Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girl3900

Weaning myself off foundation...slowly

I've been trying to use less and less foundation because I hate how heavy makeup looks and how long it takes to apply. However, it's not covering my red marks too well. They're not noticeable from a mile away but if you stand a few feet from me, you can see them quite well. I made the mistake of slathering on the foundation too heavy before and it covered everything but now that i'm wising up, I use barely any now and i feel completely naked. People insist my face looks the best it has in a while but all i see are a ton of red marks all over my cheeks. It's very embarassing.

Wearing makeup for so long and then abruptly stoping is hard. I literally feel like i'm walking around without a bra on or something. Question is, is it better to see red marks or heavy makeup? I think i'd rather see the red marks.

Its easier for me to just use consealer instead of covering the entire face with foundation. Its faster and and you dont have to use too much to dot on consealer over the red marks. But it depends on which consealer you use and if it matches your skin tone. If you get the right consealer, it will cover red marks easily with little amounts. Most of the store bought consealers I've tried flake up after a few hours--and they dont match my skin tone so I'm left with light colored dots on my face :doh:

If your skin has a smooth texture and red marks, thats nothing to worry about. I think too much foundation leaves a chunky texture on my face--especially when theres too much foundation over active breakouts. It makes my skin look older and it looks unnatural. I know what you mean when you said you feel naked without makeup...I get paranoid without it. But in the long run I think you're doing the right thing.

If your skin has a smooth texture and red marks, thats nothing to worry about.  I think too much foundation leaves a chunky texture on my face--especially when theres too much foundation over active breakouts.  It makes my skin look older and it looks unnatural. I know what you mean when you said you feel naked without makeup...I get paranoid without it.  But in the long run I think you're doing the right thing.

MY biggest complaint with foundation has been that, up close, I can see that it clings to the dry skin on my face and makes it look very yucky. Recently I've stopped using foundation except for the littlest bit on my cheekbones. I've -never- needed foundation on my cheeks or forehead, so it's not like this is a huge deal, but lately I've been going around without -any- makeup on save for a little powder and mascara. I know I have redmarks, and I know I have zits, but I just HATE makeup so much. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's going through this sort of 'problem'. smile.gif

Ive stopped using foundation/concelor about 3 weeks ago, because my red marks have almost completely faded... It really depends on what degree of redness you dont mind showing... Im quite happy at the moment.. And im sure my red marks will totally disapear in about 2-3 weeks. Until your happy I suggest you stay on the foundation...

My red marks are fading very fast so i'm finding i can use less and less makeup. However, they still show through but i'm just wondering what other people think of them? if i notice someone with redmarks, i don't think they're any less of a person but it's so hard when you're the one dealing with it. My face is completely smooth and clear except for 2 minor zits. I guess i'm lucky that i'm not having such bad breakouts anymore. Although, whenever I say that I jinx myself and wake up with tons of new ones.

I think one of the best things I did for my skin was getting rid of the foundation; I used to wear it every single day, and that does affect skin texture and appearance when it's without foundation. I'd say it took about 3 or 4 weeks for my skin to look "normal" again without foundation (basically, for me not to look like I just climbed out of a crypt..)

What I used to do was to lay off the foundation on the entire face, and just apply it to red marks. The red marks do fade faster when you use the BP during the day and at night, or put 100% vitamin E oil on the red areas at night. After a few weeks, you'll feel confident enought to go around with just powder. smile.gif

Good luck!

I don't know whether I have acne-prone skin or not. I don't get pimples until I started using makeup. So, most probably it's the makeup that's causing the pimples.. However, my pimples haven't stopped forming ever since. Blemishes turning into zits evry now and then.

Do you think it's possible that my face is getting rid of all the dirt I've accumulated by using makeup over the years?? I started makeup when I was 18 years old...now I am 20... :huh:

It could be what you are using, stress or just hormonal changes.

I had beautiful skin with no breakouts really until I was in my 20's.

I have had my worst acne recently in my late 20's, with pregnancy it has gotten bad.

I am hoping that it will go away again after I am done nursing my second baby (due in Nov), when my hormones will be able to stabilize again.

So I have a good year+ before my hormones are not fluxuating a lot.

I do think that makeup plays a big role in clogging pores and aggrivating the skin.

Other products do as well, you have to experiment to find what works for you.

Good for you, you are doing the right thing. It is hard to start with because everyone can see how bad your spots are but in the long run stick with it as you will see the benefit.

I just put a note up about Touch Éclat, I found it far superior to using a concealer as it doesn't seem to lay on the top (which can look a bit dodgy), it is like invisible but for some reason it really lessons red marks and scars.

I don't bother with face make up now as I gave up over Xmas.

Take care + good luck

GP

agreed, make-up can make skin worse. I work at a make-up counter for the past four years, just recently i finally ditched the foundation and only wear laura mercier powder. My skin is soooo much better. My days off I just add alittle bronzer and go. Wish you the best of luck!

