Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys! Thank you for opening this, I need some help with my 11 year old's fight with acne. I've noticed that she seems truly depressed about it... but before I tell you more let me give you some info on her skin. She has acne only on the T-Zone of her face, and its definately mild. She also has some on her shoulders. Anyways, she's convinced starving is the way to get rid of acne, which isnt. She's tried Max Clarity which got too expensive. Also, she tried some cheap drugstore products. At the moment she's using Clearasil. Any advice at anything else to use, that is a little bit cheaper than 15 dollars, at least. Thanks!

I can see your daughter's point about starving herself to get rid of acne. Acne does seem to be a digestion issue and when the body finishes digesting food it goes on to heal the skin and clear it up. I've tried it. HOWEVER, you cannot do that forever, and you eventually have to come to terms with how to eat a healthy diet so that the acne stays gone. For acne sufferers, that usually means cutting out cow's milk, refined sugars (in cakes, cookies and candy), hydrogenated oils (like in peanut butter), and possibly certain fruits like bananas, kiwis, strawberries, or oranges, and increasing your intake of vegetables (keeping in mind that some veggies like potatoes and squash can also break you out) and lean proteins (like chicken or fish). It's all about keeping a low GI diet so that the blood sugar doesn't spike.

It doesn't have to be a boring diet. There are sweet vegetables, like mini carrots, sugar snap peas, and sweet potatoes (which is actually a lower GI food than potatoes) which she might like to get into first. I'm also a fan of 100% fruit juices (although some will say those are "bad" for you cuz of the sugar, though in my opinion they contain a lot of vitamins and "good" sugars) You can also try "natural" face masks like carrot juice (which is straight Vitamin A) or egg whites, which will tighten the skin and dry it out. Just leave it on for 20 minutes and wash off.

Most dermatologists won't admit that diet plays such a huge role in acne, but us long term acne sufferers know different. Trust me, I saw dermatologists for years in my teens and it didn't help.

You might want to check out the Nutrition/Diet section for more info on this. But don't let yourself or her get too bogged down by what you should cut out of your diet in order for you not to break out. It can take a few months for a diet to take hold, and if her acne is mild, she might only have to implement one or two diet areas (like cutting out milk/refined sugar) for her face to clear up.

I don't mean to be controversial, but I would really hesitate to encourage an 11 year old to restrict her diet in any manner. Obviously we should all eat nutritious, well balanced meals, but please talk to a doctor before cutting out any foods/food groups. It's important for young girls to have a healthy relationship with food, and since acne seems to be multifactorial, what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.

Personally, I agree with the Diet approach, it really isn't that hard to do, the cravings are really tough though.

But if you want to just put stuff on your face then I suggest a prescription Retinol, or you can try Green Cream which you can order online. I haven't tried either of those because I don't have the money to spare and I like natural methods but they sounded good when I read about them. Maybe you should think about Dan's Clear Skin Regimen.

First, THANK YOU.

My acne started around 10-11 and my mom was just like, "Well, we don't have money, so live with it. It'll go away eventually."

Second, an 11-year-old's is much more sensitive... I remember trying to use BP and similar things at that age and literally getting cracks in my face.

I usually don't recommend derms because they are expensive as f*ck and some people (read: me) have no hope of ever going to one, so there's no point in even bringing it up.

But being as you daughter is young and sensitive and it sounds like you're willing to shell out the dough, I'd say go see a derm.

Third, in my opinion, absolutely teach your daughter what foods she should and should not eat, but make sure she gets that the goal is MODERATION, not STARVATION.

Because that is a vicious cycle.

I decided that if I couldn't have a beautiful face, I would have a perfect body, and developed an eating disorder.

Be careful. Encourage her, tell her she's beautiful and a good person, tell her that kids are mean and when she grows up this superficial bullcrap won't matter, I wish someone would have told me those things, instead of just yelling at me for eating this or that or giving stupid suggestions to get rid of it (ie- only use Dial soap and a washcloth. WHA?).

You're a good mom. Good luck. :)

Well put. You really have to think of it as a long term thing. Acne will, for most people, go away when they enter their 20s so that's a long time to be buying more creams to counter the breakouts. And that's a bucketfull of money spent on those creams. Eating a healthy diet is the cheapest approach and the most beneficial.

Thanks all so much, and no so far I've not taken her to a derm. Her acne is too mild, I think.. anyways the diet is not needed; she's overall pretty healthy and has normal weight. And this may be wrong, I read through her diary and it said about how she wanted to starve so it'll go away. Im scared and if I talk to her I'm afraid of her rebellion.

You can also click on your username and see the topics your daughter has created. One of them is about starving to treat acne. If I were in your shoes I would just sit down and talk with her, try to get it into her head that even if starving got rid of acne, it's only a short term fix and that you're willing to help her as much as possible to find a safe and long term fix for her acne.

Good luck ^^

Since she has acne at this age, despite being only a slight case of it, it will probably get even worse as she gets older. You should really consider looking long term whichever path you choose to treat her acne. I just realized by looking at your daughter's thread about starving to get rid of acne that I eat way too much, I don't mean a little, I mean A whole lot more. Learn something new everyday. Now I just have to stop binge eating.

Edited by helliotion

As her mother, she will be constantly watching your every move and your attitude towards life. She will form many of her value on things, based upon what she learns by visually observing you and what you say (Verbal).

I think it's important for you to confide in your daughter, your problem with beige eating. This inturn, will allow her to open up to you more about her problems with acne and what she is doing to cope with it. It's important to keep a constants relationship and to know where her heart is going on this matter and many yet to come.

