Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

ibuprofen ointments?

Guest Timehealsall

i was wondering, but does anyone know of any ointments that is classified as ibuprofen? I read on this board that taking ibuprofen can reduce inflammation of pimples. Is advil an ibuprofen?

Normal Advil is ibuprofen, though variants often have added ingredients (like cold & sinus, or allergy relief).

You can get pain relieving creams/ointments containing ibuprofen for topical application in the UK and Europe. These formulations often have irritating menthol, which causes burning and irritation - not a great idea. If you can find one thats formulated gently enough for acneic skin, then it very well may work. But the risks of systemic absorption of ibuprofen are not well understood.

They are not approved for use in the US because they haven't been shown to be effective in penetrating the skin to the level of the target muscle/joint. Sale in the US is not legal, and the FDA recently cracked down on companies selling topical ibuprofen formulations online.

I made a DIY cream once using the contents of ibuprofen liquid gel capsules mixed with aloe vera gel. It worked somewhat as a spot treatment, but it was also quite irritating.. probably thanks to the fillers in the gel capsules. I wouldn't recommend it.

Niacinamide, turmeric, chamomile, and lichochalcone are all good anti-inflammatory, natural substitutes with a great safety profile.

Guest Timehealsall

thanks for the response man. Quite some intelligent people around these forums!

Not that I'm claiming ibuprofen gels can actually do anything, but it seems strange the FDA would crack down on something bought for the skin just because it's not penatrating into a joint. And there are plenty of such IB ointments with menthol on Amazon USA for sale that people here are buying frequently.

Edited by Reti

aspirin i believe is the same as ibuprofen....and the 99cent store carries a brand uncoated so if you just add a little water or something you can soften it and make it into a paste or cream depending on what you mix it with....i used it before on really sore pimples, i'm mostly clear now and i don't really get the painful ones anymore but it really helped when i did get them.

Guest Timehealsall
aspirin i believe is the same as ibuprofen....and the 99cent store carries a brand uncoated so if you just add a little water or something you can soften it and make it into a paste or cream depending on what you mix it with....i used it before on really sore pimples, i'm mostly clear now and i don't really get the painful ones anymore but it really helped when i did get them.

What helped more. Benzoyl peroxide, or the aspirin paste on these sore pimples?

What helped more. Benzoyl peroxide, or the aspirin paste on these sore pimples?

Aspirin is not the same as ibuprofen, although they are in the same group of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, NSAIDs).

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain...lammatory-drugs