Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, got married, moved to California (Yay for me), and all was hunki-dori and way happy; now I'm all breaking out like nobody's business!! It friggin' sucks! I know all those changes are stressful no matter how well prepared and how happy you are, but it's been 3 weeks! I'm going crazy.

I took Doxy from June 08 to October 09, when it abruptly stopped working. Derm said it was normal for that to happen and prescribed Amoxycillin, which she said most people could use for years without it losing its effects. That was in November 09. It never worked as well as Doxy but it was ok. Now it feels like it's doing nothing. I'm just really clogged and bumpy and rough and get like two nasty big ones each week :(

I use The Regimen Cleanser, AHA and facewash, and Neutrogena moisturizer. Take generic Yaz and the Amoxycillin.

So: what should I do?! Take my chances with a dermatologist out here? We just moved and I don't know any doctors yet. Oral antibiotics are the only thing that ever works. Topical stuff is just eh, and I use to just stay clean and all.

Oh yeah, I've also used the regimen BP since like 06. Kind of a biggie that I forgot to mention lol

It's fine. I guess it works the best but ... ya know ... still breaking out

oooohhh ok, what you're saying is right now you ARE using BP, and still breaking out?

do you have experience with some other effective treatments? salicylic acid, tea tree oil, things like that?

I am sorry! I am thinking maybe it has to do with moving to a new state... different environment and climate? I am actually in California now, but about 8 years ago I moved to Oregon and broke out really bad on my chin. I think it had to do with the different climate and everything up there. As well as stress. Both seem like it might be your case as well. Have you tried switching to a different birth control pill? When I was in Oregon I got on ortho- try cyclen but it didn't do anything for my acne. It wasn't until a year later I happened to switch to ortho- try cyclen LO and it cleared right up. :D

I hope you find something that helps!!

Could it have something to do with the water in California? From what I've heard different states and their different qualities of water can have some negative effects on different skin types, it might be worthwhile to buy a cheap filtered shower head to see if it helps or not.

Could it have something to do with the water in California? From what I've heard different states and their different qualities of water can have some negative effects on different skin types, it might be worthwhile to buy a cheap filtered shower head to see if it helps or not.

Yeah I thought about that. What places sell those? Cus our water is really hard and my water back home was super soft water, so it's a big change

I just got one off of Amazon. It's not a full water filtration system, but a cheap shower head that filters water that passes thru it should at least give you an idea of whether or not filtering the water helps. Check the reviews and make sure it's decent, though.