YOu have to be able to reassure her, That she can come to whenever she has a problem without the fear of being judged or jumped upon. Ask for help with your eating addiction by starting a different nutrition lifestyle (diet, though I cringe when using the word). Afterall, it's not how much you eat, as it so much what you eat. Do research together in tackling both your problem and hers; Which, actually can be treated very similarly.

It maybe to late but I'd encourage you to maybe start to grow a garden. Which, is basically an activity you both can do together, which helps you both out and lets you have some quality time.

How severe is her acne by the way? At 11, I would think you've caught it early enough, to where you can definetly eliminate any longterm progression. You can beat acne when you attack in internally (the root) as oppose to topically or surface end.

Hope she'll be okay.

opps, Got mixed up between helliot and kaylyn's posts..

Edited by BeautifulPerseverance619

Wow, I learned a lot from just two new posts... so thank you. And I really hope that she doesn't go through with it, but she most likely will im sure if I dont talk to her.

I know theres been a few people watching on this... but if you've just read this I'll give you a quick description. Her acne is very mild, on T-Zone. She's healthy and her weight is good and normal. However, she thinks starving is a cure for acne. She's also been sort of mopey and depressed. I sat her down and talked, but as I thought she rebelled. I honestly don't know what to do. In just a days time, her attitude is dropping to an all time low. I'm afraid she's too young and her skin is too fragile for any big products that actually work... I'm no derm but I think most of my info is correct. Any more advice?

Does she have friends? Does she have activities she participates in?

I find that whenever I'm the most depressed is when I'm sitting around the house doing nothing. Whenever I chill with friends, time seems to fly by, and I don't really have as much time to think about my acne problems.

I'm not sure if you have taken her to a dermatologist yet or not...but if not, then do. It'll help a lot. I wish I would have gotten one 8 years ago. I'd be acne free for the most part...it really sucks. Just don't let her regret not going to one earlier.

yeah, not only is she not helping her condition, she's making it worse.

staying inside all the time, not thinking about anything other than being depressed about your acne will cause stress, and more than likely new acne. and as for starving herself, she's not getting proper nutrients and vitamins and once again, not helping her skin.

the best thing is just find something to motivate her, activities, friends, anything. just don't let her drown in her sorrows just because she has some spots because that won't get rid of them.

maybe get her using this forum will make her feel less alone and see all the possibilities. I would recomend her seeing a professional about her skin. How old is she? if her mood has gone down in just one day it could also be that pubescent hormones are playing havoc with her moods. Her mood will probably improve more than seems likely right now but the best thing to help her will be finding practical ways to address the problem. Starving is one obvious way to feel you have control over yourself so I think its that sense of control she is seeking. She will feel more in control of her body when she can speak to a dermatologist or see practical ways of addressing the problem which have been prooven to work. Reading research can help here too in my experience. xx

if she wants to use diet to help acne she can do this but there are proven ways to help.

Low GI diets and avoiding dairy works for some people...

ujst curious:what do you count as starving? I ask this as people have shown consern for me when I significantly reduced by carb intake and replaced it with Salad and fruit to lower my GI intake. What plans does she have for her eating plan? why do you think she is too young for treatment or that her skin is too fragile?

Hope things have improved for you guys, you are a lovely mother for seeking advice about this issue. Many would not be so supportive x

Starving is proven to exasserbate acne in some. Anorexics often develop acne as a side effect of their compulsion due to vitimin deficiencies caused by avoiding food.

this forum won't help with people that are all ready down in the dumps

i don't think that's entirely true. while sometimes some people can get a little negative and that might not be all that great (but warranted, acne is no fun indeed), this forum can definitely help people feel less alone in their problems and like other people are suffering through the same thing. a lot of people have been able to find some solace in their time here, and some help in the direction where they are taking their lives.

Edited by Rawlin67

it helped me...

Same....

it helped me...

Same....

Same as well. While i still get down in the dumps kinda how i am feeling now, i know it would be much much worse if i never had this forum to be a part of. Thats the biggest thing knowing that your not alone in this, it goes a long long way in helping you cope with it.

It is so amazing of you to notice how this is changing her mood and want to help - and it's so important to help her overcome this early otherwise it will just get harder. If it is really affecting her moods she might benefit from therapy. If her acne is mild and only in the t-zone AND she is young, a dermatologist probably won't do anything for her because it is so normal what she is going through. But she may not understand that, and that's what needs to happen.

When I was 11, the same age as her, I went through a period where I was really depressed and insecure and I isolated myself, would pretend to be sick so that I didn't have to go to school and otherwise not leave the house - I didn't have acne at 11, just a lot of other insecurities due to being bullied at school. When I was 12, I developed anorexia, and was hospitalized after losing a very unhealthy amount of weight in a very short period of time. I began seeing a therapist in the hospital and it completely turned my life around. I definitely don't want your daughter to develop an eating disorder (it frightens me that she thinks starving herself will help her skin) so I think early intervention is key when there are self esteem problems like these. If you can take her to a therapist, do. And again, your wanting to help her is so wonderful - I know I rebelled against my mum 100% of the time when she tried to help me and I was quite awful toward her at times, but she did everything she could to help me anyway, and it worked, and 7 years later I couldn't be more grateful. It saved my life, literally.

And please, emphasize to her as much as you can that she need not starve herself! Food has very little to do with acne, any doctor will tell you that. She needs to understand that! Also that starving will only make EVERYTHING worse. Keep an eye on her eating behaviours, I suppose I am just being paranoid because of the extent I starved myself at that age - sometimes people underestimate the possibility of girls so young developing eating disorders, but trust me, it happens all the time, so I personally would not take threats of self-starvation lightly.

Edited by Mae312