Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Del!

Me and the mirror - we are going to make friends!

Edit- for those of you who want to skip to day 1 - go to page three!!

Edit - people who want to see pictures of my face - go to page 7 know that this is what most people want!!

So here I am, just left the derms and he said I can go on the dreaded tane train!!

Just had bloods done and aslong as they are ok I can start next week!!

40mg a day for 4months, I'm like 100pounds so is that right??

I've stalked these logs for a long time and I'm really hoping that u guys will help me out through the ruff times ahead!!

I'm scared, like shit scared but kind of excited too!!

So if anyone is reading this and has some advice I would really appreciate it!!

Xxx

Edit - I will give a bit of background info and change my sig later coz I'm in the car at the mo on my phone!

Edited by DEL XX

Hey Del. Congrats on starting. Hope this is the end of the road for your troubles. I just posted in your blog too. Didnt realize this was already here.

Hey Del. Congrats on starting. Hope this is the end of the road for your troubles. I just posted in your blog too. Didnt realize this was already here.

Thankyou! I am praying that my bloods come back ok ! Starting on 40 which seems quite high from what I have read on here!! Trying to link my signature but not having much luck!!

Ok so a bit about me.....

I am 24 female and live in Wales in the UK. I have a little girl who is 3 and I want to be able to be a happy mum again and do fun things with her, without worrying about my skin 24 hours a day!!

I havent had acne all my life, it only really started to get bad about 9 months ago. By bad I mean cystic and horrible. This was something I had never experienced before, my skin had always been god, with the odd normal spot here and there!!!

So the doctor put me on Dianette and for the next 3 months my skin went MENTAL!!!!

It calmed down abit but I was still geting nasty spots so I tried N-Lite laser and a bunch of herbal shite! Changed my diet, drank green tea, took supplements, megadoesed on B5 all the usual and it didnt work!

SO the doctor put me on Minocycline 2 months ago which again has helped to certain level but not enough, plus it upsets my stomach and makes me feel out of it!! 6 weeks ago I started Dans regimen and sadly I havent seen the results I would have liked and I know its only been 6 weeks but I just want my life back and my skin is still the same!!

So I decided to go private as there was a 4 month wait to see a derm. He was good and suggested it so I didnt have to plead my case to him!!

I am scared of the side effects but if this my chance to get my life back and be a good, happy, fun mum, then I have to take it - for the sake of my daughter, not just me!!

I am going to continue to take the minocycline for the next week as mr derm said I could....im only on 100mg a day so I am going to take 200mg a day as I know that some people do anyway. Its only for a week and I have a two month supply to use up!!

Hoping that his wll help with the dreaded IB which apparantly only lasts 7-10 days! Yeah right! Like I believe that!

I know I have to moisturise and use lip balm like crazy...need some UK suggestions if poss people? I figure I may as well stock up now!!

Anyways, I guess I will post on here in a few days then hopefully (bloodwork depending) I can post every day after that!!

So long for now!

Hey, Im male 20 from the UK. In December 2009 i finally started my treatment on Roaccutane. I like you was also prescribed 40mg a day for 4 months. The drug is fine, you will get all the usual side effects like dry skin and lips. I had really dry skin on the top of my hands which scabbed a bit. Just use a good moisturizer on your face and take a tin of vaseline with you when you go out. I didnt get a breakout after taking the first pill. My skin looked better everyday. The bad news is 4 months after finishing i now have spots again not as bad but today i have 4 whiteheads ;(. I have a doctors appointment on fridayso i just hope the doctor will refer me. I really dont think he will though as it took him a year and a half and 4 different treatments before he would last time.

