Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use smash box photo finish primer with the green tint to mask my red scars.

Positives:

- Does a great job in helping to conceal my red scars and any red pimples

- makes my make up go on super smooth

- Hasnt broken me out at all which it surprising because of some of the ingredients. Even after I have left it on all night

- lasts for ages

Negatives:

- I have naturally oily skin and it does not help keep shine at bay

-doesnt really fill in any indentation if you have any that is...

- not really cheap but see above it does last...

hope this helps :)

Primer is really pretty bad for acne prone skin. The ingredients in smashbox photo primer here............Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

The dimethicone (any cones) are used as a humectant and are the active ingredient in primers. They put a seal over the skin (not allowing it to breathe) and can cause cystic breakouts, if not now but down the road. Propelyne glycol is a lubricator and is used in break fluid for your car, this can also break you out. For some people silica alone works very well as a face primer and perfector, although some (very few) people still can possibly break out from it. You may want to try that out first.

Primers are only bad for your skin if you are sensitive to the cones (dimethicone) etc. And cones are not only in primers, but they are in other makeup as well. Some primers break me out and others don't. and i am very sensitive and breakout when someone like touchs my cheek.

so when ur looking for a primer i suggest that u get one that specifically says "oil-free" just to be safe.

so i have combination/more oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. and i have been doing a lot of searching for a new primer. And luckily the first one i bought is AMAZING! my skin has never looked this good with makeup on.

its called YSL Matt Touch Primer. It is 42 dollars but in my opinion, well worth it. primers are tricky and when u find one u like, then sometimes u gotta forget the price. well thats at least what im telling myself to make myself feel better. but the primer i used before this was 56 bucks!

so pros:

-smooths out skin as well as red marks/scars

-easy to apply

-oil free, hasn't broken me out

-smells good, its a faint smell and i like it

-makeup lasts all day

-controls shine/oil REALLY well

cons:

-flakes off if your skin is dry, SO make sure that right before u apply it u put on a REALLY moisturizier and it will go on perfectly!

Primers are only bad for your skin if you are sensitive to the cones (dimethicone) etc. And cones are not only in primers, but they are in other makeup as well. Some primers break me out and others don't. and i am very sensitive and breakout when someone like touchs my cheek.

so when ur looking for a primer i suggest that u get one that specifically says "oil-free" just to be safe.

so i have combination/more oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. and i have been doing a lot of searching for a new primer. And luckily the first one i bought is AMAZING! my skin has never looked this good with makeup on.

its called YSL Matt Touch Primer. It is 42 dollars but in my opinion, well worth it. primers are tricky and when u find one u like, then sometimes u gotta forget the price. well thats at least what im telling myself to make myself feel better. but the primer i used before this was 56 bucks!

so pros:

-smooths out skin as well as red marks/scars

-easy to apply

-oil free, hasn't broken me out

-smells good, its a faint smell and i like it

-makeup lasts all day

-controls shine/oil REALLY well

cons:

It's good to hear that your primer is working for you, but silicones may take weeks or sometimes months to start wreaking havoc on your skin. For most people it doesn't make their acne worse right away so they assume its ok to use, when avoided though the skin has more of an opportunity to heal. Silica powder makes a great primer and skin perfector, it is a powder and it is natural as opposed to synthetic so in my opinion less chemicals and synthetics on the skin the better.

Edited by leighbrack2

Propylene glycol isn't bad. It's found in a lot of medications, including injectable medicines, (drugs that go directly into the vein and bloodstream). You've probably eaten a lot of it; it's often found in liquid medications, like cough syrups.

Propylene glycol has been used to replace ethylene glycol in automotive products, to make it safer for animals and the environment. Ethylene glycol is the bad stuff; propylene is safe.

/OT

Just because it's used a lot in medications, foods etc doesn't make it safe or natural and def doen't mean that it won't break you out. Although it does have a low harfmul rating as far as synthetics go, I still wouldn't put it on my skin and yes I am also aware that it is even in vaccines but so is arsnic, once again not making it safe. Pharmaceuticals are the no #1 cause of death in the US, so that doesn''t make me feel safe knowing it is in pharmaceuticals and chemical mixed foods at the grocery store. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying there is such a thing as chemical induced acne. The more you get your skin back to nature the more it can heal. My face has healed dramatically simply by discontinuing use of mainstream cosmetics/cleansers and silicone/synthetic based products. I'm simply tryin to help out, My acne is virtually gone at this point. :angel:

I completely agree with LeighBrack about smashbox and its ingredients. When I read the list I was horrified as with other primers I have read about but I have used smashbox now for about a year and a half and it has never aggravated my acne or caused new spots to occur. And my skin is extremely acne prone and oily - I have even been on accutane and it didnt cure my acne. I have been out in sweaty bars, with smoke and other nasties and slept on a sofa with this make-up on numerous times and have never got a pimple from it which does completely baffle me.

Don't get me wrong I know we are all so different so I understand some people may have an averse reaction but I would recommend smashbox... When I wear it it gives me a lot more confidence which in my opinion is worth the price

although that ysl one looks awfully tempting... make-up alley acne-prone reviews also give big tick of approval too...

Just because it's used a lot in medications, foods etc doesn't make it safe or natural and def doen't mean that it won't break you out. Although it does have a low harfmul rating as far as synthetics go, I still wouldn't put it on my skin and yes I am also aware that it is even in vaccines but so is arsnic, once again not making it safe. Pharmaceuticals are the no #1 cause of death in the US, so that doesn''t make me feel safe knowing it is in pharmaceuticals and chemical mixed foods at the grocery store. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying there is such a thing as chemical induced acne. The more you get your skin back to nature the more it can heal. My face has healed dramatically simply by discontinuing use of mainstream cosmetics/cleansers and silicone/synthetic based products. I'm simply tryin to help out, My acne is virtually gone at this point. :angel:

I don't doubt that silicones have negatively affected your skin, but everyone has different triggers.

Silicones clog my pores, give me those tiny bumps, but nothing more serious than that. It's just not possible to say A causes B with acne, unfortunately!