Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sanderella24

I would love to stop Yaz

I've been on Yaz for two years now. I'm not sexually active. And my skin is pretty clear. I'm religious about my skin care routine. Anyways, I'm just worried that I will have a horrible IB while getting off of it. I remember when I started it, I broke out in large cysts..... but I'm thinking long term.... any ideas would be most helpful...

I don't like the idea of putting that many chemicals into my body. And in the long run, I'm afraid of how it will effect my body and if my acne will return full force. I've had no problems with it. I'd rather just not be on any birth control. ;/

lol just stop taking it. If you don't try you'll never know right. I stopped Ortho Tri Cyclen at the end of April...it's the end of July now and I've had no problems.

There are a couple logs floating around on the site... mine is in my signature... I will warn you though - it isn't pretty. Most of the time I am happy I got off the pill though... I left it for the same reason you are thinking --- sick of the chemicals/synthetic hormones... just wanted to be natural and have my own hormones back.

How was your skin before Yaz?

Good luck with your decision!

well this is the thing.... i was still breakout out after a year of taking it.... my skin didn't get better until this nov when i went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me tazorac. I honestly don't know if my skin benefited from yaz...i still break out a little before my period. I think my skin got worse actually. Yeah sure it takes up to 3 - 6 months for your body to adjust. But even after a year... my skin was still horrible. It didn't progress. So I have no idea what to do.

Yeah. No. I know of course I won't know until I try. I just would like to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks for the feedback.

That is my experience....my skin has been fine. You said so yourself, you won't know until you try. Continue to read the shit on here about people stopping the pill and you're gonna freak yourself out from doing it.....I personally banned myself off this site for a few months and stopped on my own terms, things worked out well for me. And don't base anything off other people's experiences....everyone's bodies, androgen levels, natural hormones, face care routines, etc are ALL different. Also, for every 1 person that has something negative to say on this website about stopping the pill, likely 10 stopped with no problems or minimal problems. You only hear the worst and the best on here.....it's not a good representation of the average.

I was on the pill for 12 years straight. Was given it when I was 19 for acne and stayed on it till just last month. the entire time I was on the pill (tried them all, ortho tri-cyclen, Yaz, Lyrbel which a pill with no periods) I had acne. It never truly cleared it up. I will tell you there are long term side effects of the pill no doctor will admit. I started developing migraines, joint stiffness and loss of sexual desire. Since i have been off, still no change in my acne, but my other side affects have started to change for the better. I really am not sure why doctors even prescribe BC pill for acne? It really doesn't change it. For a short period maybe, but long term, nope! Don't go on the pill if you are only doing it for acne. It doesn't improve it in the long run and only leads to other side affects you won't want!

Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate the response. For awhile here I thought I was on my own ;/ what you said about reading the negative experiences on here and freaking myself out... therefore cause more stress. Is very true. I have a week in half left of my last pack. I'm wondering if I should stop now and take a risk. Want big results gotta take big risks.

.... And don't base anything off other people's experiences....everyone's bodies, androgen levels, natural hormones, face care routines, etc are ALL different. Also, for every 1 person that has something negative to say on this website about stopping the pill, likely 10 stopped with no problems or minimal problems. You only hear the worst and the best on here.....it's not a good representation of the average.

This. :)

You make your own decision.

i dunno, it's a bit of a risk. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I took Yaz for a year, was completely clear, and decided to go off of it because my skin was perfectly clear for so long. badddd mistake, my acne came back 10x worse, and never cleared up completely when I went back on yaz. I dunno, your body might react differently but this was my experience.

i dunno, it's a bit of a risk. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I took Yaz for a year, was completely clear, and decided to go off of it because my skin was perfectly clear for so long. badddd mistake, my acne came back 10x worse, and never cleared up completely when I went back on yaz. I dunno, your body might react differently but this was my experience.

May I ask what your face regimen was on the pill? and after the pill?

lips like sugar --- I agree with the posters on here that say it's worth taking the risk - each body is different... there are a lot of horror stories - but I'm sure some girls survive just fine.

I had crappy skin before I ever started the pill... obviously the hormones in the pill (ortho tri cyclen lo) worked right for MY body......... but your body is entirely different than mine, your acne is different, and you took a different pill. Also, a lot of these women who are suffering with post-pill breakouts took the pill for years and years and years... and sometimes switched around a lot --- I don't think any of that helps.

Personally, I think it's worth a try for you to get off Yaz.

Try not to read all the horror stories and get scared from making whatever decision you think is right. There seems to be a good chance that you would do wonderful off the pill... who knows, maybe your skin would be BETTER WITHOUT IT!!! You never know!

Best of luck girl!

May I ask what your face regimen was on the pill? and after the pill?

When I was on Yaz I used cetaphil wash & lotion morning and night. A topical called Aczone in the morning, and both Aczone and Differin at night. I did the same things after I quit Yaz...just...minus the Yaz lol.

as i said, Yaz never cleared me up a second time so now I am on Spiro and Trinessa.

If you reallly want to quit BC, i'd talk to your derm about it. just because from personal experience I wish I never went off of it. better safe than sorry? good luck with whatever you choose to do!~

Thanks for your feedback hate cystic acne... honestly, I would love to get off it. I've only been on yaz for a year 3/4 months. And yes I never switched around. Always took it on time. Never had any problems with it. Always got my period on the same day. However I do naturally already have big boobs and I feel like yaz has made that problem even worse (*laughing*) I don't think yaz really did anything for my skin. Even a year after I started My acne was still bad. It didn't start to clear until nov when i started a new regimen with taz and cerave. So I really have no idea. I'm thinking happy thoughts. I will let you know my progress. I have a week left of my last pack, I'm debating whether to stop completely now :)

i wish there were lights in life, red to stop and green to go ahead with a decision. I'm still debating to stop taking it. I have a week left of my last pack. most of me is saying stop taking it and the other side of me is saying dont. eekkk

Everyones bodies react differently when getting off the pill. I have a girlfriend who's had breakouts here and there her whole life, took the pill, and then came off multiple times (stopped for multiple months) and never broke out. Me on the other hand - I have perfect skin my entire life, no issues, breakouts maybe... once every few months? I was complimented on my skin a lot. Went on birth control at 18, got off at 22, broke out in cystic acne like crazy for the first time in my life. Had no idea w t f was happening to me. I thought I would be the LAST person to ever get acne.. Especially since I never suffered with it in my life. Things are slowly getting better though, I believe that being on birth control caused me to have an overgrowth of candida and my skin always improves and stays clear when I stick to an anti-candida diet for the most part. I've been able to be less strict as of lately which leads me to believe that I've possibly gotten it some what under control. I followed a really strict regimin of diet, vitamins, exercise, and supplements for the first 5-6 months also, but only started to try anti-candida diet for the past 2 months on and off. I say just go for it, see what happens, and you can always try something like spiro, or different topicals to get it under control. Despite my skin, I am never going back on bcps again. I'm SO glad I went off of them and stuck with it!

How do you know if you have a Candida? I know. Everything inside me is saying just stop taking BCP and that my skin will probably improve. Every time I take a risk with my skin, say like try new make up or a new product.... I'm always so thankful that I did take that risk. I'm wondering if this would be the same and I'll never know until I try. My first inactive pill was yesterday... I don't feel more oily or anything. No new "breakouts" I feel like I'm more here than when I'm taking my active pills. Everything is pointing to not taking the pill anymore. But getting cysts scares the hell out of me.