Edited by tom111

Hey, Im male 20 from the UK. In December 2009 i finally started my treatment on Roaccutane. I like you was also prescribed 40mg a day for 4 months. The drug is fine, you will get all the usual side effects like dry skin and lips. I had really dry skin on the top of my hands which scabbed a bit. Just use a good moisturizer on your face and take a tin of vaseline with you when you go out. I didnt get a breakout after taking the first pill. My skin looked better everyday. The bad news is 4 months after finishing i now have spots again not as bad but today i have 4 whiteheads ;(. I have a doctors appointment on fridayso i just hope the doctor will refer me. I really dont think he will though as it took him a year and a half and 4 different treatments before he would last time.

well i am paying to go private so i will be telling him to bump me up or extend the course! how bad was ur acne? what was ur total dose and weight if u dont mind me asking??

well i am paying to go private so i will be telling him to bump me up or extend the course! how bad was ur acne? what was ur total dose and weight if u dont mind me asking??

Hey, my acne was really bad on both cheeks about 5-6 spots a day lots of bumps and red marks. My weight was 11st at the time and i was on 40mg a day for 4months didnt go up or down. It worked great, no spots while on the treatment and none after for about 3 months but now im sorry to say its back but this time i get them on my nose,around mouth and on my chin.

Hi! Just wanted to wish you good luck on your Accutane course! I'm just about a month in, so I've already started feeling the side effects and whatnot. Advice? Hmmm... the best thing that comes to mind is to definitely not psych yourself out before you pop the first pill. Soooo many people hear about the potentially intense side effects and then freak themselves out. They start questioning everythingin the first few weeks, and this just makes it worse! Yeah, chances are you will notice the Accutane working, but chances are also that these next 4-6 months won't be bad at all! My side effects (dry skin, bloody noses, slight back pain) are mainly just nuisances. They don't get in the way of my life at all.

It's good that you're looking out for your daughter too! Some people might think, "What? How would going on Accutane help your children?" I have firsthand experience with how acne can disrupt relationships. When I started breaking out in December and January, I all but shut myself off from the world and I damaged some very close relationships. I wish I could take it back, and I know that if I hadn't broken out, those friendships would still be intact. Basically, I have a vendetta against acne for breaking me down like that. ;) Accutane is my revenge.

Good luck, and keep everyone posted! I can't wait to see your progress!

@tom111- thats really crap that it came back....but for your weight maybe you needed a higher dose??

@axtine8- thank you so much for dropping by!! Im going to try and stay positive and just not think about what I am taking! I am glad you understand about my relationship with my daughter.....I too have lost friends and a potential boyfriend over this crap...time to kick it in the but!!!!

Please keep dropping by, Im sure I will have lots of questions!

Something comical to make us all smile....

I dreamt about taking accutane last night...to the point where I was having the side effects and had to wake up and check myself over!! - ISSUES!!!

So looking forward to keeping up with this log :D You gonna post pictures?

So looking forward to keeping up with this log :D You gonna post pictures?

Ye I will if I have the guts, If I post them now though I know that I will have a number of posts saying, 'your acne isnt that bad, do you really want to put poison in your system?'

Ive seen it before and I cant be fuct with the negativity that some people have about tane.

Alot of my acne is under the skin bumps which wont show in pics, so I figured I will wait til I have the big IB and then take pics and do it weekly from there.

Wont be long til you are writing your own log!! u excited/scared?

Ive got this feeling that my bloods are gonna be bad and will have to do them again....I had eaten breakfast before them coz they didnt tell me to fast so will just have to wait and see!!

I know what you mean. If I post photos I know I'll get that response but like you it's mostly under the skin and my nose and cheeks are ruined with blackheads. I can deal with them it's the inflammed ones that get to me. I'm sure the IB won't be bad just the bumps that are there will come to the surface. And there's prob not that much bacteria there cos you're been using the DKR!

I think at this stage I'm just excited! I know what I'll be getting myself in for. I just hope the derm gives it to me cos I'm not touching anymore antibiotics because of their impact on the pill nor am I changing pill cos thats what destroyed my face last year. As long as he's reasonable I'm sure it will be ok.