I know exactly how you feel girl3900, I feel so naked without foundation, the thought of going without it is enough to make me cry. Truth be told, I haven't left my house without foundation in about six years... I don't let anyone look at me without it, I'm that ashamed of my face...

I want to wean myself off, but I think my face is still too bad for that yet... Anyway, I know this post probably wasn't too helpful, but that's because I have the same problem!

im trying proactive lightening lotion its only been a few days but i will tell you guys if it works good luck with all girl3900

I found a great foundation that covers my acne, looks like I'm wearing nothing, and doesn't irritate my skin...FINALLY!!! I too want to be make up free, but in the mean time, this is a great substitute. Its called Era Face and its a spray on foundation. Why I'm told it works?

It was originally developed to cover up scars for burn victims. It doesn't make you break out because you spray it on your face from an airtight bacteria-free canister, and the powder-puff you use to put it on (instead of those gross sponges) can be thrown in the washing machine. Plus, everyone wore it on the Charlie's Angel's set from head to toe.

Anyway...the down side...its $55 per can and you should really get a lesson from an expert on how to apply it, or you might think it doesn't work.

You can get it at Pure Beauty or at classifiedcosmetics.com

55 bucks?! yeah i definately DONT have the money for that lol...

well i ALWAYS wear my aquasmooth (i dunno if its concelor or foundation i dunno the difference.. haha yeah im dumb) or my almay blemish control..

oh i need to recommend that.. almay blemish control.. it comes in a tube with a sponge thing... like a lip gloss contationer...make sure you get the right color though.. it tends to run kinda lite...

anyways.. yes i ALWAYS wear coverup.. ugh my face just looks BAD without it.. i only have like 3 pimples.. all right in between my eyes! how much does that suck!? lets draw attention why dont we... lol...

but im gunna try weaning myself off of it.. my face is just sorta red.. so i used coverup to get that crap lookin' good. but now that i think about it... my face is SOOOO greasy anyways by the beginning of my second class at school its all SLIIIIIDDDING off my face.. so that sucks.. so im just gunna put a little bit between my eyes and a bit on my chin and go! i'll see how it works...

oh yeah one last thought.. you know what i HATE ABSOLUTELY DESPISE?! wearing foundation like always.. so people are thinking your face is relatively clear. and then when you swim or shower or something and your makeup is off people are like OMG YOUR FACE jhfdisoahgda GRRR I CANT HANDLE THAT.. it annoys me SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mk well sorry about the rant.. i just felt i could relate to this thread...

Yeah, I hate that too. I think my skin is so bad that I can't even lounge around the house without foundation. I hate it so much. Having to wakeup and slather it on before anyone sees me instead of just walking down stairs and having some breakfast or whatever. It's little things like that that make me hate the fact that I didn't do something to get my acne under control at an earlier age. If I could do it all over again, I'd go to the derm by age 10. Anyway, my quest to wear less and less foundation is working and I feel pretty good. I'm a bit self conscious if someone is staring at me because the red spots are quite obvious but I try not to let it bother me because no one has perfect skin (note to self, stay far away from children). I kinda feel better not wearing so much makeup. I don't feel as tied down to it as I was before. In a few months, i'm hoping to go without it. eek

I know this might sound strange, but it's almost comforting to know that there are other people like me, who have this problem about being horribly dependant on makeup...

Before I found this message board, I knew of no one besides me who felt like they couldn't leave their room without foundation... all my friends have near-perfect/perfect skin... It was so awful to be out in public, in the bright light, knowing that when people look at you, they can see through your foundation at the acne underneathe... And feeling like you can't go swimming because people will be shocked at the redness when the foundation comes off... It's so hard, I hate foundation so much but it's like a necessity.

Lately, since my failure on Accutane, I start to cry whenever I wash off my makeup. It really sucks feeling like you can't look at yourself.

Anyway, I think the bp regime is slowly starting to help... I'm also going to try and wean myself off foundation, but I'm really scared to... I'm afraid I'll never be able to get off of it!

At any rate, everyone else who is trying to get off foundation, I'd like to know if you're successful! It is sure to be a liberating feeling.

I just stumbled onto this website tonight and I have learned so much. I started getting acne really young around 4th or 5th grade I think. My mom was very wise in not allowing me to wear make up until I was older. I begged and begged her to let me cover up my face. I never believed her when she told me I was beautiful no matter my acne. I'm not sure that I believe her today.

I have tried many creams and a few prescriptions. My skin is sensitive so any cream too strong will dry it out very quickly. And prescription drugs just seem to barely make a dent. Between my monthly cycles there on only 6-14 days where my skin is half way decent looking. I am totally fed up with my skin. There have been times when I would just want to wear a bag over my head. I am very active in playing basketball and cheerleading so I dont really know if that has a factor in it. But, I also feel the need to wear make up when i play or cheer.

If anyone has advice that'd be great you can also email me at [email protected] My acne is continual and consistant. I am very very self concious about my skin, so this is a big step for me. Thanks everyone. bb_eusa_shifty.gif