Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest bamberry

Afraid to be optimistic, but what's left?

Guest bamberry

Greetings ya'll.

I've noticed I have been spending large amounts of time on these boards, which is funny because there are so many other things I should be doing - I guess I finally found the group of people I best fit in with!

This thread is basically kind of a log (really not sure if I got the right forum for that) and a place for discussion about body acne that is not face, back or chest related. I'll tell ya my story as well as try to keep a running update of my treatment so that in hopes that it may help someone else in a similar situation.

My Story

My relationship with acne has been an iffy one. My face has pretty much always been clear (you didn't hear me saying that, I'm knocking on wood as we speak!) as well as everything aside from pretty much my legs. Legs, meaning back and front of thighs and the rest of the skin down to the ankle.

Basically, the totality of skin on both my legs is dotted with little pinprick sized dark red/purplish dots around the hair follicles (even where there is no more growing hair anymore due to shaving or whatnot). You could seriously play connect the dots on my legs and thighs. These dots get raw and bright red after the shower and when I sweat (salt + friction). Aside from that I have persistent mild case of acne over my thighs (worse in the back, lighter in the front) and a little on my lower legs below the knee (occurs periodically). All of this leaves marks (dark purple, sometimes brown) that take months to fade (if not years). And given the fact that my legs haven't seen sun since I was like 10 (positively no shorts or short skirts/dresses for me) they are super white and it all stands out horribly.

I do not have the heaviest case (used to be way worse) by any stretch of the imagination, but the point is, I've lived with this for most of my life and am only now (these recent weeks) really realizing HOW crippling it has been to my self-esteem. Any place having to do with water and being bare thighs down has been totally out of my life and the irony is I LOVE water - swimming, oceans and pools, I'd spend most of my life there if I could, thinking about beach trips usually makes me want to cry because I want to go so bad but know I can't. Summer shopping is nonexistant and this mess is certainly part of the reason why I've been abstaining from sex (some screwed up relationships as a result). I can only stare at girls wearing shorts and wonder to myself why I was cursed with this sort of skin when they have totally smooth, flawless legs. Given how many girls have clear legs, pretty much everyone has always been the subject of my envy. Now that's a lot of people to be jealous of, lol!

I've never been to the dermatologist, in fact it has never occurred to me to go until I joined this forum. I've been trying to self-diagnose for a while now and I'm stuck between folliculitis, keratosis pilaris and mild acne (it's become milder now, with age). I have a mix of symptoms from each, so it's hard to decide which it is, folliculitis looks too severe, KP doesn't quite match bc I don't have that sort of roughness. I know it's more than just simple irritation, that's for sure. I've had it for as long as I can remember and my mother had/has it too. I've tried a limited amount of treatments such as lemon juice, sugar/salt scrubs, aspirin baths/masks, shaving (strangely enough, this clears up my legs for a really short while), lotion, drenching my legs with SA astringents (2% concentration), SA body scrubs. All gave either no results, further irritated my skin and made everything REDDER or gave impermanent and incomplete results.

My sudden scramble to solve my problem is brought on by the fact that for first time in a few years I'm going on a real vacation to the Gulf Coast. It starts in two weeks and I realized that there is NO way I could spend a week in jeans and capris (like I usually do) in an environment that is going to have a temperature of around 100F every day. Something had to be done about this.

I have ordered Dan's AHA+ and BP and it is all due to arrive today. The real battle is about to begin :) (I hope!)

My regiment:

(I work out almost every day towards the evening, usually within the 7-11PM range, so the treatment has to be after the gym as my skin gets irritated and inflamed very easily with sweat and being overheated)

EVENING:

Shower with Neutrogena Grapefruit BodyClear Body Wash (2% SA)

Proactiv Step 1 2.5% BP Cleanser

Proactiv Step 2 Glycolic Acid Toner

Proactiv Step 3 BP Lotion/Treatment

Sometimes add St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Soothing Lotion for extra moisturizing

Proactiv bottles are SHOCKINGLY small, so I've been draining them, trying to "pre-test" my skin with the stuff to see if BP does anything for my condition.

If I get brave enough later, I might upload pictures of the progress. Pretty sure this is the first time I've admitted any of the above to anyone but my mother, lol.

Edited by bamberry

Try Nizoral shampoo. It's $10 at Walgreens and worked for me amazingly well.

I had what I thought was body acne on my stomach and after reading through this site I realized I had a mild case of folliculitis.

I put the Nixoral on straight from the bottle and waited 10-15 minutes begore I rinsed it off in the shower. One application knocked them out! It's been years!

I had been using Dan's AHA+ for a few weeks beforehand and I had used Neutrogena SA body wash for years too. Maybe the AHA made the Nizoral more effective, but it was definitely the shampoo that made the difference. It's worth the $10 to try.

Good Luck

Guest bamberry
Try Nizoral shampoo. It's $10 at Walgreens and worked for me amazingly well.

I had what I thought was body acne on my stomach and after reading through this site I realized I had a mild case of folliculitis.

I put the Nixoral on straight from the bottle and waited 10-15 minutes begore I rinsed it off in the shower. One application knocked them out! It's been years!

I had been using Dan's AHA+ for a few weeks beforehand and I had used Neutrogena SA body wash for years too. Maybe the AHA made the Nizoral more effective, but it was definitely the shampoo that made the difference. It's worth the $10 to try.

Good Luck

Thanks!

I've been using Dan's BP and AHA+ with pretty good success. Like, you have to be really diligent in application and make sure you do it pretty much every day but my legs look wayyyy lighter and more evened out. I realized that I have keratosis pilaris, and it's been helping that as far as I can tell. Not sure if they're permanent results though. Hope so!

Its good that your doing your own homework but you should really consider going to see a good doctor who may be able to run some tests to see if maybe you have had an allergic reaction to something you had no idea about.

Also dont be afraid to go to the beach and swim if you really love being in the the water. Let me put it this way If you love something you shouldn't let others get in the way of it right? So Throw caution to the wind and jump right in!!! ITs not like your going to the beach to find your soul mate or anything your going for your addiction to being in the water and having fun. I do understand how you would feel worried about it but hell if it really bugs you just put on a wet suit and go nuts !!! And if someone asks why your wearing one tell them "Im protecting my skin from the sun" Which is Not only the Truth but A great way for people to understand that Sun damage is a serious issue when your at the beach

Cheers and enjoy the summer!!!

Edited by Arch