Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IsaacAlencar

Accutane. 10 days of each month?

Today, I saw my dermatologist. I'll be taking Accutane every day for a month, then, I'll take it only the first 10 days of each month for 4 months.

Has anyone tried this? eusa_think.gif

She also mentioned that Oratane and Accutane are the same thing. So, I can say that I was taking those pills when I was 13-14 years old, and it helped A LOT. I still have acne now, but it's because I'm still a teenager or some B.S. like that, and because I didn't do it for the 5 months it is supposed to be. My acne was even worse when I was 12-13. I'm 17 now, 18 in January.

She laughed at my diet. She said it would have helped if I was fat (I'm a freaking skeleton), but, to be honest, it did help eusa_dance.gif .

I will be glad to share pictures with you, when I get better. I have pictures of when I was totally covered in acne (I'm better now, so much better, but I still have mid-moderate acne, AND horrible red scars).

If you had tred this 10-days-of-each-month thing, please share your stories smile.gif

Thanks.

Edit: I'm sorry I posted this twice. I got an error the first time, and I don't know how to delete the first one.

Edited by Toni Lavigne

Today, I saw my dermatologist. I'll be taking Accutane every day for a month, then, I'll take it only the first 10 days of each month for 4 months.

Has anyone tried this? eusa_think.gif

She also mentioned that Oratane and Accutane are the same thing. So, I can say that I was taking those pills when I was 13-14 years old, and it helped A LOT. I still have acne now, but it's because I'm still a teenager or some B.S. like that, and because I didn't do it for the 5 months it is supposed to be. My acne was even worse when I was 12-13. I'm 17 now, 18 in January.

She laughed at my diet. She said it would have helped if I was fat (I'm a freaking skeleton), but, to be honest, it did help eusa_dance.gif .

I will be glad to share pictures with you, when I get better. I have pictures of when I was totally covered in acne (I'm better now, so much better, but I still have mid-moderate acne, AND horrible red scars).

If you had tred this 10-days-of-each-month thing, please share your stories smile.gif

Thanks.

Edit: I'm sorry I posted this twice. I got an error the first time, and I don't know how to delete the first one.

Heya

All I know is that the dosage is based on your weight, ability to cope with side effects, and the severity of your acne.

If you have moderate acne at the moment, and this time round it will essentially be your second course of isotretinoin, then her plan sounds like it could be the right step forward. Full dose treatment is only supposed to be prescribed for those with severe acne. Also, isotretinoin (Oratane, Accutane etc) has very high risk of side effects (some can lead to long-term problems) so her low dose is probably on the good side of caution.

Good diet won't hurt- just be sure to take the med with a large meal (e.g. dinner) so that it absorbs well. Also, avoid foods high in Vitamin A, as notated in the conumer medication info sheet that comes with the treatment. Isotretinoin will be enough in itself (Retinol).

Best, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

I've done 10days a month, but it was every 3rd day, not the first 10 days. Interesting. Did you ask her why she opted for that weird schedule?

I've done 10days a month, but it was every 3rd day, not the first 10 days. Interesting. Did you ask her why she opted for that weird schedule?

She said something about an Australian dermatoligist who made this "schedule", because taking 10 mg the first 10 days of each month, helps your body to rest, but at the same time, to keep your acne controlled. Also, lowering the dose (I'm going to take 10 mg every day for 30 days first) will make easier to stop taking the pills if I get rid of acne this time... and I think I will :dance:

By the way, I also asked her if 10 mg were enough and she said yes.