Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Looking for a new Shampoo and Conditioner

Does anyone know of a cheap and good shampoo and conditioner that does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate!?

I know most do, but its worth a shot to ask....

Guest Timehealsall

i think most organic shampoos dont?

For me it just increases sensitivity which in turn leads to contact dermatitis. Thanks!!

I've been using Burt's Bees shampoo (the pomegranate and soy kind) because I also wanted to try going sulfate free. The good thing is that my hair looks really good and has now adjusted so that it stays less oily with less washing (I usually wash every other day, just using water in between). The weird thing is that my forehead, which had rarely ever broken out despite my heavy bangs and sulfate shampoos, started breaking out when I began to use it. I'm guessing it was the fact that all the oils were no longer being stripped from my hair so my skin broke out from that. It wasn't a big deal since my hair covers my forehead so I stuck with it and now my forehead has cleared up. I don't think that would be a problem if your hair doesn't hang on your face, or if it covers it up like mine.

Anyways, I like the shampoo a lot. I just use it on top of my head, around the part and the crown, and let the rest of my hair just get a little when I rinse it out. I don't even use conditioner anymore; I don't need to. Beware though that it doesn't feel like regular shampoo. It's very liquidy and it doesn't lather much (due to the lack of sulfates, although a lot of people in reviews complain about it haha) but it still cleans. It doesn't give you that squeaky clean feel that most people expect so it can come across as not cleansing but really it just isn't stripping every bit of natural oil out of your hair. It can take a little bit for your hair to get used to it but it should stop overproducing oil as you stop over cleaning it. It also has a nice smell. If you're looking for something gentle and more natural it might be worth a shot. Just remember that most people don't really know what their hair is supposed to feel like so it's easy to overkill and do stuff to it that is actually causing the problem (dryness, oiliness, etc.) Give it a chance to work and let your hair adjust to it. Good luck! ;)

Thanks guys, unfortunatley all I could afford right now was Trader Joes shampoo and conditioner. $2.99 a pop! not bad!

I use Organix shampoo and conditioner--they have several different formulas with awesome scents. My favorite formulas are the cherry blossom ginseng and the cucumber yogurt.

Nutribiotic shampoos and conditioners. You can buy online and at The Vitamin Shoppe and other vitamin/health food stores.