Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Del!

so just how dry does your skin get?

hi guys, I have read sooo many logs and have had mixed info about skin dryness.

Some people are literally peeling the skin off ther face in clumps and others are not.

Im worried about this as I feel insecure without makeup on and if my skin is going to peel off then make up isnt going to work. Obviously moisturising is key but has anyone got any thoughts on this? Ive got jojoba oil and emu oil ready and cetaphil. Im starting at 40mg so not even going in gently with 20! Im Scared about my face peeling off!

thanks!

all depends on the person. whats ur skin type? do u already have dry skin? i had VERY oily skin going into accutane. so ya it got dry, but it was manageable. defiantly. i mean ya u gotta be a little more careful about makeup. make sure u moisturize really well before and i would highly suggest some kind of primer to make it go on smoothly.

i mean it could happen...alot of times i think it happens with people who don't use their moisturizer enough. alot of times that will happen with certain guys, cuz maybe they think its girly to moisturize. one of my guy friends when on tane and was pretty dry and i think thats why. he would never put on his chapstick either.

i wouldn't get too worried about it. just be very responsible with washing and moisturizing! and being GENTLE with ur face. oh and i found that drinking lots of water really helps with the dry skin

all depends on the person. whats ur skin type? do u already have dry skin? i had VERY oily skin going into accutane. so ya it got dry, but it was manageable. defiantly. i mean ya u gotta be a little more careful about makeup. make sure u moisturize really well before and i would highly suggest some kind of primer to make it go on smoothly.

i mean it could happen...alot of times i think it happens with people who don't use their moisturizer enough. alot of times that will happen with certain guys, cuz maybe they think its girly to moisturize. one of my guy friends when on tane and was pretty dry and i think thats why. he would never put on his chapstick either.

i wouldn't get too worried about it. just be very responsible with washing and moisturizing! and being GENTLE with ur face. oh and i found that drinking lots of water really helps with the dry skin

Thanks for the reply. What moisturiser do u use? A lot of people say to moisturise when ur skin is still damp.

I've always moisturised my body once a day face twice, so I'm in a routine with that. Some of the logs I read, the person was on day 10 and was like......getting pretty dry, think I should start to moisturise!

Do u find ur skin overly dry, like peeling off? My head and nose are oily not over the top just a bit.

Edited by DEL XX

ya see the key is to prep urself for ur couse. which is basically what ur doing. moisturize ahead of time. twice a day and ur body (i was bad about my body, i hate moisturizing it, so my body got the driest) and start to drink 2 bottles of water or more a day. that really helps. on my course i used CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. which is really the best mositurizer out there. cetaphil wasn't enough for me. i used CeraVe actually multiple times a day if i had to... my skin never peeled... i mean it gets flaky. but my skin get flaky now and im on spiro/differin. i think ull be fine. if its flaking off, its not painful or anything.. and at the beginning is when i flaked the most, cuz i know it sounds gross, but the black heads on my chin and nose flaked off.... then once that was done, i didn't flake too much. i highly recommend CeraVe for ur course. its a really good mositurizer. its a little much for me now. i only use it before i apply my makeup. but its worth buying

Kell I am the same my body is defo more flaky than my face! However that is entirely my own fault as I am much lazier at moisturing my body than I am my face! I am using E45 shower emollient gel which helps a lot but I really ought to be stricter with moisturising my arms as they do get quite itchy.

I find that jojoba oil is a godsend for the flakes and really dry areas. I did try applying it to my dry hair but it made it look MEGA greasy lol so I'll stick to using it for my face only!

The only flakiness I had was on my scalp and lips if I happened to lose my Aquaphor for a moment. :) My face and body never got overly dry. That's probably in part because my face was so dang oily to begin with, but it's also because I was diligent about moisturizing, even long before Accutane.

My skin is naturally dry (everywhere but my face), so moisturizing my entire body every morning and immediately after showering has always been part of my normal routine. All I had to do was step it up to a more heavy-duty lotion (Cetaphil moisturizing creme and later Eucerin calming creme), which I did right when I started Accutane.

For my face, I started using a gentler cleanser right away (Cetaphil-- first the normal one, but I switched to the gentle one within about a week) and Cetaphil moisturizer. At first, the Cetaphil moisturizer made my face greasy, so I used it off and on with my previous moisturizer that wasn't as strong, but once the natural oiliness dried up, it was perfect. It kept it looking and feeling normal-dry, not flaky-dry.

thanks everyone for your responses. I need to look for this cerave, I havent seen it in the UK but shall look online.

Ive bought aquaphor, blistex, carmex, vaseline and a hemp lip balm (designed for skiing - from body shop) so im stocked up well!!

have bought e45 shampoo and body wash as well as the lotion its just the face moisturiser that I need to sort if cetaphil isnt going to be enough.

Anyone tried Aveeno (SP) ??? have seen it advertised and im sure its been mentioned on here!

i tried aveeno while on tane and it burned.... it has a weird fragrence too

aquaphor is great for lips!

glad you said that coz it is expensive and there are too many to chose from. exactly which cerave product did you use?

ive bought so many lip products so I can keep one in my car, in my bag, by my bed etc.....im so organised its quite sad! i have no life so all i can think about is lip balms......i hate acne!

CeraVe moisturizing lotion is the best moisturizer I have EVER used! I'm on day 34 and I'm not even the least bit dry on my face, and I had normal/non-oily skin to start with! Recently I've been mixing a few drops of emu oil in in the morning and at night. It keeps the redness at bay and helps heal existing marks. If you can get some in the UK I'd definitely recommend it!

For lips use Carmex. It lasts ages. I didn't use anything different for my hair. It got drier but not super dry. Use a sensitive moisturiser if you can with at least spf15 in it. Hope it goes well. Any questions about my experience just PM me.

I went from super oily to kind of dry, this also coincided with new wrinkles. I look 50 now.

Are u like anti accutane? If u had a bad experience then I'm sorry I really am, but don't u think people are scared enough without comments like that? I realise iyour just sharing ur experience but every post of urs I read, its as if ur trying to put people off and scare them!

I've got emu oil and jojoba oil. I just need to get ceraVe then! Is it safe to use on ur face? I mean does it clog pores?

The only other thing I need then is eyedrops but I really doubt I'll be able to use them.

Eyes freak me out. Don't wear contacts and I can't even watch someone putting them in! Any suggestions?!

EDIT - the ceraVe is a no no as it is gonna cost me £20 (about $30) to get it and to be honest Im paying that much per week for my pills so I cannot afford it. Cetaphil better work!

Edited by DEL XX