Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ilovepancakes

Feeling a bit empty/unsatisfied

Okay, so I am 21 years old, a senior in college, my health is good, I do not consider myself ugly, I am not overweight, I take no medicine, have friends to hang out with....On paper I feel like life is good.

But I feel so empty inside. The past few weeks I wake up each day without being happy or motivated at all. Each day pretty much blends into the next.

I have tried going to a local church, but feel like a complete outsider standing among strangers. Not sure what exactly it is I am seeking...

:think:

I'm the same age and feel pretty much the same way. My life should be good, I should be happy. I have good friends, a loving boyfriend, I'm healthy, etc.. but I feel like my life is pointless. Like I'm not living, just existing. I wish I knew how to tell you how to curb it, but I feel the same way myself. Maybe try volunteering? I know when I donate blood or do something charitable, I feel better about myself, like my life has purpose and meaning. I hope you find whatever it is your looking for :)

That's very common in youth. It gets better with age and experience in life. I personally call that feeling "the ennui of privileged youth."

Volunteering will help, something that gets you outside of yourself and doing something ACTIVE. Help build houses for Habitat for Humanity.

^ ...There are many opportunities to volunteer in the US. Habitat for Humanity, ASPCA, Salvation Army, what have you. You can even become involved in local action groups, or local charities. Volunteer in your political party. Disaster relief. Volunteer at an animal shelter, cleaning cages and changing litter boxes. Plant a vegetable garden, donate the produce to a local charity. Volunteer for meals on wheels (they ALWAYS need help). Those deeds will not only help you feel less guilty but they'll also help other people.

Your urge to travel is most likely due to the feeling of boredom, the desire to get away from what you perceive as a boring mundane life. Well, having plenty and not needing anything doesn't have to be boring. YOU choose how to life your life. Go do it. :D

Okay, so I am 21 years old, a senior in college, my health is good, I do not consider myself ugly, I am not overweight, I take no medicine, have friends to hang out with....On paper I feel like life is good.

But I feel so empty inside. The past few weeks I wake up each day without being happy or motivated at all. Each day pretty much blends into the next.

I have tried going to a local church, but feel like a complete outsider standing among strangers. Not sure what exactly it is I am seeking...

whats the reason?

I kinda feel this way sometimes too. I know I have nothing to really be sad about but I dont always feel happy. I dont think it is uncommon. I actually learned about a theory in sociology class called Relative Deprevation. Its basiclly says that people always want more then they actually have. It is sort of like "the grass is always greener.." but it kinda works the other way too. For example, someone who has totally clear skin will freak out if they got 2 or 3 spots, while someone with cystic acne would probably be very happy with those same 2 or 3 spots. It works on sort of a sliding scale, it is 'relative' to each person

I dont know how much sense that made but the point is that almost everyone in the world feels that way at some time or another, and its pretty normal. It does suck to feel this way but it is nothing to really worry about. But if it really bothers you to where it interferes with your life then it could be something related to depression and you should get advice from a doctor.

whats the reason?

It's a girl thing i'm sure.

ilovepancakes is a 'boy'. It's a human thing, actually.

whats the reason?

It's a girl thing i'm sure.

lack of motivation, ambition, or direction is one of the most human emotions on earth. i'd question whether you are a boy OR a girl if you've never felt it.