Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was wondering, while staring at my red marks and little whiteheads in the mirror, why acne is considered ugly. They're just bumps on our skin, right? And why is oily/shiney skin considered gross/ugly? Shiny hair isn't considered ugly. Why is hair supposed to be shiny and not skin? Why is it OK to have rosy cheeks but not a rosy forehead due to zits? Has nature actually programmed us to think that little bumps and colors on our skin make us less desireable, or has something else programmed us to think so...such as pharmaceutical and makeup companies?! I always find myself telling myself "Gee, I'd be fairly pretty without acne", but why aren't I WITH acne? I don't think guys with acne are ugly, I wonder if there are guys out there who think the same about me :lol:

It's human nature to follow common beauty. What is, "pleasing" to the human eye. Most people we "see" that are seemingly "above" us, cover up and fix up to seem "perfect". TV land has corrupted the way beauty is perceived.

The media tells us what we should look like all the time, theres no escape.......

every time you turn on the TV , pick up a magazine or even walk down the highstreet.

at a time where theres so much preasure on people to look "good" all the time you would have thaught somebody out there would have invented a cure for acne by now.

Personally, i find girls with imperfections far more atractive than yer average barbie doll type because their personalities are usually much deeper.

Yeah... TV has really controlled our ways & outlook in life... You can really say it's hypnotised us. I see girls trying to get slim bodies with big bootys all because of what they see in music videos. Acne doesn't make you ugly, I have scars but some people still seem to find me attractive & look pass the scars... I don't know how they can pass it but they do.. So acne isn't ugly... It's only your personality that can make you ugly. No one is ugly!

Has nature actually programmed us to think that little bumps and colors on our skin make us less desireable, or has something else programmed us to think so...such as pharmaceutical and makeup companies?! I always find myself telling myself "Gee, I'd be fairly pretty without acne", but why aren't I WITH acne? I don't think guys with acne are ugly, I wonder if there are guys out there who think the same about me

Acne is an infection on your face. It is a dysfunction of your biological systems. It makes you unattractive because there's something wrong with you. As such, it would be less desirable to pass on genetics with you.

Acne is an infection on your face.  It is a dysfunction of your biological systems.  It makes you unattractive because there's something wrong with you.  As such, it would be less desirable to pass on genetics with you.

Acne is an infection on your face.  It is a dysfunction of your biological systems.  It makes you unattractive because there's something wrong with you.  As such, it would be less desirable to pass on genetics with you.

Perfection as well is considered beauty, so pimples arnt perfect skin and therefore it is ugly.

If some 90% of teenagers get it at some point in some form, then obviously it doesn't mean something is wrong with you...in fact, wouldn't it be saying there's something right? biggrin.gif Acne doesn't harm anything, so why would it matter if it's passed on to offspring? What if there was a culture that found acne pretty? ( :lol::lol::lol: ) That'd be funny

If some 90% of teenagers get it at some point in some form, then obviously it doesn't mean something is wrong with you...in fact, wouldn't it be saying there's something right? biggrin.gif Acne doesn't harm anything, so why would it matter if it's passed on to offspring? What if there was a culture that found acne pretty? ( :lol::lol::lol: ) That'd be funny

i never thought of it that way katherine :blink: every day im trying to tell myself more and more that no matter with acne or without acne im still beautiful. and one day ONE DAY.......who knows when.......... it'll be gone. biggrin.gif

There is no "perfect" and there is no "ugly" either. Period. Those are just words used to label imperfections that no one really knows too much about.

When people fear something enough, they categorize it and compare it to something that feels right to them; in this case clear skin; "perfect" skin blah blah blah.....

What we don't understand, we fear, and fear tends to lead us in negative directions. The media is a colossul genious. They used the very nature of this fear and have totally taken advantage of it, Thrown back into our faces every day, and turned our lives into a total paranoia beacuse we think that to "fit in" we have to look like those fake bastards on TV.

That's why were so afraid to go out; we think that people will think we're strange or different, or "ugly" because that's what we've been "told". BULLSHIT.

