Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

Beans are the best staple food

we could eat rice, or any other grain, rye wheat oats barley, i think thats all of the major ones.

rice has little to no protein, little to no fiber and little to no potassium, but some minerals and vitamins, of course depending on type of rice, but generally this describes the properties of rice.

rye barley oats wheat,all have decent amount of protein and fiber and minerals, but still not alot of potassium.

beans have tons of potassium, a little more fiber, more protein and more often the not contain more minerals then the other grains.

The potassium is really where beans win.

So therefore, beans seem to be the best staple food, its a very complete food in my opinion.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I'm not really sure why you're comparing beans to grains?

The problem with beans are that they are poisonous raw (sprouted beans, green beans and peas aside) and if undercooked, they still contain lots of lectins that can cause acne and other issues. Beans actually break me out, so I don't typically eat them.

I still wouldn't agree it's the best staple food. Meat and veggies should be the primary staples of anyone's diet. I don't think beans are bad, necessarily - just that it's going to vary from person to person on how we react to them.

A staple of your diet may be poison to mine.

The problem with beans are that they are poisonous raw (sprouted beans, green beans and peas aside) and if undercooked, they still contain lots of lectins that can cause acne and other issues. Beans actually break me out, so I don't typically eat them.

I still wouldn't agree it's the best staple food. Meat and veggies should be the primary staples of anyone's diet. I don't think beans are bad, necessarily - just that it's going to vary from person to person on how we react to them.

Agreed!

To the thread starter: Beans are very good for you though, but they're not the best.

Edited by EddieE

First veggies and some fruit then meat raw milk eggs butter etc. then nuts legumes.

I think thats how it supposed to be.

Btw a little bit of an off topic question. Where do cows and other animals we eat get their protein from? And why cant we by eating plants (they eat).

Beans are a healthy food and much maligned on this board by the meat and vegetable/caveman crowd.

thanks for the reply.

how do you reason lectins "cause" acne. nobody knows what causes acne, how are you suddenly so enlightened??

also, meat has no fiber, fiber is fermented by intestinal bacteria to create short chain fatty acids, acetic, propionic and butyric acid. these acids are utilized by the pancreas, liver, small intestinal motility(pushing and pulling) butyric acid production protects colon cells from carcinogens protecting from colon cancer which is the one of the top causes of death in the united states. http://healthmad.com/conditions-and-diseas...killer-cancers/

Meat actually causes dna damage to colon cells red meat causing the greatest damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15956652

extra http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18043233

i buy organically grown beans and from two cans it contains 60% of my calcium requirements, ive just about replaced my need for milk or even calcium supplments.

Organically grown food contains an average 25% more minerals and vitamins then commercially grown.

There is no way beans are bad for you with so much science suggesting otherwise, in my eyes it is irrefutable. To call beans poison, is to display a vast ignorance on the subject of nutritional science, but in no way im trying to insult you, you are participating in my discussion, i really appreciate it.

First veggies and some fruit then meat raw milk eggs butter etc. then nuts legumes.

I think thats how it supposed to be.

Btw a little bit of an off topic question. Where do cows and other animals we eat get their protein from? And why cant we by eating plants (they eat).

we can definitly get our protein from plants no question. beans and nuts can cover all protein needs, throw in some grains and you have got more protein then you will need in a day.

50-60 grams a day for the average 150 lb adult, depending on physical activity.

cows have such different digestive systems its just incomparable to humans, we are just too different, woudl you really want to eat grass though??ha.

Woah guys he was only saying how beans are a great food to eat and I agree they are nutritious, filling and natural, they contain no gluten so a good source of carbs as well as excellent protein, he wasnt talking about eating them raw or saying only eat them and nothing else, but we should add them to our diet because most humans dont eat enough healthy foods like this. Everyone should eat natural foods and replace processed foods so this is a good addition, not to mention the zinc content in most beans which is excellent in fighting acne :)

I am still on the fritz with beans... not because I think they are "bad" for you, but I do suspect them as acne-causing for me. The lectin issue is pretty big for me. A mostly lectin-free diet (no gluten grains, minimal other grains, minimal dairy, no legumes, no potatoes) has given me great results with regards to my skin and my health.