I'm sure your bloods will be fine. Did you tell them you had eaten? They have different reference ranges for fasting and non-fasting so they can just apply those to your results instead. I'm gonna try to not eat or maybe get up early and have a small brekkie then go back to bed on the day of my appointment. I'm taking it off work so I can go bare-faced too. Did you go without make-up?

I told him I had eaten but I had only had dry cereal and a banana so not like I had eaten a fry up!!

I want to change my pill at the same time I start coz I don want to be on dianette after my course so gonna speak to the derm next week and ask which pill he suggests then go to the GP and get it!

I went with make up on, just light foundation and he didnt even make me take it off! he just rubbed the make up off the spots I had covered - with his fingers - and shone a lamp in my face!

I really admire you if you go without make up, coz it shows how confident you are! I wish I could come with you!!! I had a friend with me coz I recently admitted to 3 of my close mates what I was going through and one of them was like - right well I will drive you there and come with you! It was really sweet!! But I wouldnt go without makeup in front of my friends, even though they dont care!

If i could get into my car and drive without being seen I wouldnt care, but knowing my luck my car would break down on the motorway and I would have to have a handsome man come help me....whilst looking like shite!!!

I am a seriously unlucky person - REAL LIFE EXAMPLE

10 months ago, I was thinking of selling my car coz I had split with the boyf and couldnt afford to run it, it was a Honda Civic Type R - ridiculously expensive .....ANYWAY, I was driving home and stopped in the shop and thought sod it, im putting it for sale on facebook...so I did it right then. 5 minutes down the road what happened???

SOME STUPID MAN IN A WHITE VAN pulled out and made me crash into a fence!!

I literally could not believe it - this is a prime example of how unlucky I am!!

Wow have I rambled!! This log will be 10 pages long before I start!!!

Edited by DEL XX

Hope it works fast and painless for you Del :) xx

Thanks for stopping by! I hope so too!! Xx

I'm sure your bloods will be fine :)

That's a really good idea about the pill. Like maybe go on one thats not associated with forming acne or making it better either. I might do that too for fear of it coming back after getting off dianette. It's happened before!

I only leave my house without makeup if I don't have to get out of the car. Lol! I figure everyone at the derm has some skin condition they're self-concious about. The hard part is gonna be going through the clinic to get to the derm's office cos it's in a big private hospital and clinic.

Aww thanks... I was gonna ask my mam but she's going to a wedding the day after and is staying in the hotel the night before in another county so I don't wanna disturb her plans. She does enough for me already. I was gonna ask the bf but he's got work so I'm gonna stay in his house the night before so I can spend the morning with him at least and then go to my appointment. Forgot to tell you Del but I've booked another trip to Wales. Lol! Going with family and the boyfriend to celebrate my granny finishing up her chemotherapy.

Sucks about the car! Some idiot crashed into me too just befor Crimbo - I was stopeed at traffic lights and he just plowed into me and pushed me into the back of someone else. My car was wrecked and written off so I had to get a new one and of course the insurance money didn't cover all the cost of a new one either.

10 page logs are awesome - esp. before you start! :D

hey Del!

I cant tell you not to be afraid, cause we all were... and still are :) My best advice is to take one day at a time. I am on day 16 today and my side effects are not terrible. Also, I am 120lbs and started at 60mg. I was very concerned, but my derm told me that it was better to start at a good dose and get all the side effects over with, than to have to get the body to adjust and readjust every month, risking yet another break out each time. it seems to be working just fine for me. according to the drug per se... there is a max amount of accutane that your body can handle (based on weight). so depending on your dose, thats how long you are going to be on it. for people on lower doses, like 20mg, it may take up to 8 months depending on their weight. Me, being 120lbs and going on 60mg per day, may only need 4 months or less. i am kind of excited about that.

well, enough about me :) i just wanted to tell you about doses, i didnt want you to think that the lenght determines the sucess... it is the mg accumulation instead.

Good luck! i will be cking your log...

hop3- thanks for stopping by!! I have been keeping up with your log too!

