Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forever16

Nuts about Acne

lol the title makes me giggle :) anyways i was wondering if you all could answer some questions for me. Does anyone know what kind of nuts make you break out the most or what nuts are okay to eat like Almonds and Cashews and stuff so please if you have any ideas on the subject of nuts (lol) Then pleaze dont hesitate to tell me thanks:D

lol the title makes me giggle :) anyways i was wondering if you all could answer some questions for me. Does anyone know what kind of nuts make you break out the most or what nuts are okay to eat like Almonds and Cashews and stuff so please if you have any ideas on the subject of nuts (lol) Then pleaze dont hesitate to tell me thanks:D

the only nuts you should eat are almonds and brazil nuts.

i'd stay away from cashews.

Edited by Weeee

That's completely individual and no one can tell you which you should avoid.

However, peanuts are near the top of the list of most common allergens as well as being one of the worst sources of lectins. Also, when trying to figure out what you may have a intolerance to, by logically and systematically avoiding things one by one or related things in groups, it's helpful to know which are true nuts and which aren't. Peanuts and almonds, for example are not nuts. Almonds are the seed of a stone fruit and many people are intolerant of all stone fruit.

Edited by alternativista

However, peanuts are near the top of the list of most common allergens as well as being one of the worst sources of lectins. Also, when trying to figure out what you may have a intolerance to, by logically and systematically avoiding things one by one or related things in groups, it's helpful to know which are true nuts and which aren't. Peanuts and almonds, for example are not nuts. Almonds are the seed of a stone fruit and many people are intolerant of all stone fruit.

Be careful with tree nuts aswell, also a common allergen, peanuts seem to be ok for me (although Ive never eaten them in large quantities just in case) but walnuts broke me out like mad, 100's of little whiteheads on my chin, it was crazy I tells ya. Well it was either walnuts or brazil nuts, but im pretty sure brazil nuts I can tolerate, I avoid them these days because I dont want to test that theory, but either way, be careful with tree nuts!

Disagree with this. Almonds will not be bad for anyone. They are one of the best foods you can eat.

Ever hear of the acid/alkaline balance?

Anytype of acidifying nut is going to be bad for acne.

Edited by Weeee

Hmm, unless you are ALLERGIC to almonds!

So as long as you don't have an allergy, I agree almonds are superb. I have eaten as much as a half pound in a day with no acneic effects. Not that I advise anyone to do that.

Disagree with this. Almonds will not be bad for anyone.

Well, you are wrong. They are very bad for anyone with an intolerance to them.

There are other alkalinizing foods.

Edited by alternativista

I'm a big fan of pistachios myself.

I think those are the best nuts. They all taste good to me, but most nuts make my stomach feel pretty uncomfortable. Pistachios don't, they give me the same feeling as eating green vegetables which is strange but pleasant.

Pine nuts are good to eat as a snack or to sprinkle as a topping on your food as they are full of vitimin e which maintains healthy skin :) x

Pine nuts are good to eat as a snack or to sprinkle as a topping on your food as they are full of vitimin e which maintains healthy skin :) x

But expensive. On that note, pumpkin seeds are a quality protein source and high in nutrients many of us supplement specifically for acne. And sunflower seeds are also a quality protein nearly as high in those nutrients but at a fraction of the cost of pumpkin. Which is why I no longer go around recommending pumpkin to everyone.

Is seeds ok? Like pumkinseeds? Sunflower seeds?

Sigh. As already stated in the thread, those seeds are excellent provided you don't have an intolerance for them and you don't over consume them. Food sensitivities are individual and you will have to figure it out for yourself which are problematic for you.

Also, I hope everyone knows we are talking about raw, fresh nuts and seeds here. Not commercially roasted or old and rancid.

At least from my experience nuts are quite hard to digest. Best to keep the moderation with them and always soak them.

There push alot of the food through the intestines so they are not stored as fat. Good for people who want to lose weight.

any of you guys got any suggestions on where i can purchase some good quality sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and/or almonds??

like the type that is gluten free and not contaminated?

And what would be considered overconsuming sunflower seeds or almonds? 4 ounces a day too much?

the only nuts you should eat are almonds and brazil nuts.

i'd stay away from cashews.

Almonds are good.. i eat them without experiencing any kind of breakout

But Cashews break me out in no time. I dont even want to see them.

No idea about any other nuts.

Edited by orangeorn

what is considered overconsuming sunflower seeds, almonds, or pumpkin seeds>??? 4 oz in a day? more than 2 oz at a time?

also, where is the best place to buy these sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and almonds>>

Is there any place that has them gluten free>??

cuz most of the packages that hold pumpkin seeds have a note that says that they were packaged or manufactured in a plant, factory, or something of the sort that also uses wheat, soy, or something else that i'm trying to say away from now that i'm adhering to the paleo guidelines.

Little Help PorFavor.

Unfortunately Bob's Red Mill doesn't manufacture there nuts in a gluten free environment. But I called and talked to Bob himself about a month ago when I ordered like 200 lbs worth of food, no joke, and asked him about the beans and nuts. He told me unless you are HIGHLY allergic to gluten, they wouldn't effect you. He said because they are ran on a different belt, and still manufactured away from the gluten and wheat, but still in the same environment.

Also, soak everything. I soak my nuts and beans anyway. Very important process for lectins and breaking down the anti-nutrient factors, then after soaking I just rinse them like 5 times through cold water. Nice, fresh, and healthy.

Unfortunately Bob's Red Mill doesn't manufacture there nuts in a gluten free environment. But I called and talked to Bob himself about a month ago when I ordered like 200 lbs worth of food, no joke, and asked him about the beans and nuts. He told me unless you are HIGHLY allergic to gluten, they wouldn't effect you. He said because they are ran on a different belt, and still manufactured away from the gluten and wheat, but still in the same environment.

Also, soak everything. I soak my nuts and beans anyway. Very important process for lectins and breaking down the anti-nutrient factors, then after soaking I just rinse them like 5 times through cold water. Nice, fresh, and healthy.

do you get your nuts and seeds from Bobs Red Mill?

what exactly do you mean soak EVERYTHING?? tomatoes? almonds, or u mean just lectins?

soak overnight or for how long?

would you soak the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds along with the almonds??/

and rinse them with cold tap water?

you mind giving examples of healthy foods you eat that you soak and a summary of the process you use HOPER>>> whether it be overnight or for a few hours or what>

thanks in advance.

I soak seeds, nuts, beans and some grains. The grains I soak are basmati rice and millet.

I have containers labeled in my fridge. I don't count how long. But they all soak for at least 24 hours before I eat them. And yeah when I'm ready, I'll bring out my portion, rinse it 5-6 times through cold water, and cook.