Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

Zinc + acne scarring

Guest Timehealsall

I heard that taking zinc through supplements can actually help reduce acne scarring. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much zinc i should take and what type (i.e. zinc picolinate, glutocinate. etc)

Hi,

I think there is some evidence that zinc supplements can help with acne as it helps with the immune system and skin healing. As with most acne treatments it can take up to 3 months to see any results.

The recommended daily allowance of zinc is 15mg, but some evidence shows that you could take up to 30mg for acne. I wouldn't recommend taking anymore than 30mg a day as it can be toxic in high levels. It can cause stomach upsets, kidney problems, allergic reactions and occasionally be fatal. Also it can interfere with other medications such as antibiotics (like tetracyclines). It might be a good idea to discuss it with your doctor before starting.

You can take any of the different formulations of zinc e.g. zinc sulphate/ zinc citrate. It is thought that certain formulations are absorbed more easily by the body so might be more effective. Zinc gluconate is better absorbed than sulphate/citrate and zinc picolinate is thought to be absorbed even better than the others. Hope that helps?

Guest Timehealsall

thanks for the reply mate. I am seeing a derm thursday, so i will ask him about the zinc.