue to cook and stir occasionally for 30 to 45 minutes or to thicken as desired.

5. Pour into a pint jar and cool to room temperature.

6. Cover and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks. Ketchup may also be frozen.

It's a candida diet recipe and it's a lot better than store bought (not sugary or drenched in vinegar). I hope you like ketchup =)

Protection from the sun? The sun is your friend, but so is your body. Listen to it. You know when you've been out in the sun too long. The only thing you need to do is eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.

crab some want a tan :P I always do first half hour no sunblock , then if i want more I put on a low factor sunscreen 8 or 18 depending on the time. When it gets to hot or you see something getting red put on more. Eat raw veggies for antio oxidants. I prefer spinach it also has a pretty good omega ratio. And the veggies will give you the other nutrients like Vit A vit E etc that'll help you with the sun.

Protection from the sun? The sun is your friend, but so is your body. Listen to it. You know when you've been out in the sun too long. The only thing you need to do is eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.

That doesn't mean it doesn't cause free-radical damage, which is why you consume the antioxidents your body uses to prevent and repair it.

To the OP, in addition to the vitamins mentioned, there are many phytonutrients you won't get from supplements so you want to consume lots of colorful fruits and vegetables.

Also, some are absorbable through the skin and work topically. Zinc, C, green tea are examples.

Edited by alternativista

I know this post was about supps.....but I'm all about food for sun protection. Here are some tidbits from the collection of articles I've saved on food and sun protection:

You can increase your skin's natural UV resistance by eating lots of deep yellow-orange vegetables and fruits. The carotenoids in these foods accumulate in your skin, so eat them on a regular basis to keep your natural sun protection up. Example are sweet potatoes, carrots, apricots, mangoes, and winter squash.

The carotenoid lycopene when eaten in sufficient quantities, acts as a natural sunscreen, and also encourages the production of collagen. Tomatoes are the best source of lycopene - but for optimal absorption they have to be cooked and consumed with fat (so tomato sauce made w/ olive oil, tomato soup, salsa made with cooked tomatoes). I am a big fan of raw salsa, so to make salsa a better source of lycopene I started adding a scoop of tomato paste, or baking one of the tomatoes before adding it. Other sources of lycopene are watermelon and grapefruit, but I don't think they have anywhere near as much as tomatoes. From the article I have - "...healthy adults who ate 5 to 10 milligrams of lycopene for 12 weeks decreased sunburn by approximately 50 percent."

Chocolate is a natural skin protector because it contains flavanols. Stick to very dark chocolate, or buy the raw cacao to add it smoothies or home-made trail mix. straight from the article a study in 2006 "showed that consuming 329 milligrams of cocoa (flavanols) daily for three months reduced sunburn, improved dermal thickness and hydration, and decreased roughness and scaling of the skin in otherwise healthy middle-aged women."

Red wine provides some UV protection within 40 minutes of consumption.

From a different article: "green and white tea; vitamins A, C, and E; coffee; lutein (kale, broccoli, spinach, parsley, and basil); zeaxanthin (yellow-orange foods, peppers, and corn); soy; berries; pomegranate; turmeric; ginger; and seaweed have been shown to provide internal UV protection in a variety of other studies"

and if you really want a pill, I've read that pycnogenol, whatever the heck that is, reduces sunburns greatly.

^There's also proanthocyanidins which are in just about anything purple, red, blue. And even green and other colored things in which the chlorophyl hides the red, purple, blue pigments.

Therefore, just eat lots of colorful, flavorful plant foods which you want to do for dozens of reasons anyway.

Edited by alternativista