Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IsaacAlencar

Food & Breakouts

I've been wondering if food causes breakouts. I once read that sugar is like POISON if you have acne, and these last days, I've been eating some -not too much- products that contain sugar.

But, also, sometimes I eat like a pig and my skin stays clear, or I eat healthy and I get horrible breakouts, it doesn't seem to be something I can control, so if you have any info about what could be causing this, I'd be thankful.

Edited by Toni Lavigne

I know for a fact that food is a factor! Greasy foods can eventually cause more breakouts (or so i've heard).

ALso, I have read that the chocolate-causing-acne theory is a myth?

I recently started eating healthier, and i can totally tell a difference in my skin :)

WATER is great for maintaining clear skin, as opposed to pop or sugary juices. :)

Water is overrated. It's all i drink now and i drink a lot of it

I used to drink Pepsi a lot and there wasn't much difference.

Food is key though and not just fast food and greasy foods.

its about glycemic load which is more based on AMOUNT of carbs rather then the type. i can still eat chocolate or any type of sugar every damn day just fine and have acne clear/not breakout or have it worsen by eating a big bowel of 'healthy oatmeal

Edited by captshiner

Chinese food usually has a fuckload of sugar in it, especially the sauces like sweet and sour and hoisin. Last time I ate at a chinese resturant I went a little crazy (my skin had been clear for a while at the time) and got complacent thinking a little chinese food wont hurt, I ended up eating loads of it and getting a badass breakout the next couple lof days.

Im never having chinese takeaway/resturant food again, thankfully though Indian food seems to be ok

Oh, thanks for the answers (:

I don't eat greasy food. And I drink LOTS of water.

Every once in a while I eat chinese food :shifty: it's my favorite... but I think I'll start hating it.

But I wonder why I get breakouts when I eat healthy (not chinese food hahah) and I do every thing to help my skin... I'm really starting to think that I'm cursed :shifty:

...or that sex is also an important factor that causes breakouts.

No sugar, no chinese food, no sex. F*ck off, acne.

By the way, I hate sports and I rarely excercise. Maybe that's another reason, isn't it?

Edited by Toni Lavigne

I know for a fact that food is a factor! Greasy foods can eventually cause more breakouts (or so i've heard).

I recently started eating healthier, and i can totally tell a difference in my skin :)

WATER is great for maintaining clear skin, as opposed to pop or sugary juices. :)

Not true... but I would still avoid junk food. :)

It's OK once in a while.

Edited by EddieE

What do you define as "greasy food". Fat is healthy...if prepared the correct way

Agreed. I think he meant food like pizza.

Pizza, burguers, chinese food... that kind of food, right?

because CheyCheyenne is right, but anyways, I prefer vegan food... and there are times when that's ALL I eat, and still getting breakouts :(

Edited by Toni Lavigne

because CheyCheyenne is right, but anyways, I prefer vegan food... and there are times when that's ALL I eat, and still getting breakouts :(

I would catergorize pizza as white carbs and dairy because of the cheese. Burgers aren't bad if it's good beef...the buns might be bad depending on what it's made of. Chinese food could be categorized as anything really since there are tons of different things on the menu... Anything fried probably has trans fat though so keep that in mind when eating out.

I would catergorize pizza as white carbs and dairy because of the cheese. Burgers aren't bad if it's good beef...the buns might be bad depending on what it's made of. Chinese food could be categorized as anything really since there are tons of different things on the menu... Anything fried probably has trans fat though so keep that in mind when eating out.

Do you eat alot of wheat breads, wheat rice, oatmeal, or anything that has rye, barley and oats? Try just minimizing them and see what happens...I've read that too much of those foods will cause inflammation. i.e. skin, joints etc...I read it from "Primal Blueprint"...

I personally don't think any foods causing breakouts are "myths". It's totally dependent on the person. If chocolate broke everyone out in cysts, we probably would not see people buying chocolate by the ton load.

I for one, cannot eat chocolate at all at this point. Right now, my body cannot process it for whatever reason (food allergy, hormones, stress, candida, all of the above?). So, labeling any food as causing acne or not causing acne in and of itself is a misnomer.

It completely depends on the individual, their state of health, and their bodies tolerance.

By vegan food do you mean a bunch of soy and wheat protein faux foods? Is that what you mean by 'eating healthy?' Because it's not. Or do you mean real food like fruit, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds?

And Chinese food isn't necessarily bad. Obviously stir fried veggies (with lots of cabbage, broccoli, onions, garlic, ginger) are good. Foods fried or covered in thick sweet sauces are not.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

sugar -> processed foods

food sensitivities

dificiencys

grains

lack of sleep sunlight etc

inflamatory foods

all can cause/worsen acne

Look at alternates link

sugar -> processed foods

food sensitivities

dificiencys

grains

inflamatory foods

Look at alternates link

Lack of sleep? Seriously?! :shifty:

...I wanted to share with you what I've been doing (and it seems to be working).

I eat ONLY fruit (apples, watermelon, mangoes, etc) and water for breakfast.

For lunch, I eat chicken and/or fish, water, and again, an apple or some fruit.

And finally, for dinner, I eat fruit again (and/or rice)

LOTS of water during the day, NOT sugar AT ALL, and no sun exposure. I won't eat chinese food anymore :cry: . No junk food and no more calls to papa johns hahaha.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I learned some stuff I didn't know (:

...I wanted to share with you what I've been doing (and it seems to be working).

LOTS of water during the day, NOT sugar AT ALL, and no sun exposure. I won't eat chinese food anymore :cry: . No junk food and no more calls to papa johns hahaha.

That's great that it works for you. You should add in some more meat for dinner if you like and veggies. You're lucky that works for you there's a lot of sugar in fruit! But yeah, go with your gut on this one.

sugar -> processed foods

food sensitivities

dificiencys

grains

inflamatory foods

Look at alternates link

Like the poster above me said, fruit has alot of sugar in it. An apple alone has something like 25 grams of sugar, even though its fructose which apparantly turns into glucose slower than refined sugar. Still though be careful with how much fruit you eat as too much will have the same effect of too much sugar.

But isn't the processed sugar the one which causes acne? I'm honestly not sure if there's any difference.

And yeah, I've been eating more meat: home-made burritos.

But isn't the processed sugar the one which causes acne? I'm honestly not sure if there's any difference.

And yeah, I've been eating more meat: home-made burritos.

Processed sugar (sucrose) and natural sugar (fructose) both eventually turn into glucose eventually, the processed stuff just does it faster. So anything that raises blood glucose levels too high (both sucrose and fructose) have the potential to cause acne, sucrose is just worse for it.

well fructose gets turned into body fat. Which gets burned really slowly. So glucose blood levels wont really fluctutate by it, because it goes to slow with to little amounts at a time right?