The next time you get scared of your acne, think to yourself about how many clones there are walking around trying to fit in, and you'll realize that there are so many people that are exactly the same....but not you. They lack uniqueness because they're just like everyone else...

Acne is "ugly" because you think it is. If everyone with acne figured out a way to love themselves, no one would care about acne anymore.

Be proud of yourself. I know a few gay people who are proud of being gay, and everyone admires that. If someone doesn't, they keep their mouth shut. Different religions, different races have all found a way to be proud of who they are.

When women allowed themselves to feel inferior to men, that's the way society worked: women were oppressed. When women stood up and said that they won't stand this mistreatment any longer, men accepted them as equals. The same thing happened with different races and with gay people. They were oppressed until someone stood up and said that they won't tolerate this any longer!

Blame society, because it's responsible; Blame yourself, for failing to realize that you're more than the red bumps on your skin!

I think if we weren't assaulted with perfect images in the media every day acne would not be considered so ugly. It's like how in some cultures, larger women are considered the most beautiful yet in our culture it's the stick thin models that have the figure we are told we should have. Because we're told our skin should be flawless we believe blemishes are ugly.

I would love to see people with acne on TV and in magazines. I'd love it if they stopped airbrushing models so we can see that they have a few spots or some cellulite. But considering that's unlikely to happen, I just tell myself my flaws aren't ugly they're just my imperfections and most people have some sort of imperfection (usually under a tonne of makeup). Acne cannot take away your beauty, in my opinion. I have seen plenty of gorgeous people with acne.

Acne is ugly, period. There is no eye of the beholder here. There is no relativism. There is no culture that views acne as attractive.

Acne isn't about values as homosexuality, women's rights, etc. are. Acne is a visible and undeniable biological dysfunction.

In any culture that values "larger" women, there generally is a biological function that being somewhat obese serves, so as to promote survival. Eskimos are a good example of this.

There is some cultural relativism involved in the judgment of beauty, unrelated to genetic viability. However, acne simply isn't applicable in this situation to said relativism.

Acne is ugly. Having severe acne and resultant acne scarring is an indication that there was probably something wrong with a person's biology. I don't really see the reason for this relativist nonsense other than simply trying to make oneself feel better. Alas, reality is a better medicine than fiction.

Why must all suffering drive us to blame? There is nobody to blame to make yourself feel better about your sense of inferiority resulting from your acne. Except perhaps yourself for letting it get in the way of your life. Get over it.

Acne is ugly, period.  There is no eye of the beholder here.  There is no relativism.  There is no culture that views acne as attractive.

Acne isn't about values as homosexuality, women's rights, etc. are.  Acne is a visible and undeniable biological dysfunction.

In any culture that values "larger" women, there generally is a biological function that being somewhat obese serves, so as to promote survival.  Eskimos are a good example of this.

There is some cultural relativism involved in the judgment of beauty, unrelated to genetic viability.  However, acne simply isn't applicable in this situation to said relativism.

Acne is ugly.  Having severe acne and resultant acne scarring is an indication that there was probably something wrong with a person's biology.  I don't really see the reason for this relativist nonsense other than simply trying to make oneself feel better.  Alas, reality is a better medicine than fiction.

Why must all suffering drive us to blame?  There is nobody to blame to make yourself feel better about your sense of inferiority resulting from your acne.  Except perhaps yourself for letting it get in the way of your life.  Get over it.

I agree, it all goes back to looking healthy though, spots on someone in olden times could mean a serious life threatening disease, skin rashes a sign of the plague or bumps German measles. Having white teeth, good skin and healthy hair are considered signs of a person who looks after themself, and therefore someone you're more likely to be attracted to.

Cultures around the world, even in the most remote areas, view a clear complexion as attractive. No culture values chronic acne. In Asia hundreds of years ago, though, black teeth were considered attractive.

Go figure.

Synthesize is right on the money, anyone who disagrees wth his points is simply lieing to themselves or hiding behind a curtain of ignorance.

Synthesize is right on the money, anyone who disagrees wth his points is simply lieing to themselves or hiding behind a curtain of ignorance.