There are some other unresolved issues with legumes & phytoestrogens that I am still educating myself on... which could have some implications in acne.

how do you reason lectins "cause" acne. nobody knows what causes acne, how are you suddenly so enlightened??
Edited by Drizzler

I am still on the fritz with beans... not because I think they are "bad" for you, but I do suspect them as acne-causing for me. The lectin issue is pretty big for me. A mostly lectin-free diet (no gluten grains, minimal other grains, minimal dairy, no legumes, no potatoes) has given me great results with regards to my skin and my health.

There are some other unresolved issues with legumes & phytoestrogens that I am still educating myself on... which could have some implications in acne.

Whether or not lectins "cause" acne, we definitely know many plant lectins are not just unhealthy but downright poisonous, deadly even. The lectins in castor beans will kill you. Lectins in kidney beans (not cooked right) are pretty toxic. Raw soybeans and others are questionable too. And even though proper preparation/cooking supposedly destroys the lectins, rendering them harmless, I just don't see how this can be an optimal food source or be necessary in a food-abundant environment. I can get all the protein, vitamins, minerals etc I need from vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Calorie for calorie, a "paleo" type diet is the must nutritious.

also, meat has no fiber, fiber is fermented by intestinal bacteria to create short chain fatty acids, acetic, propionic and butyric acid. these acids are utilized by the pancreas, liver, small intestinal motility(pushing and pulling) butyric acid production protects colon cells from carcinogens protecting from colon cancer which is the one of the top causes of death in the united states.

There is no way beans are bad for you with so much science suggesting otherwise, in my eyes it is irrefutable. To call beans poison, is to display a vast ignorance on the subject of nutritional science, but in no way im trying to insult you, you are participating in my discussion, i really appreciate it.

Of course fiber is essential/important, nobody is arguing that. But to make that an argument for bean consumption, when you can just as easily get fiber from fruits, vegetables, nuts, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Go munch on a few raw kidney beans and when you are crippled over clenching your stomach begging for the sweet release of death, tell me beans aren't poisonous.

You always intrigue me AutonomousOne. Good discussion.

thanks for the reply.

so mexican americans, a population that eats the most beans, which also have lower incidences of colon cancer, i suppose should be dieing left and right from lectins, and have a obviously disproportionate rate of acne since acne is due to lectins??. That really doesnt seem to be the case. But then again you said eating beans raw will cause death, well, nobody eats beans raw, and neither do we eat grains raw, and typically vegetables are cooked as well. Fruits are about the main food that can be consumed raw.

i am also aware there is fiber as well as potassium in fruits, but it is lacking in protein in comparison to beans, so i dont really think it could be considered a staple food. when i say staple food i suppose i mean a main part of a diet, like the main course eaten every day as a reliable source of life giving nutrients and sustainance. Im not sure if that is what is traditonally meant by the word staple but thats what i mean.

dont really have much to prove here, just trying to help people put together a heathy diet, i want to make a good contribution and inform people. I dont own a bean farm,nor am i making a living selling beans hahaha. there is no alterior motive here, i simply have a couple of good reasons that we should eat beans more often, and have better health because of it. Not trying to talk people into a bad business deal here, haha!

but here is an article on lectins that i found interesting, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78478.php apparently the concern is uncooked beans, as cooking destroys lectins. But supposedly lectins are found in grains as well as legumes so ill look more into this, but for now im pretty skeptical about the claimed horrors of eating beans, but you wont see me eating undercooked or raw beans that for sure.

At this point is just seems futile to say anything that goes against the insane paleo/WAPF cult that dominates this forum.

I love beans, they're especially high in minerals, I just hate the accompanying gas. I've tried a bunch of tricks I found on the internet and none of them made any difference.

Hey do canned beans count as "soaked". I've never had problems with canned beans.

Hey do canned beans count as "soaked". I've never had problems with canned beans.

That's what I buy. it's cheaper to buy them dry and cook it, but it's only 1.09 each for Organic canned beans.

