Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay326

Levulan Treatment

Has anyone done this treatment? If so, how did it go for you? I went into a local spa a few days ago and they said this was their most powerful treatment for acne and hyperpigmentation. If you have insurance, it's usually covered, which is great news! If you don't have insurance like me, it costs around $400. I don't have enough money for multiple treatments, but the lady said even after one treatment you can see a huge difference and once I can save up more money just get it done every now and then for maintenance. Downtime is typically one week.

Any questions, comments, concerns are very welcomed. I'll be getting the treatment done on the 28th and I'll try my best to remember to take before and afters for anyone who is curious.

Edited by Jay326

Has anyone done this treatment? If so, how did it go for you? I went into a local spa a few days ago and they said this was their most powerful treatment for acne and hyperpigmentation. If you have insurance, it's usually covered, which is great news! If you don't have insurance like me, it costs around $400. I don't have enough money for multiple treatments, but the lady said even after one treatment you can see a huge difference and once I can save up more money just get it done every now and then for maintenance. Downtime is typically one week.

Any questions, comments, concerns are very welcomed. I'll be getting the treatment done on the 28th and I'll try my best to remember to take before and afters for anyone who is curious.

Yes, I have had one levulanic acid/blue light treatment and it was after I had several smoothbeam treatments. I liked the outcome, I probably would have got another if I had the $$$. Here is how it goes: first off I had a dermatologist perform it she was very practiced in it. So I arrive she had me wash my face with a good cleanser first then she had me sit in a reclining medical chair where she proceded to take a sponglike exfoliater to remove excess dead skin all over my face then she cleansed a final time with a cottonball dipped in alcohol. Once that was completed she then "painted" my face with levulanic acid and had me wait an hour with in on. After the time she had me wash it off with a good cleanser

Then proceded to have me lay down with metal eye covers on under a light machine were she set the level as high as she allowed for this procedure and I stayed under for I think ten to fifteen minutes or so. Once complete she gave me a bottle of after care creme to apply immediatly and for the following 7 days and also some sunblock spf 50. Note pain was minimal ,it just lightly stung like a bad sunburn all over my face. Note I was not very broken out (a few medium bumps and some little whiteheads) going into this treatment and that may have been a factor of why it went well for me.

After care- first two days no shower, just a light face wash in the mornings and evenings with LUKEwarm water and a gentle cleanser then I would apply creme+spf. Note there was a medium amount of peeling but after about the fifth day it was almost normal just some around the mouth(it seemed to flake and crack more when I smiled). I added showers by the third day and followed through to the seventh and kept using the creme+spf till the ninth day then went back to my normal routine abeit a little more gental still. Over all I only got a 2 breakouts during recovery but thankfully they went away okay and in the end it helped my skin texture/color by about 25percent and reduced(not eliminated) my bigger breakout frequency by about 45percent(keep in mind I had the smoothbeam done before hand).

Sorry for this being long I just wanted you to know how it should be done correctly(plus what to possible expect) and don't be afraid to ask them BEFOREhand how there specific clinic performs this treatment and if it is missing any steps or you don't feel they are satisfactory/compitent enough then before you make a quick pressured choice don't hesitate to search out a place you do feel is adequate and that you a comfortably with. I wish you great results and the best of luck!

PS as far as result/cost ratio if like me you are straped for money these procedures(you need about 4 to 6 of them to get there advertised results) break the bank and you do NEED multiple ones(there lying if they say you don't) in the end I say there other procedures that I could have done for that amount of cash which would have probably garnerd even better results. If you do have the cash though I say do it.

Thanks alot for the post. Yeah she told me basically how it works and I've been googling and youtubing, it's exactly how you said it. I'm extremely excited for the treatment...but I can only afford one at the moment. My active acne seems to be getting alot better lately so I'm mainly doing it for my hyperpigmentation, so hopefully just one treatment will be able to help alot with my skin tone and then I can do another treatment in the near future when I come into some more cash.

By the way, did you have any blackheads before this treatment? The one thing I can never seem to get under control is blackheads on the nose area, hopefully this will work for them as well.

Edited by Jay326

By the way, did you have any blackheads before this treatment? The one thing I can never seem to get under control is blackheads on the nose area, hopefully this will work for them as well.

Your welcome! With how you describe your predicament I think you will benefit. What you should expect from the outcome will probably be 15 to 20percent realalistic improvement you should see after a few weeks.

No, and those are probably not blackheads but sebaceous filaments which is just open pore solidified sebum. EVERYone has that till the day they die. Let me guess its little darker gunk that can come off with a swipe of a finger nail downword, yeah you will always have that, sometimes the filament shrinks with age or accutane(I advise doing nether). This treatment will probably make the filament shrink too but nothing will ever completely rid it(and yes people w/out acne have it to and truth be told no one even sees it on each other). Anyway, I really hope this goes great for you and you achieve the results you're looking for! Good luck!

I had one done last November.....Honestly i haven't seen really any improvement , When i did research it seemed as if the treatment is used to treat active acne more so than marks/hyperpigmentation....Comes off to me like it MIGHT help hyperpigmentation rather than that's it's main focus to treat....Which is what i was looking for

I went back a couple months later and still asked to be treated for hyperpigmentation....And then she recommended another type of laser which is more expensive and aggressive....Think it was called "pearl laser" i still haven't had it done though

My hyperpigmentation is probably worse than yours....I have more of a patches of discoloration rather than just "marks" or spots"...But even then i have a few of those on my cheeks and they're still there too.

http://www.timelessskinsolutions.com/levulan.shtml

Here is info from the site of the place i went to...Might give you some information you haven't found on the internet yet

Thanks alot for that link, very informative. Sucks you didn't have a good experience with it...now I'm a little less excited :/ When I talked to the lady she gave me the impression it helps both acne and hyperpigmentation. The whole reason I decided to go with Levulan is because my mom is getting the same treatment, but for her sunspots. So I figured...if it's effective at removing sunspots, wouldn't it be effective against removing or help fading red marks?! I really really hope so.