Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Just wondering...

I've had my red marks for about a year and a half to 2 years, they are pinkish/brownish/purplish when normal, but if I shave or wash my face they become redder to a dark purple/red color...

My questions are:

1) Is this only because of blood vessels underneath or is there another possible cause?

2) Does this ever stop with time/have any of you ever beaten it by waiting?

Any comments would be great,

thanks alot

Posted

To quote frogskinshoelace...

"Someone answer my fucking question."

Posted

Hi Jamesy! I'm actually suffering from something quite similar...

i used to pick my acne maybe a little too much when i was younger. I'm now 19 and left with these marks that are actually pretty faint during certain times of the day, like when i wake up in the morning or when i'm just relaxing..BUT..whenever i transition from a/c to crazy humidity, my face turns BRIGHT red, and all the old little scars come out (rosacea??). Sometimes i even have random flare ups, like after i eat??? And the bright red marks show up. I have no idea if these marks will eventually go away. i went to a wack derm who was not helpful in explaining this situation to me at all...But i'm pretty sure it's some kind of blood vessel thing. I'm sorry I didn't really answer your question, but we're in the same boat. Maybe someday we'll wake up and they will be gone forever....don't give up hope and stay positive!!!

molly

Posted

Ya I figure it's something with blood vessels... but it kind of doesn't make sense b/c red marks (pih) are caused by melanin in the skin... anyways i'll ask my term in about a month and let you know... thanks

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted
To quote frogskinshoelace...

"Someone answer my fucking question."

:cool:

Posted

PIH is caused by melanin, postinflammatory erythemea is the redness you see which is caused by blood vessels. People here get it confused often

Posted

Hey Jamesy,

First of all, I think you should really, really relax about your red marks. If you had beauty marks before, then what's the difference if you still have spots there? I know that's probably an ignorant thing to say, but DON'T STRESS and live your life!!! Maybe that comment will help put htings in perspective. I know red marks are a real mind fuck, but really, work on your attitude because that is something you CAN actively change. Also... AHA?

That said: I think red marks "flare up" because when you wash your face or shave you're touching your skin, and when you do this blood comes to the surface. It's not blood vessels, it's melanin.

But! It's ok if blood goes to the surface because that way the blood can deliver nutrients to the faster and help it heal better. I'm not saying to rub your face all the time and shit, but exercise and saunas could be good. I stick by both of them (but mostly saunas because I'm lazy as hell).

Hope any of that helped!

Posted

Hey, it kind of helped. The reason I stress is b/c I hated where the beauty marks were on my face but atleast then they were brown now they are red which is even more odd sometimes and shit and it's like a stain I can't get rid of... but yes I'll try to keep it in perspective. I get very frustrated though.

Posted

Its the lighting.

My skin looks better in my bathroom/sitting room mirror on a cloudy day, which makes my marks look less severe.

But whenever the suns out, it shows the colours up more.

Thank god I have no mirrors near a window... :ninja:

If the marks are bothering you that much, just use some light cover up.

Posted

Lol no it isn't the lighting... I agree lighting makes them look better/worse... how ever after I shave I can literally stand and face myself in the mirror in the same spot and watch them turn darker and darker...or brighter actually red

Posted
Lol no it isn't the lighting... I agree lighting makes them look better/worse... how ever after I shave I can literally stand and face myself in the mirror in the same spot and watch them turn darker and darker...or brighter actually red

Its just irritation thats causing that to happen.

I had the same problem, then I switched to an electric razor and havent had any problems with shaving since.