I guess its only natural to be scared, but in all honesty - some of the side effects experienced with the cycline antibiotics are really scary, like drug induced lupus!!

Hopefully have a smooth ride! - keep in touch!! :)

Hey DEL,

Congrats on getting this wonder pill. I hope you have a smooth, enjoable journey with accutane. Ever need advice or support there are tons of people on these boards that will help.

And definitely post pictures, if only just for you so you can keep track of how far you've come along. Don't let negative posters who ridicule you for going on the drug get to you.. they obviously don't know your story.

Good luck :D

hop3- thanks for stopping by!! I have been keeping up with your log too!

I guess its only natural to be scared, but in all honesty - some of the side effects experienced with the cycline antibiotics are really scary, like drug induced lupus!!

Hopefully have a smooth ride! - keep in touch!! :)

Drug-induced lupus?!?!?! :shock: Oh my. If you can get through that, you can get through anything Accutane will throw at you!

Hmm, yeah I guess most people are scared when they start this drug. I don't think I was scared, per se, but I definitely didn't treat it like any other pill I've taken in the past. I had read up on it so much, that by the time I was actually taking it, it was so surreal. I don't know how else to describe it. It was almost a relief when the side effects started kicking in around day 8, because then I knew that it was working and that I wasn't immune to it or something. lol

And you're from the UK? At the risk of sounding so typically American, I have to say that's so awesome. haha :) My dad's side of the family is almost completely English, Scottish and Welsh. My last name is very Welsh, or so I've been told. It's Price-- maybe you could set me straight if I'm completely off. haha Anyway, I spent most of last summer in the UK and I had a fantastic time. I only made it down to Wales once, but it's a beautiful place! You're very lucky.

axtine8 - maybe I should have worded it differently - one of the side effects that can be experienced on minocycline is drug induced lupus...I didnt experience it thank god!!

Wales is beautiful and yes Price is a welsh name!!! I know what you mean about it being surreal, ive read so many logs it feels like an imaginary drug or something!!

where abouts in Wales did u go??

Hey there del, just dropping by to say hi! I just posted over on my log about being scared of accutane, too! I'm so nervous about it. Sometimes I think "let's do this thing" and other times I think "it's not worth it!"....ah geez...time will tell. I know I'll be taking the "one day at a time" approach that hop recommended to you. Anyway, good luck! I'll be reading... :)

La titania - deffo one day at a time, from the results I've seen one here I think it is worth it for most people. I've read the horror stories coz I wanted to know each side of the argument so to speak. The negative stories always outweigh the positives and stick around the most!

Well not long now- tried ringing for my results but no banana, the receptionist was about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike so I have to wait til monday to find out whether I can start! Grrrrr!

On a plus note, I watched toy story 3 today with my little girl! It was brilliant!

Hope ur all ok!!

Do me a huge favour.

Please please PLEASE do not get sunburnt for like a year after going on tane. If I could turn back time I would, the accutane worked well but I got sunburnt a month after stopping and after my skin peeled it got majorly fucked up. If you need to wear a sombrero or become a hermit afterwards, do it.

Not to horror story you, it's just super important that you avoid the sun like the plague.

Edited by Someguy238

axtine8 - maybe I should have worded it differently - one of the side effects that can be experienced on minocycline is drug induced lupus...I didnt experience it thank god!!

Wales is beautiful and yes Price is a welsh name!!! I know what you mean about it being surreal, ive read so many logs it feels like an imaginary drug or something!!

where abouts in Wales did u go??

Whew, that good you didn't actually experience that! I guess if I had read closer, I could have figured that. But I saw 'drug induced lupus' and I was like, "Whaaa?!??!?!"

We spent most of out time in Surrey with some family friends. It was about half an hour outside London by the tube. One day though my sister and I decided to take a long drive to Bath. That made us want to go to Bristol. And then we figured that we could turn it into an overnight trip to Wales and we drove to Cardiff. We only stayed for a day, but it was great! If it isn't too personal, what part are you from?