Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Chlorella and Spirulina

Does anyone take these and noticed improvements? Just come across a website stating how great they are for you and just wondering if anyone here has had any experience taking them?

I've been taking both for years (and still am). Don't know if they would be an improvement acne-wise, since I don't have acne. At least they don't cause it (for me) ;) Healthwise I noticed it gives me a lot more energy and I haven't been sick ever since taking these greens (apart from the incidental mild cold where everyone around me had the flu). You can check out this website for more info: Superfoods for optimum health, or download a zip file containing a pdf with the same contents here. When you decide to start adding them to your diet, make sure to get them from a reliable source: Californian or Hawaiian spirulina, Korean or Japanese chlorella. I'd forget about the cheap Chinese products for now.

Yeah, I've been taking both as a supplement in the mornings. I'm on the Paleo diet, and am currently 99.8% clear, so not sure if it's the diet or the added supplements, but they are not having adverse effects...

I've been taking both for years (and still am). Don't know if they would be an improvement acne-wise, since I don't have acne. At least they don't cause it (for me) ;) Healthwise I noticed it gives me a lot more energy and I haven't been sick ever since taking these greens (apart from the incidental mild cold where everyone around me had the flu). You can check out this website for more info: Superfoods for optimum health, or download a zip file cointaining a pdf with the same contents here. When you decide to start adding them to your diet, make sure to get them from a reliable source: Californian or Hawaiian spirulina, Korean or Japanese chlorella. I'd forget about the cheap Chinese products for now.

Thanks for the link, will have a read through that. Do you think these ones would be okay, i find Now Foods to usually be fine...

Chlorella

Spirulina

Hard to tell, but I guess Now is OK. Make sure to stock up on it, the serving size is a laugh. If you're taking them to address an issue, you want to build up to 10 (or even 20) grams daily. Make sure to build up slowly, especially chlorella. Once you feel better, slowly cut down until you find a dose that you're comfortable with.

Haha, it sounds like a lot, but it's actually not. Both spirulina and chlorella are food sources, not just supplements. They're digested just like other foods. You could take even more than 10 or 20 grams without a problem. I use pressed pills (just like the Now products you linked), because I can buy them from from a wholesale company in my country (they also sell powder, but for me pills are much more convenient, I can take them with me wherever I go). I usually buy 5 kg at a time, quite expensive, but in the end it saves me a lot of money. I'd say just try the Now pills. If you're satisfied, send me a PM and I'll show you where I buy mine in bulk, I'll help you get them to the UK if you want to.

Yeah there seems to be an issue on what is on the labels and what other people suggest to take. Their claimed to be best taken with probiotics since it helps certain strains perform better.

Chlorella - 5-10grams - 31$ per 500g [uS prices]

Spirulina - 10-20grams - $23 per 500g [uS prices]

there's a (S)2:1© rule. I would take it in the morning before breakfast or with a smoothie of some sort. Double check that though.

Haha, it sounds like a lot, but it's actually not. Both spirulina and chlorella are food sources, not just supplements. They're digested just like other foods. You could take even more than 10 or 20 grams without a problem. I use pressed pills (just like the Now products you linked), because I can buy them from from a wholesale company in my country (they also sell powder, but for me pills are much more convenient, I can take them with me wherever I go). I usually buy 5 kg at a time, quite expensive, but in the end it saves me a lot of money. I'd say just try the Now pills. If you're satisfied, send me a PM and I'll show you where I buy mine in bulk, I'll help you get them to the UK if you want to.

Wow thanks yeh that would be great. I shall get them ordered and see how i get on with them.

Yeah there seems to be an issue on what is on the labels and what other people suggest to take. Their claimed to be best taken with probiotics since it helps certain strains perform better.

Chlorella - 5-10grams - 31$ per 500g [uS prices]

Spirulina - 10-20grams - $23 per 500g [uS prices]

there's a (S)2:1© rule. I would take it in the morning before breakfast or with a smoothie of some sort. Double check that though.

Take with probiotics? Interesting, that's new to me. Do you have more info on that? I heard about the 2:1 "rule", but imo it's rubbish. I don't see why it would be better to consume less chlorella than spirulina, since both have overlapping as well as unique properties. I've been taking both 1:1 for years. These prices are insane btw! I'd appreciate it if you could you PM me where you get them, as I pay more than that when buying in bulk. Thanks! :)

Wow thanks yeh that would be great. I shall get them ordered and see how i get on with them.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure you'll like them, despite the nasty taste ;)

My Chlorella arrived today but no sign on the Spirulina just yet. How much would you recommend to start taking? My Chlorella supplements are 1000mg so just wondering how many you think i should be taking? Also just wondering do you bite into the supplements and take them that way or just wash them down with water? Just wondering because you mentioned about the taste ;)

Just reading about this 2:1 rule and wondering what is there idea behind it? I cant really see sense in it either but just wanting to know why some recommend it.

My Chlorella arrived today but no sign on the Spirulina just yet. How much would you recommend to start taking? My Chlorella supplements are 1000mg so just wondering how many you think i should be taking? Also just wondering do you bite into the supplements and take them that way or just wash them down with water? Just wondering because you mentioned about the taste ;)

I'd start off slowly, like 1 before or with every meal. Try for a couple of days and then start upping the dosage. And don't bite them, I bet half of it will stick to your teeth then, just swallow with water.

Does anyone have any ideas if they are helpful at all against candida?

They should, because they have an alkalinizing effect on the body, candida thrives in an acidic environment.

Just reading about this 2:1 rule and wondering what is there idea behind it? I cant really see sense in it either but just wanting to know why some recommend it.

Chlorella has pretty powerful detoxifying properties, that's why some advice to take spirulina:chlorella in a 2:1 ratio. Personally I never did, but maybe if your dosage is high, it's something to consider.

Do you think it could cause an initial breakout? My back is getting a few big spots on it lately and im just wondering if it could be due to the chlorella and spirulina. I wouldnt be surprised really if there is a detox sort of effect when first taking it.

Yes, I've tried both for weeks but I'd be lying to you if I said it helped improve anything.

Do you think it could cause an initial breakout? My back is getting a few big spots on it lately and im just wondering if it could be due to the chlorella and spirulina. I wouldnt be surprised really if there is a detox sort of effect when first taking it.

Possibly. They never caused me a breakout (or an initial breakout) though. If it's something you never experienced before, it could be due to the chlorella/spirulina. I'd hang in there, continue using them and see what your condition is in about a month. If you don't see and feel any changes whatsoever by then, you might as well stop taking them. It would surprise me though.