Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jpz109

A question for you guys with adult acne

So you guys according to the board description are 25 & up...

Do you guys still have acne as severe as you did when you were going through puberty or did it get better? Why is it that your acne has persisted all of these years?

Edited by jpz109

So you guys according to the board description are 25 & up...

Do you guys still have acne as severe as you did when you were going through puberty or did it get better? Why is it that your acne has persisted all of these years?

I didn't actually have acne as such as a teenager, I had the odd few spots but mild. It was when I hit 20 I got pretty moderate to severe acne and it has gone on for 10 years as I am now 30.

I do have a longterm illness and have hormone problems so I am guessing this is the cause of my acne.

In my case I think is the hormonal problem too that makes my immune system to have difficulties in dealing with acnes bacteria and the oily skin. But now i can control it with MY regimen but if you research, using essentials oils, a little bit of BP on strongholds but most important, using moisturizer with fatty acids and some antioxidants help your body in some way to regain stability. This helps to reduce the effects of stress too. If you think, when you see people born in 1940 or the 50's, most of them that suffered acne, practically healed by themselves (in average).

I think a good way to try to find a solution to acne would be to make a blood test, every day on subjects, and to measure levels of free radicals, immune system cells, fatty acids and other stuff. Anyway ...

I had acne for a few years when I was in high school. When I look at my senior pictures, my face is completely clear. Fast forward to the age of 25, I started getting acne. Now I'm 28 and although I don't have it all over my face, my face is still damn sensitive to many foods and I get those red pimples that takes forever to go away.

started mild at 14 then went to severe at 17, got on accutane and was clear. At 20 started getting mild again and at 23 got severe again. Went on accutane a second time and cleared it up.

JPZ how old are you? I get the feeling you may be young and wondering if you will still have acne when you get up there in age. Everyones acne is different, although acne can be a topical problem acne is mostly a internal issue that needs to be addressed. Sometimes it can be a food allergy that you are unaware of, it can be candida overgrowth due to a diet high in refined carbs, fast food, antibiotic use and stress. My face was pretty bad when I was 15-28 and now it has cleared to being normal with occasional breakouts. I have researched a lot and found out several things including the very products you apply to your skin can keep you breaking out and you may never know as you keep using them. It wasn't until I threw away all my "Namebrand Skincare" and worked on my diet that my acne cleared. The biggest are go natural whenever possible, less can really be more with acne, natural cleansers, etc. Try not to eat trans fats, fast foods, processed foods, take probiotics, do cod liver oil etc.....

I'm 28 and only started getting severe acne at 20. I had the occasional mild acne spots in high school and the first few years of college, but all of a sudden I just started getting severe facial and body cystic acne.

I'm pretty sure I have an allergic reaction to sulfur as it really reddens my skin and causes even worse breakouts, which limits me to using BP products. I have never tried Accutane as I have always been wary of the side effects (history of diabetes, mental illness, and heart disease in the family, oh joy), but at this point I'm considering it even with the risks as the time between breakouts seems to now only be a few days, where in the past I could have several weeks/months of clear skin.

In answer to your question, my acne has gotten progressively worse as I have aged. One of the things that really sucks now is not having a job with good health insurance (25 and under, you can use parents insurance) which means Accutane treatments will cost me a fair amount of money, guess I'll have to downgrade to a studio apartment.

Can't remember when it started maybe 12 13 or 14

it's got better (i have learned how to better deal with it and treat it)

But every now and again it comes back and and f*cks me.

Tomco, what is your diet like? Why do you think you are allergic to sulfur? I ask because sulfur is actually a well known homeopathic remedy for rosacea taken internally and it is used quite frequently externally as it is very effective against acne without being harmful to the skin. I would think it may possibly be something else in the mix. Accutane would really worsen your situation as it kills the good bacteria in your gut leaving you open to candida overgrowth which can make acne worse or you may find you need to do several rounds of antibiotics. Antibiotics do not cure acne. Acne is a internal issue that is surfacing and can be linked to poor diet, stress, candida etc.. I would suggest looking into starting with a colon cleanse (they are available at health food stores), also buy some probiotics and start there (also at health food store, it raises good bacteria). You can test for candida by spitting in a clear glass of water if your spit starts to sink toward the bottom while looking kinda stringing, you have candida and need to do the candida diet. When you address these situations your body will get back into balance and you should feel great health wise too.

I had teenage spots at 14 but the proper nasty acne started at 17 & has not gone away since. I dont think its any better or worse, but perhaps it seems less worse because I have become accustomed to it over the years. It has been less worse sometimes but what seems to happen is roaccutane clears it up lovely by the end of the course, then about 3mth later very slowly start getting spots again, & it gradually gets worse & worse until its really awful & then I have to go back to the doctors to get refered to derm for roaccutane again. I have done this 4 times & the acne always recurs. I skin seems to get very upset by topical lotions, but even using dermalogica - didnt irritate my skin which was good, but didnt stop me getting new spots either.

It is now getting so bad again, but I am on antidepressants so it might not be a good idea to ask for more roaccutane. I might just by a balaclava

although acne can be a topical problem acne is mostly a internal issue that needs to be addressed. Sometimes it can be a food allergy that you are unaware of, it can be candida overgrowth due to a diet high in refined carbs, fast food, antibiotic use and stress. My face was pretty bad when I was 15-28 and now it has cleared to being normal with occasional breakouts. I have researched a lot and found out several things including the very products you apply to your skin can keep you breaking out and you may never know as you keep using them. It wasn't until I threw away all my "Namebrand Skincare" and worked on my diet that my acne cleared. The biggest are go natural whenever possible, less can really be more with acne, natural cleansers, etc. Try not to eat trans fats, fast foods, processed foods, take probiotics, do cod liver oil etc.....

I am trying this approach at the minute as I am at my wits end. I came off my contraception 2 weeks ago & have stopped using acne products on my face & am trying to eat more alkaline foods (although not completely jst introducing it gradually such as eating raw spinach as raw food has more nutrients in it and spinach is very alkanine, & houmous.

Anyway I have always seen myself as very healthy but i do like alot of foods like milk, cheese & eggs & bread which are apparently acidic. & tea/coffee, I am still having these but trying to gradually reduce them to see if it has any benefit.

As for contraception I just figured its another drug doing into my body so I want to know if this is triggering the cause by coming off & going natural.

I am even putting piss on my face (since monday) to see if this helps.

Now I know that long term acne isnt going to clear itself up in a week or two, so its going to be a case of sticking with it & see what happens over 2-6 months. But I think you are right in that perhaps topical lotions used as a short term solution can actually worsen our skin after all how good can it be for you to put dodgey substances like benzoyl peroxide on your face!!! dodgey! and even that is only going to relieve the symptoms if anything. Not clear the underlying cause, which could be hormones, toxins, stress, lack of sleep, or whatever.

my acne started freshman year of college and it still persists today. i am now 47 and have been on 3 rounds of accutane, antibiotics, topicals etc. i now approach it holistically because even the prescriptions weren't working for me after a while. everday now i take lots of B5, EPO, acne scrub with green tea, BP wash and tazorac. when a cyst starts erupting, i ice it off and on as much as i can, apply my topicals, increase my B5 and EPO and at night, apply antibiotic cream (neosporin) to a bandaid and apply it overnight. my face looks so much better but this is a DAILY routine for me, not a day goes by where i am not catering to my face. this has been almost a 30 yr battle for me.