Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luvskincare13

asked a dr I trust questions

I hope this is okay to copy. I really like this dr. and think he is a honest guy. I did delete my questions to him so I hope you guys can read this without confusion. I posted my photo that you guys have seen for him to look at.

What do u think would be the best treatment for me?

that's a hard one. i do not think fillers will work. TCA or laser would be better. i have better results with CROSS TCA. if you do weak TCA, it does nothing. hope that helps as a start.

i have a fractionated laser and i don't think it does a lot for acne scars. i was going to get an active fx and was working on a book project a couple of years ago with a senior user of the product and warned me not to get it for acne scars because he said simply it was not effective. i personally do not have a good laser recommendation, as i find that in general it does not work well. however, you can give it a try but not with me. i personally would do the CROSS but it is not perfect, as very few things are for acne scars.

wrinkles are best treated with botox. because wrinkles are caused by movement and the stopping of movement is the key. :

plasma is good for significant outer sun damage. i really don't think it will do too much for you. focus on the cross treatment and botox in my opinion. i see all types of scars so in the range that i have treated i would say not severe but remember that whenever it is your face it is always severe.

I hope this is okay to copy. I really like this dr. and think he is a honest guy. I did delete my questions to him so I hope you guys can read this without confusion. I posted my photo that you guys have seen for him to look at.

What do u think would be the best treatment for me?

that's a hard one. i do not think fillers will work. TCA or laser would be better. i have better results with CROSS TCA. if you do weak TCA, it does nothing. hope that helps as a start.

i have a fractionated laser and i don't think it does a lot for acne scars. i was going to get an active fx and was working on a book project a couple of years ago with a senior user of the product and warned me not to get it for acne scars because he said simply it was not effective. i personally do not have a good laser recommendation, as i find that in general it does not work well. however, you can give it a try but not with me. i personally would do the CROSS but it is not perfect, as very few things are for acne scars.

wrinkles are best treated with botox. because wrinkles are caused by movement and the stopping of movement is the key. :

plasma is good for significant outer sun damage. i really don't think it will do too much for you. focus on the cross treatment and botox in my opinion. i see all types of scars so in the range that i have treated i would say not severe but remember that whenever it is your face it is always severe.

i can agree with that. i think we need to bring back the exoderm peel.

exoderm is excellent, but very risky. It's even more risky if you're ethnic.

but if all goes well, man... ive seen some fantastic results on the internet.

down time takes forever though, 1 month and even longer for redness to go away

exoderm is excellent, but very risky. It's even more risky if you're ethnic.

but if all goes well, man... ive seen some fantastic results on the internet.

down time takes forever though, 1 month and even longer for redness to go away

its what i keep thinking. ive done 60% tca peels and my scars smoothed out a bit once before. exoderm is like that but stronger from what im reading. i have skin type 1 so ill never hyperpigment. redness would be an issue tho..

just got to find someone who does it now ! anyone know of anyone?

Edited by sydney_fellow

in california theres 1 or 2

id like to go there, but its just too expensive. the aussie dollar is worth a lot less than the american one and coupled with the cost of accomodation, gosh golly, id be poor.

i might see if there is one in thailand. its only a few hours flight from here. anyone know of any around there?

how's life like in Australia? i wouldnt mind living there : )

i wish i can live in a place where no one will judge my skin.

Edited by chee6119

hey, have you heard of lumixyl? its a lightening cream for brown spots/red spots and acne scars. I heard its stronger and works faster than retinol. i bet its expensive : /

hey, have you heard of lumixyl? its a lightening cream for brown spots/red spots and acne scars. I heard its stronger and works faster than retinol. i bet its expensive : /

life in australia is awesome ! we have the best food, weather and people but of course i have to say that :P i love americans too...well everyone really unless they are nasty! supplement and treatment wise its a bit limited. we dont have HA supplements for example and our range of treatments is a bit mainstream. aussie customs is a bit severe, so it takes ages to get anything through :(

in terms of a cream to lighten scars, i suppose the one you mentioned might work. i used the costly bioskinrepair cream and it reduced a lot of my redness so im tempted to stick with that.

in terms of a retinol, lots of people say it makes their scars worse before they get better. people dont report the same problems with glycolic or tca peels, which seems to make it a better alternative.

this exoderm peel really interests me. i know doctors will say its ancient and to go for laser instead but if the new treatments arent working why would you go for them. i read an academic article earlier today and they found the exoderm to be better for scarring than the CO2 laser.

i had good results with the medium depth peel (tca 50%) i can only imagine the results after a deep exoderm or phenol peel !

im emailing some doctors in my area atm and showing them some pics. fingers crossed they say they will do it.

Edited by sydney_fellow

Phenol peels are supposed to be very effective but they can cause fatal heart arrythmias. They MUST be done by someone who knows what they're doing and who has a crash cart and knows how to use it.

Phenol peels are supposed to be very effective but they can cause fatal heart arrythmias. They MUST be done by someone who knows what they're doing and who has a crash cart and knows how to use it.

this is what worries me. finding someone good. even finding someone that still does it seems hard but like inspector rex, ive beeen on the case. ive emailed about 8 doctors that show potential. one is even a suburb away. another is all the way in thailand....but hoping not to have to go there.

lol make that 7...1 replied saying they now only do AHA peels. lol do people REALLY go to clinics for those?