How about quinoa as a staple food? Muchos protein and low GI, plus its gluten free...

Ive started eating it as my staple food instead of brown rice and so far so good

but here is an article on lectins that i found interesting, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78478.php apparently the concern is uncooked beans, as cooking destroys lectins. But supposedly lectins are found in grains as well as legumes so ill look more into this, but for now im pretty skeptical about the claimed horrors of eating beans, but you wont see me eating undercooked or raw beans that for sure.

Lectins are in all foods, but especially seeds and products from animals fed seeds which means all our factory farmed meat and dairy. And some lectins are more harmful than others. They can be reduced/destroyed by cooking, soaking/sprouting or fermenting. In addition, certain glyconutrients bind them up. Glyconutrients and cooking methods found in millenia-old dishes and food combinations.

The ZAG enzyme thread has info about all this.

What about beans on toast? I have been avoiding that because i hear bread and chesse isn't good.

so mexican americans, a population that eats the most beans, which also have lower incidences of colon cancer, i suppose should be dieing left and right from lectins, and have a obviously disproportionate rate of acne since acne is due to lectins??. That really doesnt seem to be the case. But then again you said eating beans raw will cause death, well, nobody eats beans raw, and neither do we eat grains raw, and typically vegetables are cooked as well. Fruits are about the main food that can be consumed raw.

Well, yeah... that's exactly why I am on the fritz about them. Because I am quite aware of how widespread and long-standing their consumption is, and of course all the purported health benefits.

Not to mention just about every "blue zone" (societies with the longest life expectancies) consume leguminous foods in one way or another.

But to me they still seem to be a food eaten out of necessity, i.e. in a non-food-abundant environment. Any food that I have to take certain precautions, and go out of my way to manipulate just to prevent poisoning myself, when I could just as easily grill up a little steak and a bunch of veggies... I just don't know. Well this is my "evolutionary nutrition" perspective... then again there is the culinary perspective as well, if you love beans, eat 'em!

To be fair, the dangers of eating raw meat for our species are extensively documented. Having to soak or cook beans to make them safe to eat is just the same as altering animal flesh via heat to bypass "sensory barriers". I'm curious as to why you'd want to avoid beans because they have to be cooked or soaked, but instead opt to cook flesh.

To be fair, the dangers of eating raw meat for our species are extensively documented. Having to soak or cook beans to make them safe to eat is just the same as altering animal flesh via heat to bypass "sensory barriers". I'm curious as to why you'd want to avoid beans because they have to be cooked or soaked, but instead opt to cook flesh.

interesting question, but of course its not directed towards me because im Pro-bean consumption, yet anti-meat. But this "sensory barrier" you refer to is interesting, there is no sensory barrier to fruit, its instantaneously and intuitively appetizing and consumable. but more interesting is that meat has the tendancy to become very appealing to the sense after being cooked, it can be really tasty many times with just adding salt. so these foods which seem to be beyond a sensory barrier, arent entirely so, but require some work to become appetizing. This "work/enhancement" is perhaps some supporting premise of its possible imperfections. But I do believe we are omnivores, yet i still believe meat to be an out of necessity type of food, And fruit to be the optimal. Meatis the "survive through winter" type of choice, where we could slaughter a bear or two, and the meat could easily be preserved in the cold weather for weeks until the next kill, yet as we should naturally gravitate toward a warmer climate, fruit would be abundant, as would year round plant life, winters would be less, and meat would become a choice and not a necessity.

fruit is inarguably, meant for human consumption, no objective science or thought required.

Um, ever hear of steak tartare? Or ceviche? Or SUSHI??? In the TV show Bizarre Foods, the episode in Ethiopia, people eat raw camel kidney!!

"the dangers of eating raw meat for our species are extensively documented."

Oooh! Extensively documented eh? Some fancy language there haha... Surely you are talking about salmonella, e. coli etc, correct? Eating the horrible meat that comes off of our factory farms? If you weren't eating a sick animal, you could do just fine eating raw meat, perhaps be even better off. My point was that you absolutely HAVE TO prepare/cook beans correctly to make them not poisonous. I was then attempting to place it to a bio-evolutionary context, of whether, given an option, our species would even choose to eat beans when other food was available (before agriculture). Morals and religious reasonings aside...

