Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, I just discovered this website last week and I've been roaming around reading a lot.

To start off, I'm a 17 year old male. I would consider my acne to be mild-moderate because there are small bumps on both cheeks and forehead, and around 10 larger, more easily visible "large pimples" (which aren't whiteheads though).

I decided to seriously start treating my acne this summer and I've been using Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser and then applying 10% BP as spot treatment (morning and night) for the past 3 weeks.

I don't get major breakouts, but a few pimples do get bigger sometimes especially on the forehead and right under the nose area every few days.

My skin doesn't easily get irritated by BP; it doesn't tingle or burn. My skin isn't too dry so I don't think I need moisturizer after applying BP.

Some questions I have are:

Should I get a lighter cleanser (my current one is marked as "Deep cleaning: for normal to oily skin")?

Should I bother buying AHA cream to apply after BP?

Should I be applying BP to my whole face or only on large acne spots? Maybe I should switch to a lower % of BP such as Dan's 2.5?

How can I treat the smaller bumps on my face (are these blackheads?--they don't look black)

After 3 weeks I don't see too much of an improvement. Pimples keep popping up every few days.

Any comments, tips for treatment/products would be greatly appreciated.

First off, you are still going through puberty whether you realize it or not. So in essence, acne will continue to form BUT by treating it you can really sustain the effects that are visible.

#1 confliction: Although you say the BP doens't irritate you and you feel you don't need moisturizer, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get a moisturizer with spf 30 or above. BP makes your skin very susceptible to the sun and can end up really screwing up your face more (making it redder, skin conditions, leading to more acne, etc.). You can get one like Neutrogenas Daily Moisturizors or Aveeno or Cetaphil.

#2: i only use Cetaphil Cleansers (either or the ones available) and find them to be my favorite. Foremost because they are practically as good as water with added benefits when washing. Purpose cleansers are just as well. I highly recommend maybe trying one of these out for a month or two and see how they work.

#3: I concur that the BP should be used all over your face. Spot treatment in my mind is not worth it, if you are going to treat your face properly, do your whole face (could be also the reasoning behind not having a large amount of dryness or irritation).

--> A 2.5% BP treatment is JUST AS EFFECTIVE as a 10% treatment medication. I recommend you make the change to a 2.5% BP concentration treatment to make the effects less irritating to you.

All other questions i really have no input on. This is my 2 cents tho

What you put on your skin can either help it or harm it - and your entire body - depending on what's in the product.

Therefore, it's important to consider the ingredients in ALL the products you use - like those on your hair and body as well as your face. 

The best treatments for any age or type skin are gentle ones that are effective.

Chemicals are not gentle or effective. In fact, research is showing that a buildup of chemicals on the skin can cause acne, dryness (which leads to prematurely aging skin) and skin cancer.

The best products are those with the highest-quality ingredients, not the highest price.

With so many manufacturers using chemicals in their products, almost any product - cleansers, moisturizers, shampoos, shaving creams, conditioners, hair gels, sunscreens and makeup - can be causing breakouts on your face and body.

Here's a page that shows what to look for in organic products as well as ingredients to avoid in skin and hair care products.

To find chemical-free products, read labels and research ingredients - or start with certified organic ingredients which don't contain harmful chemicals.

Mayo

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *