Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sydney

What to do for Rolling Scars??

Well, I started my teens with the worst cystic acne my Derm had ever seen in his 40 years ... I'm 18 now and left with a face FULL of rolling scars. Needless to say I hide my face from people.. and myself...

My mom and I have been researching every avenue to help.. since reading this message board for years (we love this board!).. we have come to the conclusion that dermabrasion from Dr. Y in New Orleans is the way to go....

So, my question to you, before I take the plunge into dermabrasion....

Does TCA Cross work for ROLLING scars?

Erbium laser? (Did I spell that right LOL)

Lots and lots of peels??

Does needling work (2 derms say no on rolling scars...depressing - BUT maybe they are wrong?)

Subcision?

Sorry if I have asked to many questions or if you have answered all these before - I have done searchs on the board - and found some answers... but I just need more because I am scared to do Derma.. But, if this is what I need to do - well, then I will.

My scars are the shallow rolling puffy type then flatten - that span both cheeks - down to jaw - ( I hope I explained that right)

Any response would be greatly appreciated beyond words

Thank you

Sydney

NO on lasers, any kind. Too much risk with subcision for shallow rolling scars, as it could become a hypertrophic scar if overcorrected. I'd say YES on dermabrasion, maybe one, maybe 2 or 3, but it's the way to go to level things down. Also, Isolagen, currently available in London, is another option. Maybe combination of both; first Isolagen, then dermabrasion. Peels are overrated!

(NO on lasers, any kind. Too much risk with subcision for shallow rolling scars, as it could become a hypertrophic scar if overcorrected. I'd say YES on dermabrasion, maybe one, maybe 2 or 3, but it's the way to go to level things down. Also, Isolagen, currently available in London, is another option. Maybe combination of both; first Isolagen, then dermabrasion. Peels are overrated)

Thank you for your response!

Do Derms do Isolagen in USA?

Thanks

Sydney

It's not FDA approved in the U.S. yet. I'm in CA, and would have already taken advantage of it had it been available. It's why I'm going to London to have it done. BTW, how long have you had scarring? How did it all start for you.. Failed treatments, your acne was unresponsive, or your dermatologist was just incompetent maybe? Were you on Accutane?

-Nic

Hi Nik

Mine started when I was 15 - Big huge and I mean huge painful cysts while I was on Accutane. My derm tried to do his best, but it was out of control. I even had to take leave from High School because it was so painful plus everytime my face was bumped it would bleed.

I live in California too... Near Sacramento.

I haven't tried any remedies as of yet.. I don't have a lot of money to spend on things that don't work - that is why I read this board daily in hopes that someone with ROLLING scars has had luck in reducing them.

So you are going to London to have Isolagen done... How exciting! I wish you all the luck in the world in your quest for nice skin...

Are you considering dermabrasion after Isolagen?

How old are you?

Thanks for your replys

Sydney

Smoothbeam helped with the rolling scars around my lower jaw/sides of mouth. I had my last treatment, five total, about a month ago though...dunno if it'll be permanent.

Telver,

When you say it helped, what do you mean exactly? This is another treatment I have been considering for a similar problem, since it is noninvasive, and I don't really feel like I need to remove my scars entirely, nor do I think that's possible. I have heard that Smoothbeam makes mild improvements. I was just wondering if you could describe the difference in appearance of the scars. Are they raised more in-line with the surrounding skin? Are they "softer" in appearance? How much improvement did you get from it?

Thanks,

John

A good amount of my very shallow scars are all but gone at this point, I can look at my jawline/around the mouth area in the light and notice only a few contours. It was never god awful horrible, but it was definetly worse five months ago when I started the treatments. I paid around $1200 for 5 treatments, and while it's really done nothing for my active acne, I think it was worth it just for the minor improvement I got with my rolling scars. I'm told that it will continue to improve over the next couple of months by the lady who did the zapping, but I've also read on here where people said the improvement went away. So I'm just waiting patiently. It's kind of hard to describe, so I apologize for not being able to give a concrete answer.

For rolling scars, you could research the following:

- needling

- fillers (such as fat transfer, isolagen, etc.)

- TCA CROSS performed by a Doctor

- Subcision in combination with a non-ablative laser such as N-Lite

- Dermabrasion

This is by no means a complete list, but definitely worth looking into.

- I have heard that TCA CROSS does work on rolling scars, if a Dermatologist who is experienced does the procedure. That said, I don't think it would be a good idea to try on oneself.

- Erbium laser may improve your scarring, but you may need more than one treatment. Also, it's possible that it won't improve your scarring. In addition there are possible side effects (such as orange peel texture skin). Research before proceeding.

I had CO2 laser surgery and saw some softening of my scarring, but the effect was not permanent for me.

- Lots and lots of peels may soften the appearance of your scarring, but not in a major way.

- I have had two lots of needling and I think my scarring has improved somewhat, but not something I'd put a % on.

- I had subcision in combination with N-Lite and the effect was not permanent for me.

Also, keep in mind that different skin reacts differently to scar treatments, so what did or did not work for someone may or may not work the same for you, or someone else.

Sydney, Yeah, and I hope the Isolagen is as good as promised. Also hope it's permanent. I'll have the dermabrasion prob. 3-4 weeks after the Isolagen. I'll prob. need a few dermabrasions, since I won't settle for anything less than 90% improvement, if not more. I'm 25, and thanks, good luck in your quest for pre-acne skin, too.

oursfan hey girl!so do you think is safe to do tca at home?i know maya did her own,i was thinking about doing it.i just gotta find a place to hide out for a week.i think my skin will handle it well.im still doing smoothbeam iam up to a setting of 13 and my face is hardly red afterwards.i just hate playing the waiting game with all that peeling .but i guess no pain no gain.and you guys know that pain im talking about just feeling like you wanna put a paper bag over your head .

Honestly - It depends on the person doing it. I think if you have thoroughly read the article, and most of the TCA thread on this board, and have an extremely steady hand, it's possible to do it. However, if you do it, you face the possibility of scarring yourself further. It's a decision you have to make. When in doubt, don't do it yourself.

If you're totally fed up with the scarring, then I agree that more invasive measures are the way to go. You've just got to be sure you can deal with the possible outcomes.