Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mae312

what is this?

I really don't know what this is. I measured it and it's about 5mm across exactly. It hurts when I touch it, and occasionally I feel a twinge of pain in that area without touching it at all. There is definitely nothing in it (although I haven't tried to pop it or anything, it hurts too much to ev

Edited by Mae312

The thing about acne is that it is an infection. Sometimes it won't spread across all your face, but other times it can. Just be careful.

When it comes to pimples like these, the best time to stop it is as soon as you feel it coming up. Ideally you should be on some sort of an exfoliation regimen -- often some sort of AHA product can help.

To prevent, hard pimples like these, as soon as you feel em coming up, ice em for a few min 3-4 times that day and put benzoyl peroxide 5% couple of times a day. I find it best to leave a small blob on that. That should take care of it.

I really don't know what this is. I measured it and it's about 5mm across exactly. It hurts when I touch it, and occasionally I feel a twinge of pain in that area without touching it at all. There is definitely nothing in it (although I haven't tried to pop it or anything, it hurts too much to even think about that). It only just appeared yesterday. I've had these before, it's really the only type of acne I tend to get and it never "surfaces" or anything - just stays red and eventually fades.

Thank you! Do you think it is just a pimple? I was worried it might be a nodule or cyst. I do use benzoyl peroxide but it still takes quite a while to go down in size and even longer for the redness to fade.

See the link in my signature that starts "What to do..." for some tips on dealing with a lesion like that.

Thank you so much, I will look at that!

I'm still wondering though, is there a possibility that this is a nodule or cyst? Or is it just a spot that's really inflamed?

I'm pretty sure it is a cyst. You've said that you cannot even imagine messing with it therefore you probably haven't and for a pimple to get that big and inflamed without being messed with is most likely a cyst. I get them sometimes and that's what mine look like. Just follow what Wynne told you to do. That's about all you can do unless you have a dermatologist you can quickly go to for a cortisone shot.

Thank you so much, I will look at that!

I'm still wondering though, is there a possibility that this is a nodule or cyst? Or is it just a spot that's really inflamed?

It looks like a nodule.

http://www.acne.org/whatisacne.html Scroll down a bit and you'll see some images and definitions.