Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lou93

Do you find that not exfoliating causes breakouts?

I was just wondering because i read on a website that dead skin cells can accumulate and block pores thus causing break outs...but i never really know what to believe when i read some of these things so i thought you guys would be the best to ask ;)

Perhaps the fact that i don't really see exfoliation as an important part of my regime is causing recent breakouts...

For me, not exfoliating leads to breakouts. That's because the acne I would get is comedonal, non-inflamed, and they don't even appear if I use my AHA product regularly.

This sounds stupid.....how do you exfoliate? I've never really done it before. I have a Manuka honey scrub I've been toying with trying, but I'm scared I'll just make my skin worse or irritated...

Well i've always used exfoliating creams deisgned for the face and i would do it around twice a week so my skin would not become irritated...thats as much as i know.

This sounds stupid.....how do you exfoliate? I've never really done it before. I have a Manuka honey scrub I've been toying with trying, but I'm scared I'll just make my skin worse or irritated...

There are two ways: mechanical and chemical. Mechanical uses things like spinning toothbrushes, a baby's hair brush, sugar/salt/etc scrubs.

Chemical uses the exfoliant properties of chemicals like salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid), alpha hydroxy acid (like glycolic acid), or retinoids (like Green Cream or Retin A or Tazorac or Differin, etc).

I use both mechanical and chemical. I use a baby's hair brush when cleansing once a day, plus the AHA product (the Avon one). I actually use the AHA product every other day now. I need to change my signature. :D

The idea for both means of exfoliation is simply to help even out the stratum corneum (this helps acne medications and other topicals penetrate more evenly), helps get rid of the pore-clogging skin flakes and sticky, viscous sebum that may lead to clogged pores.

My breakouts heal much better when I exfoliate. I prefer to use chemicals to exfoliate, especially my forehead where I get comedonal acne.

BHA, like salicylic acid, is good for exfoliating "inside" the pores and AHA, like glycolic acid, is good for exfoliating the surface. I think so anyway :)

My regimen is still a work in progress but lately I have been using Burt's Bees salicylic acid acne wash in the morning and I use sea salt water at night. I also used to use a baby brush to exfoliate, but I don't use it when I have papules or pustules because it hurt too much. On clear areas or comedonal acne it worked fine though.

Ahhh thanks so much. Now I have choices I need to think about.

Is using a washcloth gently too much?

For me... I feel like my skin is worse if I continuously exfoliate more than like... once a month.

I have SUPER SUPER sensitive skin so exfoliation has to be kept to a minimal..