Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
singingfool

Have to quit the Regimen :(

I've been on the Regimen for about a month.

Clean & Clear Cleanser -- twice a day

Dan's BP -- 2 pumps twice a day now

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion w/ jojoba oil -- once a day in the morning

AHA+ w/ jojoba oil -- once a day at night

The Regimen truly does clear up my acne! It has made my skin sooooo extremely dry and flaky though. To the point where it's uncomfortable and people point it out. I can't figure out a way to keep the flakes from coming. So sadly... I have to quit the Regimen :(

I found the same exact same thing!

How are you planning to care for your skin off of the regimen?

I've had to try a lot of different things because otherwise my skin is dry and flaky all the time... in general I don't think BP is a good idea for me except for spot treatment. And most moisturizers just make my skin more dry (no idea why?!) so I don't use them anymore. Also, I've tried only washing my face once a day, and it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's once or twice a day so I alternate between the two. And honestly.. my skin looks the same now as it did on the regimen. So I don't know.

I've been on the Regimen for about a month.

Clean & Clear Cleanser -- twice a day

Dan's BP -- 2 pumps twice a day now

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion w/ jojoba oil -- once a day in the morning

AHA+ w/ jojoba oil -- once a day at night

The Regimen truly does clear up my acne! It has made my skin sooooo extremely dry and flaky though. To the point where it's uncomfortable and people point it out. I can't figure out a way to keep the flakes from coming. So sadly... I have to quit the Regimen :(

NO NO NO. I went through the same thing as you you and the regimen did clear up my acne, but I had HORRIBLE flakiness. Also, you do realize that if you quit the regimen, your acne is going to come back??????

Trust me, read the links I listed below.

I wanted to quit the regimen, but then I realized that my acne would come back and then I came across the links below. READ THEM! They will help. I used the things mentioned in the links I listed below, and now I have flake-free skin. :)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/problems-...in-t162645.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Jojoba-Oi...61#entry1935361

Read both of the links thoroughly. :)

You shouldn't have added in AHA until your skin was completely adjusted to the BP. Drop the AHA. ONLY use the regimen steps as outlined, add in some jojoba to your moisturizer.

This post makes me really sad. It's unfortunate that people don't give the regimen enough time to actually work and the side effects to go away. When starting the regimen, you have to have it in your mind that you're going to have shitty looking skin for a few months. My skin didn't get clear of breakouts, redness, and HORRIBLE dryness until about the 4th or 5th month, but it was SO worth it now..looking back.

Dan's AHA didn't work for me; even though almost everyone praises it..so maybe that's a factor? One month on the regimen is still extremely new to it.

When I was on the regimen my first month, my skin was absolutely disgusting. You're actually lucky you're clear of acne, because I wasn't in my first month. Plus I had redness like a lobster and dryness to the point of looking like a peeling lizard. But, as I said, I don't regret the few months I went through that for beautiful skin now. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, and look at the big picture instead of the here-and-now.

But it's your choice to stop, I just think your side effects would have gone away if given more time :)

The side effects DO start to go away. Have you tried adding AHA? It makes ALL the difference-totally annihilates flakes and dryness, and improves skin texture/elasticity. Don't give up yet!

When I don't use the AHA+ my skin just flakes up more. My skin has been taking the AHA+ well it's just that my skin is super flaky and tight. I haven't completely cleared up but I've noticed a HUGE improvement. I used a Retin-A product prescribed by my dermatologist with not near as much improvement as the Regimen has been giving me. Maybe I need to try a new moisturizer? CeraVe is really good quality though. I was thinking Eucerin Original or Aveeno... also Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion. But really they probably wouldn't make much of a difference. It just sucks that I can find something to help with this dry skin. I've also tried the whole Jojoba oil right after cleansing. Ugh. Do skin problems ever end?

I use Neutrogena moisturizers and put some AHA in there. That stuff is awesome. Don't ever flake anymore or feel dry since I started using it. But like Wynne said, I didn't start using it 'til way after I was used to the regimen.

You'll probably be ok if you just give it time :)

Have you tried Cetaphil cream? That's very hydrating. I think you should consider trying more things to help solve the problem before giving up. There is a wealth of information on here about problems experienced with the regimen, just waiting to be tapped into. There are also lots of people who want to help.

What will you try instead of the regimen? You don't want to find in a few months you have to re-start the regimen from scratch again, if nothing else works.

maybe if you feel you have no other options, try using a little bit more BP? lower the amount you use on your face, and see if its still effective in fighting your acne and if that improves the dryness a bit. when i first got clear off the regimen after a couple months, i lowered the amount of bp i used a little bit each week to see if it would still be effective. after a couple weeks i had a mild breakout, and i used the amount from the previous week from then on. that way i was saving BP that i might not have needed on my face, and it would help as far as the dryness of my face went.

maybe if you feel you have no other options, try using a little bit more BP? lower the amount you use on your face, and see if its still effective in fighting your acne and if that improves the dryness a bit. when i first got clear off the regimen after a couple months, i lowered the amount of bp i used a little bit each week to see if it would still be effective. after a couple weeks i had a mild breakout, and i used the amount from the previous week from then on. that way i was saving BP that i might not have needed on my face, and it would help as far as the dryness of my face went.

How do I PM you? I have questions that may not be directly related to this discussion topic??

When I don't use the AHA+ my skin just flakes up more. My skin has been taking the AHA+ well it's just that my skin is super flaky and tight. I haven't completely cleared up but I've noticed a HUGE improvement. I used a Retin-A product prescribed by my dermatologist with not near as much improvement as the Regimen has been giving me. Maybe I need to try a new moisturizer? CeraVe is really good quality though. I was thinking Eucerin Original or Aveeno... also Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion. But really they probably wouldn't make much of a difference. It just sucks that I can find something to help with this dry skin. I've also tried the whole Jojoba oil right after cleansing. Ugh. Do skin problems ever end?

How are you doing the Jojoba Oil thing??

Type the steps of how you do it.

How do I PM you? I have questions that may not be directly related to this discussion topic??

PM'ing a member can be done by clicking their name in blue on the left corner of their post, and then on the scroll menu clicking "Send Message." :)

I think I've figured out the problem! All the Vitamin B3 I was taking made my skin more dry than usual... I stopped taking it and now I have no flake problems!

I have the same thing. But to be honest I would way rather have flakes then acne so I choose flakes. And flakes are only temporary as they will subside when my skin becomes adjusted to BP.

You really should give the regimen a lot more time. It's really worth it in the end.

The regimen didn't work 4 me @ all. I don't knof if it was purging or not, but I broke out really bad & continued 2 break out. Regimen was not 4 me :(

Glad you solved your problem!

For reference - I use Eucerin 5% Urea Moisturizer and I LOVE it. Would definitely recommend!!

well maybe u can use a scrub to get ride of the dead skin !

i use sugar and water and scrub lighty maybe once or twice a week it worked for me cuz i had very dry peeling skin and i would do that and it would make my skin very soft and smooth=)

As a rule, you should give acne treatments about 3 months before you determine if they work or not, correct?

Well, as for the flaking and whatnot, you seemed to have dealt with it. I thought I had the same problem. I went to my family doctor the other day and I practically begged him for a derm recommendation. He looked at my face and said "Whatever you're doing, stop it. This looks like an allergic reaction." I just thought I was adjusting to the BP but I'm actually allergic to it... Who knew? I mistook an allergy for the "hell" that people go through adjusting to BP. I thought it was normal. I feel soooooooooo stupid. Now maybe mom will listen to me more often when I say I need to go see the doc. :|