Edited by sydney_fellow

Thanks Dudleydoright,

Those photos were impressive and finally for once the lighting wasnt manipulated.

Its such a hard call. I know that you have had great success with your laser treatments and I am so happy for you. It really seems like you have gone through alot.

Jackiey, I don't know which treatment is best - none of us do. We should only speak to what we have tried. I advocate the fractionalized ablative Co2 laser(Re:pair and DeepFX), but they certainly are not suitable for all, nor approiate. You will notice that I don't recommend either Dermabrasion or regular Co2. I don't comment on TCA because I have never done it, and it never sounded like the path I wantd to take after my experience with Dermabrasion and regular Co2. TCA has many advocates so that says a lot. My goal on this forum is to educate about lasers and expose shams so people aren't wasting money on false miracle cures that are only meant to make the supplement industry rich.

Jackiey, I don't know which treatment is best - none of us do. We should only speak to what we have tried. I advocate the fractionalized ablative Co2 laser(Re:pair and DeepFX), but they certainly are not suitable for all, nor approiate. You will notice that I don't recommend either Dermabrasion or regular Co2. I don't comment on TCA because I have never done it, and it never sounded like the path I wantd to take after my experience with Dermabrasion and regular Co2. TCA has many advocates so that says a lot. My goal on this forum is to educate about lasers and expose shams so people aren't wasting money on false miracle cures that are only meant to make the supplement industry rich.

dudley, her pitted scarring (ice picks and boxcar scars) wouldnt respond well to any laser. Dr Lam and many other plastic surgeons/derms and previous fraxel repair users have found this. She appears to have one big rolling scar that the laser might help, but in the scheme of things, people with similar scarring have seen better results with tca cross. Lasers are great, but other medical procedures do exist and are more likely to help in other instances. Scientific journals support this.

Edited by sydney_fellow

Hi sydney,

Are you refering to the rolling scar near my eye?

yeah. im not sure whether that itself is worth an expensive laser treatment though.

after examining the pics closely ive noticed two things:

- lasers tend to stretch the scars which in my view made them look worse in almost all before and after shots esp in the case of boxcar scars where you are dealing with noticable scar tissue.

- peels smooth the scars hence any improvement is a real improvement

Yeah that scar was caused by a ground dart thrown at my face when I was a kid. Dr lam suggested I have a scar revision. This scar even though it is the most noticable really doesnt bother me so I will leave it alone.

I cannot even wrap my head around any one thinking your skin has moderate scarring. Judging from the pic you posted on the doctor's site it is, at worst, mild. It seems like some shallow scarring with textural issues that can only be seen in harsh lighting. I bet your issues can be rectified with a series of peels and/or dermarolling.

When you went to see the aesthetician, did you have a lot of discolouration on your face? I can only think she was referring to red marks as scarring. I can't think of any other explanation for her to say you had severe scarring.

Also, Dr.Lam seems like a stand up guy and he provides a great service with his forum, but I think it is important to remember he only performs TWO (TWO!) procedures for acne scarring. There are many, many more options. If you are interested and in the DFW area, I can give you the names of some doctors that I am planning on making appointments with in the near future.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by neuroticwaif

I cannot even wrap my head around any one thinking your skin has moderate scarring. Judging from the pic you posted on the doctor's site it is, at worst, mild. It seems like some shallow scarring with textural issues that can only be seen in harsh lighting. I bet your issues can be rectified with a series of peels and/or dermarolling.

When you went to see the aesthetician, did you have a lot of discolouration on your face? I can only think she was referring to red marks as scarring. I can't think of any other explanation for her to say you had severe scarring.

Also, Dr.Lam seems like a stand up guy and he provides a great service with his forum, but I think it is important to remember he only performs TWO (TWO!) procedures for acne scarring. There are many, many more options. If you are interested and in the DFW area, I can give you the names of some doctors that I am planning on making appointments with in the near future.

Best of luck to you.

right. you do realise just how long some of us have been here - jackiey included. when people have spent years researching treatments and come across one or two they feel comfortable with, then good on them.

must we continue to have the same conversations over and over again....

Edited by sydney_fellow

Best of luck to you.

right. you do realise just how long some of us have been here - jackiey included. when people have spent years researching treatments and come across one or two they feel comfortable with, then good on them.

must we continue to have the same conversations over and over again....

I agree with you. If something bothers someone they should do whatever they need to do to fix it. She just seemed upset in another topic about Dr. Lam "implying" she had moderate scarring. I was actually trying to offer a more reasonable, unbiased perspective in an attempt to be comforting and hopeful. In no way was I trying to invalidate the way she feels about her skin. On Dr. Lam's site she also states, " I just would not want to make things worse and then regret my decision." I think the best way to make a good decision is to know all of your options.

Edited by neuroticwaif

I suppose in a way it might upset me a little that someone might think I have moderate scarring. I kinda agree though. Maybe thats just because its my skin. I really like dr. Lam and hes seems straight up. I dont think this guy is going to bs anyone for a buck. I am conflicted about doing anything aggresive with my skin because my family tells me I am crazy. I would hate to make it worse on accident and then have to deal with the fact that I made things worse but then again I would also like to make my skin look more healthy and radiant and smooth.

But thanks again.