Um, ever hear of steak tartare? Or ceviche? Or SUSHI??? In the TV show Bizarre Foods, the episode in Ethiopia, people eat raw camel kidney!!

Oooh! Extensively documented eh? Some fancy language there haha... Surely you are talking about salmonella, e. coli etc, correct? Eating the horrible meat that comes off of our factory farms? If you weren't eating a sick animal, you could do just fine eating raw meat, perhaps be even better off. My point was that you absolutely HAVE TO prepare/cook beans correctly to make them not poisonous. I was then attempting to place it to a bio-evolutionary context, of whether, given an option, our species would even choose to eat beans when other food was available (before agriculture). Morals and religious reasonings aside...

the problem i suppose is just leaving meat out for the bacteria to start eating it before you do. freshly killed is probably ok as long as you can chew the meat. its not even the meatthats so bad, its the bacteria really, right?

Truuuue. And if you look back at the (real) Eskimos, their name means 'eaters of raw meat' and meat was almost all they ate. They were also a very healthy people.

And look at this AutonomousOne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vendiagram.gif it's a similarity chart of three different Blue Zones.

Truuuue. And if you look back at the (real) Eskimos, their name means 'eaters of raw meat' and meat was almost all they ate. They were also a very healthy people.

And look at this AutonomousOne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vendiagram.gif it's a similarity chart of three different Blue Zones.

verry nice, and beans or legumes( alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soy, and peanuts) are right in the center.

I suppose im not doing too bad on this bean thing then hey?? makes me feel good to be somewhat right,when its so hard to ever be in the ballpark.

What about beans on toast? I have been avoiding that because i hear bread and chesse isn't good.

The canned sugar-filled 'baked' beans you use aren't good either. Beans on toast is the most revolting thing I was ever given to eat while in England, btw.

Soak and cook beans yourself. Cook with lots of antioxident filled garlic, onions and spices like tumeric, curry blends or cayenne, and a little salt. And throw in greens like spinach or collard greens when the beans are cooked. Beans are limited in methionine although by how much varies. Lentils and the kidney family are pretty near complete. Regardless, the greens are high in methionine.

Edited by alternativista

At this point is just seems futile to say anything that goes against the insane paleo/WAPF cult that dominates this forum.

Oh, but it's much better now than a few years ago. The people I thought of as the 'meat glutons' are no longer around. I'm sure you remember them. I wouldn't classify the current paleo followers as insane.

But to me they still seem to be a food eaten out of necessity, i.e. in a non-food-abundant environment. Any food that I have to take certain precautions, and go out of my way to manipulate just to prevent poisoning myself, when I could just as easily grill up a little steak and a bunch of veggies... I just don't know.

But it's an artificial food abundant environment that isn't going to last. It involves raising animals packed together in filthy environments and feeding them subsidized food that they were never meant to eat resulting in sickly animals that are then butchered in unsanitary methods. Add to that our growing populations and the increasing wealth in places like China and India resulting in huge populations that want to be glutons like Americans have been.

And you are manipulating the meat as well when you cook it to prevent poisoning yourself too.

And I guess I have to say it again. There are lectins in all foods, but especially seeds and products from seed fed animals. Which is how most of the livestock are raised for consumption in the United States. Even at Whole Foods, the best chicken I can get is from 'barn roaming' chickens. Not pastured. And no mention of feeding them insects and greens. And no guarantee that those chickens are even physically capable of doing any actual roaming. And I have to pay extra for that. Same with the farmers market vendors I've looked at. I get eggs from one once in a while, and they have pictures showing them kept in a covered pen, not outside. Although they seem to be healthy enough to roam.

Also, by eating my delicious, nutrient dense, dirt cheap bean dishes for many meals, I save money which I can spend on other organic foods and pastured animals which are expensive.

Edited by alternativista