Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
themintyness

Will Primary Care Doctor Write Rx?

I went to a medical spa at a dermatology clinic for a cosmetic consult...I went in there prepared and did my research, and I was given a tube of .025 generic Tretinoin cream...I paid $64 for it!

My question is, can I have my primary care doctor write me a prescription for this stuff? I have insurance...I'm just also a little confused because I didn't get a Rx, I was just given the tube of the stuff and I paid for it! She knows I have past issues with acne and she was the one who prescribed me the pill originally for my skin...and I decided to go off it because the clear skin just wasn't worth it.

I like the product so far, hope someone can answer my question!

Edited by themintyness

Huh! That's weird... I assume that it would vary with doctors and their dispositions, but my physician said that it would be better for a derm to look at it and gave me a referral. You could always call the doctor's office and ask about your situation. It certainly can't hurt! :)

I went to a medical spa at a dermatology clinic for a cosmetic consult...I went in there prepared and did my research, and I was given a tube of .025 generic Tretinoin cream...I paid $64 for it!

My question is, can I have my primary care doctor write me a prescription for this stuff? I have insurance...I'm just also a little confused because I didn't get a Rx, I was just given the tube of the stuff and I paid for it! She knows I have past issues with acne and she was the one who prescribed me the pill originally for my skin...and I decided to go off it because the clear skin just wasn't worth it.

I like the product so far, hope someone can answer my question!

Yes, a primary care doctor can write a prescription.

Check the ingredients on the cream. The brand Retin A cream is comedogenic and should only be used by people who aren't acne prone, for wrinkles. The gel or liquid tretinoin is fine. The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Regarding retinoids. Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

Medi-spas have consultant MDs or NPs or PAs who are either on premises or available by phone or email to give verbal orders for prescriptions or to actually write prescriptions. There may be 'standing orders' in place, whereby someone comes in with such and such and they automatically get prescribed something specific for it. The doctor/NP/PA has to sign off on standing orders so that they can be used. So you got that cream by prescription as well.

Thanks for explaining everything! I have heard the comedogenic effect of the tretinoin cream, I'm hoping that the increased cell turnover will cancel that out...in any effect, I got the small 20g tube and I've already used a big dent in it (I only use a pea-sized amount and I've skipped two days...been using it for about a week).

I made an appointment with my family doctor to discuss options for my skin.