Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jabba225

What is this, and how to treat it?

It appeared to either bethe beginning of a fever blister or a pimple on the side of my lip at the vey crack of my mouth. I put the proper medication on it, and after a few days it seemed to go away. However I then started to feel a swelling on the skin right below the lip leading up to where the original blister or whatever was. It felt like the beginning of a large pimple or cys, but instead formed to what looks to be two or three giant blisters about a quarter inside that were leaking clear fluid by the end of the first day. I say blisters because it never formed into a pimple and had that certain look and color to them. Now does anyone know what I can do to treat this or what exactly happened? The leaking has been going on for nearly a day straight, is this a good thing and part of it draining and healing? Or should I be trying to stop the leaking? I put Neosporin on it which appears to be helping (and kiling bacteria and all that) but its hard to tell. Its still leaking right through. I've never dealt with something like this before so Im not sure how else to treat it.

I have fever blister medication, but that is't supposed to be used when its not on the lip right?

Edited by jabba225

It sounds like a cold-sore which is caused by a virus. Have you had anything like this before? They tend to come on when you are a bit run down-the virus unfortunately stays dormant in your system popping up whenever you are run down/stressed out. They do go away on their own but to speed it up you need to try a cream with aciclovir or a similar anti-viral (called Zovirex in UK). The neosporin wont do any harm but it wont kill the virus if it is a coldsore. If it doesn't get better get a doctor to check it out. Hope that helps?

It sounds like a cold-sore which is caused by a virus. Have you had anything like this before? They tend to come on when you are a bit run down-the virus unfortunately stays dormant in your system popping up whenever you are run down/stressed out. They do go away on their own but to speed it up you need to try a cream with aciclovir or a similar anti-viral (called Zovirex in UK). The neosporin wont do any harm but it wont kill the virus if it is a coldsore. If it doesn't get better get a doctor to check it out. Hope that helps?

Thought cold sores/fever blisters only occured on the lip? Ive had a handful of cld sores in the past, but they were far different from this. This starts just off the lip and goes halfway down the side of my chin, and looks alot like a pimple in a way. Its still swollen and leaking clear fluid. I havent had anything leak this much clear fluid since I was sun burned, and I havent been out in the sun for awhile so im not burnt for sure. Is the leaking a good or bad sign? thanx for the help

Like the original guy said, i would simply get a quick doctor's visit if anything. By the way you are describing it, it doesn't sound like an acne related problem.

How painful is it? Is it like to the point where you can't even touch it without bringing on tears or is it just this sore that sits there looking ugly?

Like the original guy said, i would simply get a quick doctor's visit if anything. By the way you are describing it, it doesn't sound like an acne related problem.

How painful is it? Is it like to the point where you can't even touch it without bringing on tears or is it just this sore that sits there looking ugly?

Just a sore. Cysts, nodules hurt worse. Basically a blister that for some reason formed off my lip. Just not having any luck at treating it, and even if I were its hard to tell if Im doing the right thing without seeing any progress. 2 days in and its still leaking, still swollen.

If it is spreading down your chin then I agree it probably isn't a cold-sore. Is there a yellow crust on it? From how you are describing it it could be Impetigo- which is a bacterial infection and which needs oral antibiotics to treat it. It is very infectious and children quite often get it-have you been around any children recently? Maybe you could post us a picture? I would say get down to your doctor and get their opinion and hopefully some oral antibiotics.