Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katelo123

Special needs Accutane-OCD

Hello :)

I'm going to be starting Accutane in about a month and am slightly worried about the negative mental side effects. I have a mild case of OCD and do not take medication for the condition. I'm not a fan of taking medications unless completely necessary and I am perfectly happy in my life. Anyway, I am worried that Accutane could make my OCD worse or lead to other serious mental health issues. Has anyone else taken Accutane and had OCD? I would love to hear some feedback:)

I'm not sure about Accutane and OCD as far as the mental side effects go, however does your OCD involve things like skin picking or over-treating your skin? Because on Accutane that could be very detrimental to your skin and potentially lead to scarring, so that is definitely something to look out for. Does your doctor know about your OCD?

I've got OCD, medium not severe. I have "rituals" I do before bed or else I can't sleep, have to wash my hands after I touch anything and tend to move things alot. Anyways, i'm on accutane right now and it hasn't affected my OCD one bit. I talked to my doc about it before hand tho, I advise you to do the same.

Edited by craigeroo

hmmm. Yes, I did tell my doctor. She didn't seem to think it would be a problem but I have read one study that suggests otherwise. Mostly I am not able to find much information on the topic which is why I was posting on here. Keep the comments coming I would love to hear feedback of ANY kind.

I've got OCD, medium not severe. I have "rituals" I do before bed or else I can't sleep, have to wash my hands after I touch anything and tend to move things alot. Anyways, i'm on accutane right now and it hasn't affected my OCD one bit. I talked to my doc about it before hand tho, I advise you to do the same.

How long have you been on accutane? Is it a high or low dose? I've heard low doses .5mg/kg are quite effective with minimal side effects. Maybe I will go for that.

Moved to the Accutane posts forum. Please read the forum descriptions and headings before posting.

Two identical topics merged. One is sufficient, please. You were already getting replies on your first topic.

Two identical topics merged. One is sufficient, please. You were already getting replies on your first topic.

oops. I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize we couldn't post a question in more than one place. I'm new to this message board.

How long have you been on accutane? Is it a high or low dose? I've heard low doses .5mg/kg are quite effective with minimal side effects. Maybe I will go for that.

Sure, I'm 2/3rds done with my 4th month. Started out at 40 mgs for the first month and have been on 80 mgs since the 2nd month and plan to stay at 80 mgs for the remainder of my course. The only side effects i've experienced: bloody nose (rare), severly dry lips, joint pain (resolved with new speed and agility program), mild bouts of depression and increased appetite. Everybodies different tho.